Rate of change of area in sphereical baloon, .

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving finding the rate of change of area of a spherical balloon as it is being inflated at a constant rate. The equations for volume and area of a sphere are given, and the chain rule is used to determine the rate of change of radius with respect to time. Eventually, the correct answer is found by using the given information and applying the chain rule to the equation for change in area.
christian0710

Homework Statement

I have a homework assignment that I find challengingA spherical baloon is being inflated at a rate of 10 cu.in/sec (i assume it's cubic inches per second)

Find the rate of change of area when the baloon has radius=6

Homework Equations

So far I know that

V=(4/3)*pi*r^3
A=4*pi*r^2

dV/dt = 10 in^3/secSo the question is, how do I find dA/dt when radius=6 and the volume increases at a rate of 10 in^3/sec ?

I'm realyl stuck here. Can someone help?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've just been wild guessing here. I know that dV/dt= 4*pi*r*dr/dt and that dV/dt=10, but if i substitute it into
10= 4*pi*r*dr/dt and isolate dr/dt, I don't really get anywhere.

The answer is supposed to be 10/3 in^2 sec.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apply the chain rule more carefully. You have some errors.

I find it helpful to slow down and take more careful (smaller steps):

dV/dt = dV/dr * dr/dt

dV/dr = stuff

Likes christian0710
So dV/dr = 4*pi*r^2
dr/dt = How do i find this?

christian0710 said:
So dV/dr = 4*pi*r^2
dr/dt = How do i find this?

It's the only unknown left in the dV/dr equation.

Solve for it as a number, then plug that number into your equation for dA/dt = dA/dr * dr/dt.

Likes christian0710
You are given a rate of inflation, this is dV/dt. First you say it is 6 but in your work you refer to 10. Please be more clear.
You have the stuff you need already.
dV/dt = dV/dr * dr/dt
dA/dt = dA/dr * dr/dt

You can simply use the given information to find dr/dt, then plug that into your equation for change in area.

[edit] I was too late.

Likes christian0710
Thank you so much, it works!

just a last question: So how do you just know that you must apply the 2 chain rules beneath?

dV/dt = dV/dr * dr/dt
dA/dt = dA/dr * dr/dt.

Is it beacuse you know that the change in V and A depends on time and on radius r?

It is because the change in r depends on t.
If G(a) = G(a(t)) then dG/dt = dG/da*da/dt. That is what the chain rule says.

Likes christian0710
I knew what to do from years of teaching Calculus and for the reasons RUber described.

Students may not always see what to do, so I encourage them:

When you do not know what to do, take some steps you do know how to execute properly.

Then reassess and see if you are any closer to finding the variable you are trying to solve for.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, RUber and christian0710
Thank you very much! I really appreciate the help !

Likes OrthoJacobian

Related to Rate of change of area in sphereical baloon, .

What is the rate of change of area in a spherical balloon?

The rate of change of area in a spherical balloon refers to how quickly the surface area of the balloon is changing over time. It is measured in units squared per unit of time.

Why is the rate of change of area important in a spherical balloon?

The rate of change of area is important in a spherical balloon because it affects the balloon's volume and overall size. As the surface area changes, so does the amount of air or gas inside the balloon, which can impact its buoyancy and stability.

How is the rate of change of area calculated in a spherical balloon?

The rate of change of area in a spherical balloon can be calculated using the formula dA/dt = 4πr²(dR/dt), where dA/dt is the rate of change of area, r is the radius of the balloon, and dR/dt is the rate of change of the radius.

What factors can affect the rate of change of area in a spherical balloon?

The rate of change of area in a spherical balloon can be affected by various factors such as the material and thickness of the balloon, the pressure and type of gas inside the balloon, and external forces such as wind or temperature changes.

How can the rate of change of area in a spherical balloon be used in real-life applications?

The rate of change of area in a spherical balloon has many practical applications, such as in designing and predicting the behavior of hot air balloons, weather balloons, and inflatable structures. It can also be used in understanding the expansion and contraction of materials at different temperatures.