US school suggestions for second BS in Physics

In summary, 28-year-old male from Philadelphia who is struggling to find a fulfilling career in IT and lacks a pure sciences background wants to return to school and study Physics. He feels that the intellectual stimulation and power of Physics is something that he cannot ignore and would be good at teaching at the community college level. Despite having a decent job and many student loans, he is willing to move to a new area or states if necessary in order to pursue a Physics degree.
milhous
Hello. Longtime reader, first time poster.

I'm 28, and graduated from a decent school in Philadelphia in 2005, though I wasn't a very good student--mostly a lack of maturity and discipline. Having obtained a BS in Information Systems has led to work in various IT careers that haven't been too fulfilling or rewarding, though compensation has been fine. In addition, having such a specialized degree means that I have an insufficient pure sciences background to pursue study at the graduate level, though I've taken 2 semesters of Calc and enjoy math and science in general.

Recently, I moved to the San Francisco Bay area in hopes that in a few years time, I could get into a school in either the UC or Cal State system. Unfortunately, the odds are against us for second BS applicants due to the state's horrendous budget deficits and the schools' dependence on state funding. I have a decent job that pays well, but also have quite a bit of student loans that I'll need to pay back in the coming years.

Returning to school has been on my mind since graduating, and I feel that academia is where I belong at this point in my life--it is something that I cannot ignore.

Within this time, I've concluded that Physics is THE major to study for its intellectual stimulation, and promotion of critical thinking. Physics provides many avenues if I ever wanted to pursue graduate school, or return to the workforce for something more rewarding. I admire Physics for its universality and power in understanding nature and the universe. Perhaps I would even consider teaching someday at the community college level.

Should attempts at school in California fail, I'm willing to move somewhere else that has a good Physics faculty/program. Forget about the first or second-tier of schools, I simply don't have the credibility for admittance.

Ideally a public school would be great for its lowered cost (and understand I'd have to pay out-of-state tuition the first year and try to get in-state rates for subsequent years once residency is established), and an area with a low cost of living. I suppose its either that or just finding a job and working for a year before starting.

I could always move back home to PA with my family to save money. But the the local educational offerings aren't that great imo.

In the meantime, I continue to self-study using Halliday-Resnick and Mathematical Methods in Physical Sciences.

In closing, I wish there was a school that would offer either a full or partially online degree program in more of these traditional majors. It's disappointing that many of these online programs available today are tailored primarily to vocational objectives. However, I do concede that there is likely insufficient demand to satisfy a niche of people like myself who want to get a second BS in Physics because it's unconventional.

I welcome your suggestions, especially those from instructors, professors, and advisors from the Physics community.

Thanks you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

try speaking to someone in the one of the physics departments you may be interested about what the core courses they require for acceptence into their grad program. I think a better option, time-wise, is to avoid doing a new BS from scratch and instead self study to the point where you can jump right into 2nd, 3rd , or 4th year courses. From here, assuming all goes well, you could probably jump right into a graduate program with a year or two of catching up. I just did the exact same thing, but with math (starting grad school in sept) instead of physics. Good luck.

Cool, thanks for the advice! I started reached out to one of the state schools where I'm from and was surprised to see that they had a great Physics department with many of their grads going to the top schools. Tuition's cheap too. Wish I knew this 10 years ago!

I agree with some_dude... skip the second BS, and try to get into an MS program after jumping into some upper division undergraduate courses. Since you mention that you are in the Bay Area, I know that SJSU has a program called "Open University", which you can call "Show up and pay for courses"... you can take up to 24 units of undergraduate courses or 6 units of graduate courses without being formally admitted. I'm sure other state schools have similar programs.

Good luck!

Dear reader,

I understand your desire to pursue a second BS in Physics and I commend you for your interest in the subject. Physics is indeed a fascinating and intellectually stimulating field that offers many opportunities for further study and career options.

I understand the challenges you are facing in trying to find a school in California that will accept second BS applicants, especially with the current state budget deficits. However, I encourage you to keep searching and not give up on your dream of returning to academia. You may also want to consider reaching out to individual professors or departments at specific universities to see if they would be willing to make an exception for your situation.

In addition, you mentioned the option of online programs for a second BS in Physics. While there may not be many options currently available, I believe that with the increasing demand for online education, there may be more opportunities in the future. I would recommend keeping an eye out for any new programs or developments in this area.

In terms of finding a school with a good Physics faculty and program, I recommend researching universities with strong reputations in the field and reaching out to their departments for more information. You may also want to consider attending conferences or events in the Physics community to network and gather information about potential schools.

Lastly, I would advise you to continue your self-study and preparation for graduate school by using resources like Halliday-Resnick and Mathematical Methods in Physical Sciences. This will not only keep you engaged and motivated, but also show your dedication and passion for the subject.

I wish you the best of luck in your search for a second BS in Physics and in your future endeavors in academia. Don't give up on your dream and continue to pursue your passion for Physics.

Related to US school suggestions for second BS in Physics

1. What are the requirements for admission to a second BS program in Physics in the US?

Admission requirements for a second BS program in Physics typically include a completed undergraduate degree in a related field, such as mathematics or engineering, as well as a strong background in physics coursework. Some programs may also require GRE scores and letters of recommendation.

2. How long does it take to complete a second BS program in Physics in the US?

The length of the program can vary depending on the individual course load and any transfer credits from previous coursework. Typically, a second BS program in Physics can take 1-2 years to complete.

3. Are there any specific schools in the US known for their second BS programs in Physics?

There are many reputable schools in the US that offer second BS programs in Physics, including top universities such as MIT, Caltech, and Harvard. It is important to research and compare programs to find the best fit for your academic and career goals.

4. Can I transfer credits from my previous undergraduate degree to a second BS program in Physics?

Yes, many schools will allow transfer credits from previous coursework, as long as the credits are relevant to the Physics program and meet the school's requirements. It is important to check with the specific program and school for their transfer credit policies.

5. What career opportunities are available with a second BS in Physics from a US school?

A second BS in Physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, education, and technology. Graduates may also choose to pursue advanced degrees in Physics or related fields. It is important to research potential career paths and determine which program will best prepare you for your desired career goals.