Upper level "Core" courses most important for grad school?

In summary, graduate schools prioritize upper level courses in core subjects, such as math, science, and writing. The number of courses required varies by program, but it is recommended to take at least 3-4. It is not recommended to substitute core courses with related courses, but it is possible with approval. It is important to spread out core courses throughout your undergraduate career and it is generally recommended to take them in person at a four-year university. However, some programs may accept online or community college courses if they meet requirements.
Lagraaaange
Core being Thermal, Mechanics, E&M, Quantum? Say I graduate with a average 3.4 gap, but ace these courses, would Grad admissions care about a rough first year including Cs in Calc I and II and Bs in General Physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are unlikely to get into MIT, but there are some top 100 schools that will have you.

Your Physics GRE, letters of recommendation, and research matter a lot also.

Related to Upper level "Core" courses most important for grad school?

1. What are the top core courses that graduate schools look for?

Graduate schools typically prioritize upper level courses in the core subjects of your field, such as advanced math, science, and writing courses. These courses are important as they demonstrate your proficiency in the fundamental concepts and skills necessary for success in your graduate program.

2. How many upper level core courses should I take?

The number of upper level core courses you should take depends on the specific requirements of your graduate program. Generally, it is recommended to take at least 3-4 upper level core courses, but some programs may require more. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in.

3. Can I substitute a core course with a related course in a different subject?

It is not recommended to substitute a core course with a related course in a different subject, as core courses are specifically chosen to provide a strong foundation in your field of study. However, if you have a valid reason for taking a related course, it is best to consult with your academic advisor or the graduate program to determine if it would be accepted as a substitute.

4. Should I take all of my core courses in one semester?

It is not necessary to take all of your core courses in one semester, but it is important to spread them out evenly throughout your undergraduate career. Taking too many core courses in one semester may result in a heavy workload and could impact your grades. It is best to plan out your course schedule with your academic advisor to ensure a balanced workload.

5. Can I take core courses online or at a community college?

It is generally recommended to take core courses in person at a four-year university, as this will provide a more rigorous and comprehensive learning experience. However, some graduate programs may accept online or community college courses as long as they meet the necessary requirements and are approved by the program. It is best to check with your desired graduate programs to see if they accept online or community college courses for core requirements.