UP1 Coursework, force problems.

In summary, a 20kg child is attempting to shoot free throws while his older sister practices basketball. His center of mass can reach a minimum of 20cm and a maximum of 40cm off the ground, with a normal height of 30cm. He can push against the floor with a force 3.5 times his own weight. The net external force on the child while jumping is 70N. Assuming the child was at rest when he started pushing, his kinetic energy when his feet leave the floor is unknown. The work done by the floor on the child is also unknown. The maximum height he can jump to is also unknown. The equations needed to solve this problem are not given, but his weight should be used
asteadydeclin

Homework Statement

A 20kg child jumps in the air to try to shoot free throws while his older sister is practicing basketball. His center of mass is normally 30cm off the ground. The lowest he can get his center of mass is 20cm off the ground, and the highest he can get it before he can no longer push is 40cm. He can push against the floor with a force 3.5x his own weight.
a) If you identify just the child as your system, what is the net external force on the child as he is jumping?
b) Assuming the child was at rest when he started pushing on the floor, what is his kinetic energy when his feet leave the floor?
c) How much work did the floor do on the child?
d) How high can he jump? (May want to change your system here.)

Homework Equations

This is the main part I'm having problems with. I have no idea which equations to use. Our professor was out all last week after surgery, and the TA instructing the class was very hard to understand. I copied down the example problem from class, and the four equations used to solve it, but my windshield decided to stop holding water and ruined my notebook. If you could at least put me on the right track with the right equation(s), I would be more than grateful. Thanks in advance.

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Physics news on Phys.org
It says the force is "3.5x his own weight".
Can you find his weight?

Delphi51 said:
It says the force is "3.5x his own weight".
Can you find his weight?

Well, yeah, the problem gives his weight. So the force would be 70N..

Ohhhh, I got ya. We've never dealt with the differences between weight and mass, so typically when she says weight she means mass. Is there part of the problem that would actually require weight instead of mass?

It says the pushing force is 3.5 x the WEIGHT.
The units will not work out right if you use the mass in kg.
Force has units of Newtons. Weight is in Newtons, too.

Related to UP1 Coursework, force problems.

1. What is UP1 coursework?

UP1 coursework refers to the coursework related to the first year undergraduate physics course, which covers a wide range of topics including force problems.

2. What are force problems?

Force problems refer to physics problems that involve the calculation of forces acting on an object. These can include problems related to Newton's laws of motion, friction, tension, and other types of forces.

3. How do I solve force problems?

To solve force problems, it is important to first identify all the forces acting on the object and their direction. Then, using Newton's laws of motion and other relevant equations, you can calculate the net force and solve for the desired quantity.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving force problems?

Some common mistakes when solving force problems include forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object, using the wrong direction for a force, and not considering the signs of the forces correctly (positive or negative). It is important to carefully analyze the problem and double-check your calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I practice solving force problems?

The best way to practice solving force problems is by working through practice problems and exercises. You can also try to apply your knowledge to real-life situations and experiments. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or participating in study groups can also improve your problem-solving skills.