How High Can a Dog Jump by Exerting Maximum Force?

In summary, the dog is able to jump a maximum height of 1.15m by exerting a force 2.1 times the gravitational force Earth exerts on it. The dog's center of mass moves from 0.5m to 0.1m, resulting in a 0.6m vertical displacement. It is assumed that the dog exerts its maximum force during the entire push, resulting in a work of 0.55m. The mistake in the calculation was not cancelling out the terms of “mg” and instead calculating them separately, which could lead to rounding errors. Additionally, it is important to consider how the dog is able to lift itself 0.6m in order to push off the
emily081715

Homework Statement

A 11-kg dog jumps up in the air to catch a ball. The dog's center of mass is normally 0.20 m above the ground, and he is 0.50 m long. The lowest he can get his center of mass is 0.10 m above the ground, and the highest he can get it before he can no longer push against the ground is 0.40 m .If the maximum force the dog can exert on the ground in pushing off is 2.1 times the gravitational force Earth exerts on him, how high can he jump?

Homework Equations

Change in gravitational potential energy = mgΔx
Work = Force * Force Displacement

The Attempt at a Solution

Dog pushes itself to 0.6 m, then from that point the change in position is given by:
0.5*(2.1mg - mg) = mgΔx
0.5(2.1(11)(9.8)- (11)(9.8))/(11)(9.8)= Δx
0.55 m = Δx

Δx + 0.6 m = 1.15 m

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question there?

Comments:
You have the dog lifting itself 0.6m - how does it do this?
Does the dog exert it's maximum force all the time it is pushing on the ground?
Why didn't you just cancel out the terms of "mg" instead of calculating them?

if the maximum force the dog can exert on the ground in pushing off is 2.1 times the gravitational force Earth exerts on him, how high can he jump?

emily081715 said:
if the maximum force the dog can exert on the ground in pushing off is 2.1 times the gravitational force Earth exerts on him, how high can he jump?
thats the question
i could've canceled out the mg but calculating them doesn't change anything, they cancel out on their own

Yes OK - I mean what is your question?
Please answer the rest of my questions too.

Note: calculating things out adds to the chance of making a mistake, and also adds rounding errors.
If you cancel them out, then you don't need to round them off. This is why it is best practise to derive the equation first, then plug in the numbers.

Simon Bridge said:
Yes OK - I mean what is your question?
Please answer the rest of my questions too.
i'm asking where my error is because i believed that was the right way to do it

0.6 comes from the highest point of the centre of mass added to the lowest point ( 0.5 +0.1)
i'm assuming it does exert the max force at all time during the push

emily081715 said:
0.6 comes from the highest point of the centre of mass added to the lowest point ( 0.5 +0.1)
i'm assuming it does exert the max force at all time during the push
Over what vertical displacement is the dog able to exert a push against the ground? What work is done in the process?

1. What factors determine the maximum height of a dog?

The maximum height of a dog is determined by a combination of genetics, nutrition, and health. Breed, gender, and overall body structure also play a role in the height of a dog.

2. Can a dog's maximum height change over time?

Yes, a dog's maximum height can change over time. Puppies go through a growth phase during which their height can increase significantly. However, after reaching adulthood, a dog's height will typically remain relatively stable.

3. Is there a correlation between a dog's weight and maximum height?

There is typically a correlation between a dog's weight and maximum height. Larger breeds tend to have a higher maximum height compared to smaller breeds. However, this can vary depending on genetics and other factors.

4. Are there any health concerns associated with a dog reaching its maximum height?

There are no specific health concerns associated with a dog reaching its maximum height. However, it is important to monitor a dog's growth and ensure they are not growing at an unhealthy rate, as this can put strain on their joints and lead to potential health issues.

5. Can a dog's maximum height be predicted?

Yes, a dog's maximum height can be predicted to some extent based on their breed and the height of their parents. However, there is always some variation and it is not possible to accurately predict a dog's exact maximum height.