Max Jumping Height in Elevator Descending at Constant Vel.

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a basketball player jumping in an elevator that is descending at a constant speed. The person working on the problem uses an equation to determine the player's initial velocity and calculates his maximum jump height to be 93cm. However, the textbook answer is 55cm, which is explained by the fact that the elevator is already moving when the player jumps. The concept of relative motion is also brought up and it is emphasized that the constant motion of the elevator does not affect anything within it. The conversation concludes by clarifying that the question is a conceptual one and that the acceleration of the elevator would require further details for an answer.
Virsis

Homework Statement

I work as a supplemental instructor for an intro physics class. As I was preparing my worksheet for this week I came across this problem.

A basketball player can jump to a height of 55cm. How far above the floor can he jump in an elevator that is descending at a constant 1.0m/s.

Homework Equations

vf2 = vi2 + 2aΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

First I used the above equation to determine the initial velocity the basketball player would need to achieve a height of 55cm on steady ground: 3.28m/s.

I then said that relative to the floor of the elevator the player is moving at 4.28m/s initially.

Thus his max height should be 93cm.

However, the answer in the back of the textbook says that the answer is 55cm (same as his normal jump height).

So that makes sense if the elevator is already moving when he jumps. Then his velocity before the jump is already -1m/s, offsetting the fact that the elevator is moving away from him after he jumps.

If the elevator begins moving the instant after he begins jumping, would my original solution be correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The elevator is moving at constant velocity. If the 100kg occupant whips out a scale, he will weigh 100kg. He will not even know he is moving.

The appropriate way to frame this question is to acknowledge that constant motion is relative. The -1m/s of the elevator (relative to some external reference point) is irrelevant to anything within the elevator. It should not be mentioned in the explanation at all.

It is a conceptual question because no math is required (indeed, it is a red herring). What is required is to recognize that the motion of the elevator being constant means the answer is the same as if he were standing motionless on the Earth.

The elevator accelerating is an entirely different question, and is not answerable without further details.

Last edited:
Likes billy_joule

1. What is meant by "Max Jumping Height" in reference to elevator descending at constant velocity?

"Max Jumping Height" refers to the maximum height a person can jump while inside an elevator that is descending at a constant velocity. This measurement is affected by the velocity of the elevator, the height of the elevator shaft, and the strength and jumping ability of the individual.

2. How is the "Max Jumping Height" affected by the elevator's descending velocity?

The "Max Jumping Height" is directly affected by the elevator's descending velocity. The faster the elevator descends, the less time the person has to jump and the lower their maximum height will be. Similarly, a slower descending elevator will give the person more time to jump and potentially increase their maximum height.

3. Does the height of the elevator shaft affect the "Max Jumping Height"?

Yes, the height of the elevator shaft does affect the "Max Jumping Height." A taller shaft allows for a longer distance for the person to jump and potentially reach a higher maximum height. However, the velocity of the descending elevator also plays a role in this measurement.

4. How does an individual's strength and jumping ability impact the "Max Jumping Height"?

An individual's strength and jumping ability play a significant role in determining their "Max Jumping Height" in an elevator descending at constant velocity. A stronger and more agile person will be able to jump higher and potentially reach a higher maximum height compared to someone with less strength and jumping ability.

5. Is there a way to calculate the "Max Jumping Height" in an elevator descending at constant velocity?

Yes, there are various equations and formulas that can be used to calculate the "Max Jumping Height" in an elevator descending at constant velocity. These calculations take into account factors such as the elevator's velocity, the height of the shaft, and the individual's jumping ability. Consulting with a physicist or engineer may be helpful in determining the most accurate calculation for a specific scenario.