Unsolved Mysteries in Science: Exploring the Unknown

In summary, The conversation revolves around a list of unsolved problems in physics. The participants discuss various open questions and mysteries that science cannot currently explain, such as dark energy, dark matter, and the shrunken proton radius. They also mention the List of Unsolved Problems at Wikipedia as a resource for more interesting questions. The conversation ends with some skepticism about the possibility of solving these problems and a suggestion to read more about them.
falcon32
Hi all,

I'm trying to put together a fairly comprehensive list of mysteries that science cannot currently explain with the standard theory.

So far I've got:
dark energy
dark matter
shrunken proton radius from muonic hydrogen

As you can see I've only got three items on the list and could use your help brainstorming! :smile:
Unexplained effects would be great too if you can remember any.

Cheers,

falcon

Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
List of unsolved problems at Wikipedia has many interesting, open questions.

wow thanks, that was very helpful, I think that'll keep me busy for awhile

wow

why is there so many problems in physics

billyn00b_2001 said:
wow

Because the world is an interesting place?

how come

what is dark matter

billyn00b_2001 said:
wow

There are many open problems in all scientific areas. The length of the wikipedia article is a measure for the time invested by the authors, not a measure for the amount of open problems.
billyn00b_2001 said:
what is dark matter
It is quite pointless to ask one of the unsolved questions from the wikipedia article like that.

so there are more problems wow just wow

dark matter sounds like a comic book character

billyn00b_2001 said:

Yah, well billy, astronomers can only work with what they've got at the moment. Maybe they're wrong, maybe they're right, but at least they're trying. Instead of goofing off, why don't you pick up a book and read about it?

i like science i want to be a theoretical scientist

i will solve those problems the more the merrier

billyn00b_2001 said:

You're thinking of "Darkman"

My guess is that, once someone comes up with the key to unify GR with QM, most of these outstading enigmas will fall by the wayside.

billyn00b_2001 said:
i like science i want to be a theoretical scientist

i will solve those problems the more the merrier

I knew he was a troll, or perhaps another sock-puppet?
Troll-face.png

Related to Unsolved Mysteries in Science: Exploring the Unknown

1. What are scientific mysteries?

Scientific mysteries are phenomena or events that cannot be explained by current scientific understanding and knowledge. They are often complex and elusive, challenging scientists to uncover the underlying mechanisms and principles that govern them.

2. How are scientific mysteries different from regular scientific research?

Scientific mysteries are different from regular scientific research in that they deal with phenomena that have yet to be understood or explained. Regular scientific research is focused on building upon existing knowledge and exploring new ideas, while scientific mysteries require a more fundamental and exploratory approach.

3. What are some examples of scientific mysteries?

Some examples of scientific mysteries include dark matter and dark energy, the origin of the universe, the nature of consciousness, and the placebo effect. These are all phenomena that have been observed and studied extensively, but their underlying mechanisms and explanations remain unknown.

4. How are scientists working to solve scientific mysteries?

Scientists use various methods and techniques to solve scientific mysteries, including experimentation, observation, and theoretical modeling. Collaborative efforts across different disciplines are also important in tackling complex and multifaceted mysteries.

5. Why is it important to solve scientific mysteries?

Solving scientific mysteries is crucial for advancing our understanding of the world and the universe. It can lead to groundbreaking discoveries and innovations, and also help us address pressing global issues, such as climate change and disease. Additionally, solving mysteries can inspire future generations to pursue scientific inquiry and push the boundaries of knowledge.