Understanding the Fourier Sine Transform: Valid Inputs and Applications

In summary, the Fourier sine transform takes a function as an input and outputs another function. The formula for the transform is F(\omega )=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\infty}f(t)\displaystyle\sin (\omega t)dt. For certain inputs, such as a Heaviside function, the transform can be calculated using the formula. However, in the case of a constant function, the integral does not converge and there is no valid transformed function. Mathematica may give an answer, but it is not a valid transform for a constant function.
Arkuski
I am having a hard time understanding how the Fourier sine transform works. I understand that you input a function and you get a function as an output, but I have no idea how certain inputs are even valid. Here is what the book gives for the transform:
[itex]F(\omega )=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\infty}f(t)\displaystyle\sin (\omega t)dt[/itex]
For my example, I need to transform an IC in a PDE problem. [itex]u(x,0)=H(1-x)[/itex] where [itex]H[/itex] is the Heaviside function. Basically, [itex]u(x,0)=1[/itex] when [itex]0\le x<1[/itex] and [itex]u(x,0)=0[/itex] when [itex]x\ge 1[/itex]. I assume then that the transform works out in the following manner:
[itex]F(\omega )=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{1}\displaystyle\sin (\omega t)dt=\frac{2}{\pi \omega}(1-\displaystyle\cos (\omega)[/itex]
What would happen in the case that [itex]f(t)=1[/itex]? The integral would not converge, yet, mathematica tells me there is an answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arkuski said:
What would happen in the case that [itex]f(t)=1[/itex]? The integral would not converge, yet, mathematica tells me there is an answer.
If ##f(t) = 1## for all ##t \in \mathbb{R}##, you are of course correct. The integral ##\int_{0}^{\infty} \sin(\omega t) dt## does not converge for any ##\omega \neq 0##. What "answer" did Mathematica give you?

I was getting [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}/\omega[/itex]

Last edited:

Related to Understanding the Fourier Sine Transform: Valid Inputs and Applications

What is a Fourier Sine Transform?

The Fourier Sine Transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function into its corresponding sine components. It is used to analyze and solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing.

How is a Fourier Sine Transform different from a Fourier Transform?

While a Fourier Transform decomposes a function into both sine and cosine components, a Fourier Sine Transform only considers the sine components. This is useful for analyzing functions that are odd or have odd symmetry.

What is the formula for a Fourier Sine Transform?

The formula for a Fourier Sine Transform is F(s) = ∫f(x)sin(sx)dx, where f(x) is the function being transformed and s is the frequency variable.

What are the applications of a Fourier Sine Transform?

A Fourier Sine Transform has many applications in various fields such as image processing, geophysics, and acoustics. It is used to analyze and filter signals, solve differential equations, and study the behavior of waves and vibrations.

Are there any limitations to using a Fourier Sine Transform?

One limitation of using a Fourier Sine Transform is that it can only be used for functions that have odd symmetry. Additionally, it is not suitable for functions that have discontinuities or infinite discontinuities.