Understanding the Flaws in Induction: Exploring an Example with Natural Numbers

In summary, the assertion is true for all natural numbers, but it doesn't work for n=2 because if p is 1, then p-1=0, but the induction hypothesis was for p and q natural, so we are eliminating the possibility that p or q is 1 (so must be at least 2), which would mean the base number we chose doesn't work here.
mmmboh
This isn't homework, just an example in the book on how induction can easily be used wrong, but I am having trouble finding exactly what the problem is with what they did, I know it's obviously not true:

Claim: If n belongs to N (the natural numbers), and p and q are natural numbers with maximum n, then p=q.
Let S be the subset of the natural numbers for which the claim is true. 1 belongs to S, since if p and q belong to N and their maximum is 1, then p=q=1. Now assume k belongs to S, and that the maximum of p and q is k+1. Then the maximum of p-1, q-1 is k. But k is in S, so p-1=q-1, thus p=q and k+1 is in S, so the assertion is true for all n in N.

Ugh this is bothering me because it should be obvious but I don't know if I'm not thinking straight today but I don't see it exactly. I know 1 is in the set, so that assertion is fine, and assuming k is in the set is your standard induction hypothesis, so the fault must be in the k+1 area, I think it's because we are already assuming that p=q, so we are basically just proving that if p-1=q-1 then p=q, but that doesn't prove the statement...I don't know this is bothering me :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of numbers can p-1 and q-1 be?

Natural, I considered that you are eliminating the possibility that p and q are 1, but I'm not sure that's the problem, because if the maximum of p and q is k+1, well k+1 is at least 2 anyway. Of course now neither p or q can be 1 when only one of them needs to be bigger than 1, but I'm not sure.

That's the idea. Let's just consider the first inductive step. We know it's true when max(p,q)=1. If max(p,q)=2, then we could have p=2 and q=1. p-1=1 but q-1=0, so the inductive hypothesis doesn't hold (I'm assuming your natural numbers start at 1 because that was your first step)

You might want to explain more clearly why it's true if n=1. Then you will see Office_Shedder's point better about why it doesn't induct to n=2.

It's true if n=1 because if p and q are both natural numbers and their maximum is 1, well the first natural number is 1, so p and q must both be 1, otherwise one would be less than 1 but then it's not a natural number.

mmmboh said:
It's true if n=1 because if p and q are both natural numbers and their maximum is 1, well the first natural number is 1, so p and q must both be 1, otherwise one would be less than 1 but then it's not a natural number.

Fine, so what step in the induction fails at n=2?

If p is 1, then p-1=0, but the induction hypothesis was for p and q natural, so we are eliminating the possibility that p or q is 1 (so must be at least 2), which would mean the base number we chose doesn't work here...

mmmboh said:
If p is 1, then p-1=0, but the induction hypothesis was for p and q natural, so we are eliminating the possibility that p or q is 1 (so must be at least 2), which would mean the base number we chose doesn't work here...

Absolutely correct. As Office_Shredder said.

Ok thanks guys!

Related to Understanding the Flaws in Induction: Exploring an Example with Natural Numbers

1. What is the purpose of a "Really stupid induction question"?

The purpose of a "Really stupid induction question" is to test the logical reasoning skills of individuals and to see how they approach and solve problems in a creative and unconventional way.

2. How is a "Really stupid induction question" different from a regular induction question?

A "Really stupid induction question" is intentionally designed to have a nonsensical or absurd premise, while a regular induction question follows a logical and coherent pattern.

3. Can anyone solve a "Really stupid induction question"?

Yes, anyone can solve a "Really stupid induction question" as long as they are able to think outside the box and use their imagination to come up with unconventional solutions.

4. Are there any benefits to solving a "Really stupid induction question"?

Yes, solving a "Really stupid induction question" can improve critical thinking skills, creativity, and problem-solving abilities. It can also be a fun and entertaining mental exercise.

5. Is there a right or wrong answer to a "Really stupid induction question"?

No, there is no right or wrong answer to a "Really stupid induction question" as it is subjective and open to interpretation. The goal is to come up with a creative and logical solution, regardless of how unconventional it may seem.