Show that lim S is a closed set

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Closed Set
In summary: The distance between the circled points and A are going to 0 (circle size decreasing) as n→∞. Which is what you needed to show.In summary, the given proof shows that if pn → p and each pn lies in lim S, then p ∈ lim S by showing that for every n there exists a qn ∈ S such that d(pn, qn) < 1/n, which implies that qn → p. This concludes the proof that lim S is a closed set.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Suppose that pn → p and each pn lies in lim S. We claim that p ∈ lim S. Since
pn is a limit of S there is a sequence (pn,k)k∈N in S that converges to pn as k →∞.
Thus there exists qn = pn,k(n)∈ S such that
d(pn, qn) <1/n.
Then, as n→∞ we have
d(p, qn) ≤ d(p, pn) + d(pn, qn) → 0
which implies that qn → p, so p ∈ lim S, which completes the proof that lim S is a
closed set.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only part of the proof I don't understand is the following:

Since
pn is a limit of S there is a sequence (pn,k)k∈N in S that converges to pn as k →∞.
d(pn, qn) <1/n.

Where does the 1/n come from? Why can we be sure that such a qn exists?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that pn → p and each pn lies in lim S. We claim that p ∈ lim S. Since
d(pn, qn) <1/n.
Then, as n→∞ we have
d(p, qn) ≤ d(p, pn) + d(pn, qn) → 0
which implies that qn → p, so p ∈ lim S, which completes the proof that lim S is a
closed set.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only part of the proof I don't understand is the following:

Since
d(pn, qn) <1/n.

Where does the 1/n come from? Why can we be sure that such a qn exists?

You are given that ##p## is a limit of points of ##lim S##. You want to show that ##p## itself is an element of ##lim S##. To do this you have show that there is a sequence of point in ##S## whose limit is ##p##. The argument shows that for every ##n## there is a point of ##S## whose distance from ##p## is less than ##1/n##. Which goes to zero as ##n \rightarrow \infty##. Hence ##p## is in ##lim S##. Clearer?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Where does the 1/n come from?
Anything that goes to 0 will do the trick. You can use 1/n and n→∞ or you can use ε>0 and ε→0. They will both make the distance go to 0.
Why can we be sure that such a qn exists?
Because pn is a limit of points in S, there is a qn at least that close to pn.

I guess my main confusion lies in the following: Thus there exists qn = pn,k(n)∈ S such that d(pn, qn) <1/n.

Does this somehow come from the definition of convergence? Also, I am confused by the notation. The proof says that there is a sequence that converges to pn. So are we saying that n is some fixed number in this instance? Because obviously a sequence can't converge to another sequence.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I guess my main confusion lies in the following: Thus there exists qn = pn,k(n)∈ S such that d(pn, qn) <1/n.

Does this somehow come from the definition of convergence?
Yes. It comes from the sentence before: pn is a limit of S there is a sequence (pn,k)k∈N in S that converges to pn as k →∞.
Also, I am confused by the notation. The proof says that there is a sequence that converges to pn. So are we saying that n is some fixed number in this instance?
For that statement, n is fixed. But the logic will work for any n, which is important since n →∞.
Because obviously a sequence can't converge to another sequence.
I agree. and it doesn't even have to converge to the same limit as the other sequence. It is converging to the limit of the points, pn that the sequences (pn,k)k∈N converge to.

Start with the blue sequence of points, pn, converging to the red point, A. Each blue point is in S, so there is a sequence of green points converging to each one. Select the sequence of circled points converging to A. That circled sequence proves that A is also in S.
limitOfLimits.png

Related to Show that lim S is a closed set

1. What does it mean for a set to be "closed"?

A closed set is a set that contains all of its limit points. In other words, if a sequence of points in the set converges to a point outside of the set, then that point is not considered a limit point and the set is not closed.

2. How do you show that a set is closed?

To show that a set is closed, you must show that it contains all of its limit points. This can be done by showing that any convergent sequence of points in the set has a limit that is also in the set.

3. What is the difference between a closed set and an open set?

An open set is a set that does not contain its boundary points, while a closed set contains all of its boundary points. In other words, an open set can have limit points that are not in the set, while a closed set cannot.

4. Can a set be both open and closed?

Yes, a set can be both open and closed. This type of set is known as a clopen set. An example of a clopen set is the empty set, which contains no points and therefore has no limit points.

5. Why is it important for a set to be closed?

Having a closed set is important in many areas of mathematics, especially in analysis and topology. Closed sets have many useful properties, such as being able to be used in proofs involving continuity and compactness. Additionally, closed sets help define other important concepts such as closure and closure operators.