Understanding SU(2) and SO(3) Representations

In summary, SU(2) is the double covering of SO(3), meaning that for each matrix in SO(3), there corresponds one in SU(2). While the Lie algebra of SU(2) and SO(3) are equivalent, their 3x3 matrix representations are not. The 3D objects that SU(2) acts on are complex vectors, while those of SO(3) are real vectors. However, there is a way to connect the two through homomorphisms. The double cover also means that there are two 3x3 matrices in SU(2) that can perform the same rotation as one 3x3 matrix in SO(3). The connection between the two groups can be seen
Silviu
Hello! I am reading some representation theory and I am a bit confused about some stuff. I read that SU(2) is the double covering of SO(3), so to each matrix in SO(3) corresponds one in SU(2). I am not sure I understand this. So if we have a 3D representation of SU(2), the 3D object it acts on are complex vectors, while the objects SO(3) acts on are real vectors. At the same time the 3x3 matrices of SO(3) are real while the 3x3 matrices of the 3D representation of SU(2) are complex. How do we make the connection between the 2? Does this means that if I want to rotate a real vector, I have 2 complex matrices that can be transformed both into a real matrix to do the transformation? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
Hello! I am reading some representation theory and I am a bit confused about some stuff. I read that SU(2) is the double covering of SO(3), so to each matrix in SO(3) corresponds one in SU(2). I am not sure I understand this. So if we have a 3D representation of SU(2), the 3D object it acts on are complex vectors, while the objects SO(3) acts on are real vectors. At the same time the 3x3 matrices of SO(3) are real while the 3x3 matrices of the 3D representation of SU(2) are complex. How do we make the connection between the 2? Does this means that if I want to rotate a real vector, I have 2 complex matrices that can be transformed both into a real matrix to do the transformation? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
The double cover has at first nothing to do with the action of the group. It's a group theoretical tool, a decomposition. The action, here the natural operation as matrix groups, is simply a certain representation to write the group multiplication and to interpret them geometrically. I don't see the need to combine the two. You can find a lot of explicit homomorphims here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/journey-manifold-su2mathbbc-part/ (see eq.(6)).

fresh_42 said:
The double cover has at first nothing to do with the action of the group. It's a group theoretical tool, a decomposition. The action, here the natural operation as matrix groups, is simply a certain representation to write the group multiplication and to interpret them geometrically. I don't see the need to combine the two. You can find a lot of explicit homomorphims here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/journey-manifold-su2mathbbc-part/ (see eq.(6)).
Thank you for you reply. What confuses me is the 3D of SU(2) (or in general when SU(2) and SO(3) have the same matrix dimension). SU(2) and SO(3) have the same Lie Algebra does this mean that the 3x3 representations of the 2 are equivalent? I guess not as there is a 2-to-1 correspondence between the 2, while the equivalence implies a 1-to-1 (is this correct?). And if so, how can I get the 3x3 matrices of SO(3) out of the 3x3 matrices of SU(2) and what do the remained ones represent. As I mentioned above, if I want to rotate a real vector by an angle, i.e. I need a 3x3 SO(3) matrix, which are the 2 3x3 matrices of SU(2) that can do the rotation. I read several stuff in abstract form, but I haven't found a given example of this, so an example would definitely help me. For example, for the rotation matrix around the z axis, which looks like ##e^{i\theta J_z}## in the SO(3) case, which are the 2 3x3 matrices of SU(2) able to do this rotation, which is their form and how can I obtain them? Thank you!

Silviu said:
Thank you for you reply. What confuses me is the 3D of SU(2) (or in general when SU(2) and SO(3) have the same matrix dimension). SU(2) and SO(3) have the same Lie Algebra does this mean that the 3x3 representations of the 2 are equivalent? I guess not as there is a 2-to-1 correspondence between the 2, while the equivalence implies a 1-to-1 (is this correct?). And if so, how can I get the 3x3 matrices of SO(3) out of the 3x3 matrices of SU(2) and what do the remained ones represent. As I mentioned above, if I want to rotate a real vector by an angle, i.e. I need a 3x3 SO(3) matrix, which are the 2 3x3 matrices of SU(2) that can do the rotation. I read several stuff in abstract form, but I haven't found a given example of this, so an example would definitely help me. For example, for the rotation matrix around the z axis, which looks like ##e^{i\theta J_z}## in the SO(3) case, which are the 2 3x3 matrices of SU(2) able to do this rotation, which is their form and how can I obtain them? Thank you!
That's why I quoted the link. Look up the homomorphisms. Don't confuse complex and real dimensions here! That's why I placed the scalar field at the notations of the groups in the article. This has also to be considered and noted for the representations. As said, the article contains a lot of different presentations and representations. Maybe you should do some calculations on the certain examples. Isomorphic Lie algebras have isomorphic representations.

The relationship between them that I've seen is this: If you have a vector ##(x,y,z)##, you can associate a corresponding 2-element complex column matrix ##\left( \begin{array} \\ \alpha \\ \beta \end{array} \right)## via:

##x = \frac{1}{2} (\alpha \beta^* + \alpha^* \beta)##
##y = \frac{i}{2} (\alpha \beta^* - \alpha^* \beta)##
##z = \frac{1}{2} (|\alpha|^2 - |\beta|^2)##

or the inverse relations:

##\alpha = \frac{x-iy}{\sqrt{r-z}} = \sqrt{2r} cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) e^{-i\frac{\phi}{2}}##
##\beta = \frac{x+iy}{\sqrt{r+z}} = \sqrt{2r} sin(\frac{\theta}{2}) e^{+i\frac{\phi}{2}}##

where ##r, \theta, \phi## are the polar coordinates: ##r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}##, ##\theta = tan^{-1}(\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}{z})##, ##\phi = tan^{-1}{\frac{y}{x}}##

This is a double-cover because ##\alpha, \beta## corresponds to the same vector ##(x,y,z)## as does ##(-\alpha, -\beta)##. If you increase ##\phi## by ##2 \pi##, you get the same ##(x,y,z)##, but ##\alpha \rightarrow -\alpha## and ##\beta \rightarrow -\beta##

1. What is SU(2) and SO(3)?

SU(2) and SO(3) are both mathematical groups that are used to describe the symmetries of physical systems, particularly in quantum mechanics. SU(2) stands for "Special Unitary Group of degree 2" and SO(3) stands for "Special Orthogonal Group of degree 3". They both have important applications in physics and other fields of science.

2. What do SU(2) and SO(3) representations mean?

A representation in the context of SU(2) and SO(3) refers to a way of describing the group elements in terms of matrices. These matrices can then be used to transform objects in a given space, and their properties can be studied using the group theory. Representations are important in understanding the symmetries of physical systems, and are used in fields such as particle physics and quantum mechanics.

3. How are SU(2) and SO(3) representations related to each other?

SU(2) and SO(3) are closely related groups, with SU(2) being the double cover of SO(3). This means that every element in SU(2) has two corresponding elements in SO(3). The representations of SU(2) can be used to construct representations of SO(3) and vice versa. This connection is important in understanding the symmetries of physical systems and has applications in fields such as quantum mechanics and solid state physics.

4. What are the applications of understanding SU(2) and SO(3) representations?

The understanding of SU(2) and SO(3) representations has many applications in physics and other fields of science. In particle physics, SU(2) representations are used to describe the properties of elementary particles and their interactions. In quantum mechanics, they are used to study the symmetries of quantum systems and to solve problems in quantum mechanics. In solid state physics, they are used to describe the symmetries of crystals and their electronic properties.

5. What is the significance of the group theory in understanding SU(2) and SO(3) representations?

The group theory is a powerful mathematical tool that is used to study the symmetries of physical systems. In the context of SU(2) and SO(3) representations, the group theory helps us to understand the properties of the groups and their representations, and how they relate to each other. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about physical systems using the mathematical framework provided by the group theory.