Su(2), so(3) and their representations

In summary, there is a homomorphism from SU(2) to SO(3) that is not an isomorphism, but has the property that R(-λ)=R(λ) for all λ∈SU(2). This map can be found by identifying SU(2) with a 3-dimensional vector space and defining a linear isometry between H, the space of 2x2 hermitian matrices, and SO(3). This map is similar to the map taking SL(4,C) to SO(6,C), which is defined by choosing a skew symmetric form on complex 4 space. Both of these maps are double covers, meaning they have a 2:1 ratio of elements.
Lapidus
I try to understand the statement "Every representation of SO(3) is also a representation of SU(2)".

Does that mean that all the matrices of an integer-spin rep of SU(2) are identical to the matrices of the corresponding spin rep of SO(3)?

Say, the j=1 rep of SU(2) has three 3x3 matrices, so has the j=1 rep of SO(3). Are the matrices for SU(2) identical to those for SO(3)? But their are different groups, so that can't be right.

Or are the matrices identical only for the Lie algebras su(2), so(3)? THANK YOU

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a group homomorphism ##R:SU(2)\to SO(3)##. So if ##\Pi:SO(3)\to GL(V)## is a representation of ##SO(3)##, then ##\Pi\circ R## is a representation of ##SU(2)##.

The map ##R## isn't an isomorphism. It fails to be injective, but has the property that ##R(-\lambda)=R(\lambda)## for all ##\lambda\in SU(2)##.

This is a sketch of how to find the map ##R##:

Every complex 2×2 hermitian matrix ##x## can be written in the form
$$x=\begin{pmatrix}x_3 & x_1-ix_2\\ x_1+ix_2 & -x_3\end{pmatrix} =\sum_{i=1}^3 x_i \sigma_3.$$ The ##\sigma_i## are the Pauli spin matrices. The set ##H## of all such matrices is a 3-dimensional vector space over ##\mathbb R## (not ##\mathbb C##). We can define an inner product on ##H## by ##\langle x,y\rangle=\operatorname{Tr}(x^*y)## for all ##x,y\in H##. The map ##x\mapsto(x_1,x_2,x_3)## is an isometric isomorphism from ##H## to ##\mathbb R^3##.

For all ##\lambda\in SU(2)##, the map ##R_\lambda : H\to H## defined by ##R_\lambda(x)=\lambda x\lambda^*## for all ##x\in H##, is a linear isometry. (If you want to prove this, note that ##\det x=-(x_3)^2-(x_1)^2-(x_2)^2##). Since ##H## is isometrically isomorphic to ##\mathbb R^3##, this means that we can identify ##R_\lambda## with an element of ##SO(3)##. It's easy to show that the map ##\lambda\mapsto R_\lambda## is a homomorphism. This is the map I'm denoting by ##R##.

Last edited:
Likes Lapidus
I am not too familiar with this subject, but I think you can imagine of this map roughly, i.e. topologically, by noting that elements of SU(2), being complex invertible transformations of complex 2 space, induce an isomorphism of the set of complex lines through the origin, i.e. an isomorphism of the projective line to itself. But this projective complex "line" is homeomorphic to the 2-sphere (it equals the complex numbers plus a point at infinity). This much is true for all elements of GL(2,C), but the ones in SU(2) also preserve the usual metric on the sphere.

There seems to be another analogue, but more complicated, taking SL(4,C) onto SO(6,C). This is defined by choosing a skew symmetric form on complex 4 space, which, in every basis, determines a skew 4x4 matrix. Changing bases, i.e. acting by GL(4,C), transforms these matrices into each other, i.e. defines an action on the 6 dimensional space of such matrices. Those basis changes coming from SL(4,C) and not just GL(4,C) preserve the "Pfaffian" (square root of the determinant) of the skew matrix, hence preserve the rank 6 quadric defined by that determinant in 6 space, and this seems to make its action belong to SO(6,C).

I think both these maps are double covers, i.e. 2:1 onto.

Last edited:
Likes Lapidus

Related to Su(2), so(3) and their representations

1. What is the significance of "Su(2) and so(3) in science?

Su(2) and so(3) are important mathematical concepts in the field of physics. They are used to represent the symmetries of physical systems and are fundamental to our understanding of particle physics, quantum mechanics, and general relativity.

2. How are Su(2) and so(3) related?

Su(2) and so(3) are closely related as they both belong to the same class of mathematical objects known as Lie groups. They share many properties and can be used interchangeably in many applications.

3. What are the representations of Su(2) and so(3)?

The representations of Su(2) and so(3) are mathematical objects that describe the ways in which these groups can act on a vector space. They are commonly used to describe the quantum states of particles, and the physical properties of systems in quantum mechanics.

4. What is the importance of representations in physics?

Representations play a crucial role in physics as they allow us to understand the symmetries and dynamics of physical systems. They also provide a powerful tool for solving complex problems and making predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Su(2) and so(3) representations?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of Su(2) and so(3) representations. For example, they are used in the design of quantum computers, in the study of atomic and molecular structures, and in the analysis of quantum field theories. They also have practical applications in engineering and computer science.