On a bound on the norm of a matrix with a simple pole

• I
  • Thread starter psie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Norm
psie
TL;DR Summary
In Ordinary Differential Equations by Andersson and Böiers, I'm reading about so-called weakly singular systems, that is, ##\pmb{x}'(z)=A(z)\pmb{x}(z)## where ##A(z)## is analytic except at the origin where it has a simple pole (this means all its entries are analytic with at most a simple pole). I'm confused about an estimate made in a proof in this section.
Let ##A(z)## be a matrix function with a simple pole at the origin; in other words, we can expand it into a Laurent series of the form ##\frac1{z}A_{-1}+A_0+zA_1+\ldots##, where ##A_i## are constant matrices and ##A_{-1}\neq 0##. Fix ##\theta_0\in[0,2\pi)## and ##c\in(0,1)## (here ##1## could also be any other real, finite number) and let ##0<s<c##. My textbook claims that $$\lVert A(se^{i\theta_0})\rVert\leq m|se^{i\theta_0}|^{-1}=\frac{m}{s},\qquad 0<s<c,$$ for some ##m>0## and that this should follow from the inequality ##\lVert A\rVert\leq \left(\sum_{j,k=0}^n |a_{jk}|^2\right)^{1/2}##. I do not understand this, because consider for instance $$\begin{bmatrix} \frac1{z}&1\\ 2&3 \end{bmatrix}=\frac1{z}\begin{bmatrix}1&0\\ 0&0\end{bmatrix}+\begin{bmatrix}0&1\\ 2&3\end{bmatrix}$$ I don't see how the claimed inequality follows from ##\lVert A\rVert\leq \left(\sum_{j,k=0}^n |a_{jk}|^2\right)^{1/2}## in this case, since it seems like we can't factor out ##\frac1{s}## from the sum.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I am not mistaken, we could replace all entries that do not have poles with ##b_{jk}=\frac 1 s a_{jk}## and leave ##b_{jk} =a_{jk}## for entries with the poles. Then $$\lVert A\rVert\leq \left(\sum_{j,k=0}^n |a_{jk}|^2\right)^{1/2}\leq \left(\sum_{j,k=0}^n |b_{jk}|^2\right)^{1/2}$$ and we can factor out ##\frac 1 s## from the sum on the right.

Likes psie
Hill said:
If I am not mistaken, we could replace all entries that do not have poles with ##b_{jk}=\frac 1 s a_{jk}## and leave ##b_{jk} =a_{jk}## for entries with the poles. Then $$\lVert A\rVert\leq \left(\sum_{j,k=0}^n |a_{jk}|^2\right)^{1/2}\leq \left(\sum_{j,k=0}^n |b_{jk}|^2\right)^{1/2}$$ and we can factor out ##\frac 1 s## from the sum on the right.
If I understand you right, you mean that we simply write ##a_{jk}=\frac{s}{s}a_{jk}\leq\frac{c}{s}a_{jk}## and ##c## gets absorbed by ##a_{jk}##.

psie said:
If I understand you right, you mean that we simply write ##a_{jk}=\frac{s}{s}a_{jk}\leq\frac{c}{s}a_{jk}## and ##c## gets absorbed by ##a_{jk}##.
Yes, this is another way to put it.

Likes psie
Careful, I don't think we can say, ##\frac{s}{s}a_{jk}\leq\frac{c}{s}a_{jk}##. But we can say, ##|\frac{s}{s}a_{jk}|\leq|\frac{c}{s}a_{jk}|##, and this is all we need.

Likes psie
How about this?

Set ##A=A_{-1}z^{-1} +B(z)## where ##\|A_{-1}\|=m'\, , \,\|B\|=b<\infty ## and ##m=m'+bc^2.## Then
\begin{align*}
\|A(z)\|&\leq \|A_{-1}\|\cdot \dfrac{1}{\|z\|} + \|B(z)\|\leq \|A_{-1}\|\cdot \dfrac{1}{\|z\|} + \|B\|\cdot\|z\|\\
&\leq \dfrac{m'}{s}+ b\cdot s \leq \dfrac{m'}{s}+ b\cdot c =\dfrac{m'+bsc}{s}\leq\dfrac{m}{s}
\end{align*}

Likes psie
I am not sure whether ##\|B(z)\|\leq \|B\|\cdot \|z\|## is true. Maybe we need something different as an upper bound for the entire part of the Laurent polynomial. There must be something so that it doesn't go to infinity, the radius of convergence.

fresh_42 said:
I am not sure whether ##\|B(z)\|\leq \|B\|\cdot \|z\|## is true. Maybe we need something different as an upper bound for the entire part of the Laurent polynomial. There must be something so that it doesn't go to infinity, the radius of convergence.
Are you thinking about the inequality ##\lVert A x\rVert\leq \lVert A \rVert\cdot \lVert x\rVert## where ##x## is a vector? This inequality is e.g. listed here. Given ##B(z)##, I'm confused about what ##\|B\|## would be in this case.

psie said:
Are you thinking about the inequality ##\lVert A x\rVert\leq \lVert A \rVert\cdot \lVert x\rVert## where ##x## is a vector? This inequality is e.g. listed here. Given ##B(z)##, I'm confused about what ##\|B\|## would be in this case.
Yes, that was my first impetus because it is a standard reflex to apply ##\|Mx\|\leq\|M\|\cdot\|x\|.## But it is probably wrong here.

Nevertheless, ##A(z)## has to be bounded outside its pole region since it would have another pole otherwise. And if ##A(z)## is bounded at points ##z=se^{i\theta}## with a certain distance to the pole, ##B(z)=A_0+A_1z+A_2z^2+\ldots## is bounded there, too.

Assume ##B## is not bounded on the compact disc ##D:=\{\|z\| \leq s\},## say at ##p\in D.## Then
$$
\|A(p)\| =\|A_{-1}(p)+ B(p)\| =\infty
$$
Since the only pole of ##A ## is ##p=0,## we have that ##B(0)=A_0## which is a constant and therefore bounded. And if ##B## is bounded, then
$$
\|B(z)\| \leq \sup_{z\in D}\|B(z)\| =:d<\infty .
$$
The corrected version is thus:
fresh_42 said:
Set ##A=A_{-1}z^{-1} +B(z)## where ##\|A_{-1}\|=m'## and ##m=m'+dc.## Then
\begin{align*}
\|A(z)\|&\leq \|A_{-1}\|\cdot \dfrac{1}{\|z\|} + \|B(z)\|\leq \|A_{-1}\|\cdot \dfrac{1}{\|z\|} + d\\
&=\|A_{-1}\| \cdot \dfrac{1}{s}+ \dfrac{ds}{s}=\dfrac{m'+ds}{s} <\dfrac{m}{s}
\end{align*}

Likes psie

1. What is a simple pole in the context of matrices?

A simple pole in the context of matrices refers to a situation where the matrix has an eigenvalue with algebraic multiplicity one. This means that there is only one linearly independent eigenvector associated with this eigenvalue.

2. How is the norm of a matrix with a simple pole bounded?

The norm of a matrix with a simple pole can be bounded using the formula: ||A - λI|| ≤ |λ| + ||A||, where A is the matrix, λ is the eigenvalue corresponding to the simple pole, I is the identity matrix, and ||.|| denotes the matrix norm.

3. Why is it important to bound the norm of a matrix with a simple pole?

Bounding the norm of a matrix with a simple pole is important in various applications of linear algebra and numerical analysis. It helps in understanding the behavior of the matrix and its eigenvalues, which is crucial for stability analysis and error estimation in numerical computations.

4. Can the bound on the norm of a matrix with a simple pole be improved?

Yes, in some cases, the bound on the norm of a matrix with a simple pole can be improved by using more sophisticated techniques or by exploiting specific properties of the matrix. However, the basic bound mentioned earlier provides a good starting point for analysis.

5. Are there any practical implications of bounding the norm of a matrix with a simple pole?

Bounding the norm of a matrix with a simple pole has practical implications in various fields such as control theory, signal processing, and optimization. It helps in designing stable systems, analyzing the convergence of iterative algorithms, and ensuring the accuracy of numerical simulations.