Understanding Riemann Sums and Limits | Homework #16 Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the Riemann Sum and its relation to integrals. The question is asked about the expression for a Riemann integral, and the conversation delves into the details of the sum and its components. The conversation also mentions the assumption of equally spaced intervals.
lLovePhysics

Homework Statement

Question regarding #16

III-16.jpg

Homework Equations

Riemman Sum

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the limit of the Riemman Sum is basically the integral. However, I do not know where to go from there. Do I need to use the Summation formulas? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
can you write down the expression for a Riemann integral. something like:

[tex] \int_a^b f(x) dx = \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n=1}^N ? [/tex]

what goes in the question marks?

also, even though Riemann doesn't, assume things in the ? are equally spaced. that's usually good enough.

Last edited:
rbj said:
can you write down the expression for a Riemann integral. something like:

[tex] \int_a^b f(x) dx = \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n=1}^N ? [/tex]

what goes in the question marks?

also, even though Riemann doesn't, assume things in the ? are equally spaced. that's usually good enough.

Well, here's what I have so far:

[tex] \int_a^b f(x) dx = \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n=1}^N (\frac{1}{N}\sin(\frac{\pi i}{N})[/tex]

So what part of that sum is dx and what part is f(x)? After you know f(x), what is its integral?

Related to Understanding Riemann Sums and Limits | Homework #16 Question

What is a Riemann Sum?

A Riemann Sum is a method for approximating the area under a curve by dividing the area into smaller rectangles and summing the areas of those rectangles.

What is the purpose of using Riemann Sums?

Riemann Sums are used to approximate the area under a curve when it is not possible to find the exact value using traditional methods. This is useful in many fields of science and math, such as physics, engineering, and statistics.

What are the different types of Riemann Sums?

There are three types of Riemann Sums: left, right, and midpoint. These differ in how they choose the height of the rectangles in relation to the curve. Left sums use the left endpoint of each subinterval, right sums use the right endpoint, and midpoint sums use the midpoint of each subinterval.

What is a limit in calculus?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as the input value approaches a certain value. It is used to define continuity and derivatives, and is an essential tool for solving many problems in calculus.

How are Riemann Sums and limits related?

Riemann Sums are used to approximate the area under a curve, which can be seen as a limit of infinitely many rectangles with infinitely small widths. This relationship becomes more apparent when using more precise methods, such as the definite integral, which is defined as the limit of Riemann Sums.