Understanding Q=mcΔT and ΔH for Gases: Constant Pressure and Volume Concepts

• Thread starter hqjb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary, the conversation discusses the equations used for calculating heat and internal energy in solids, liquids, and gases. It is clarified that for gases, there are two principal specific heats - specific heat at constant pressure and specific heat at constant volume. The conversation also addresses the use of molar specific heat and the inclusion of work in the equations for constant pressure processes. Finally, it is mentioned that for ideal gases, the change in internal energy is equal to the product of the number of moles, molar specific heat, and change in temperature.
hqjb

Homework Statement

I'm confused by the different equations textbooks use for Q=mcΔT

I understand for solids/liquids its always Q=mcΔT but for gases am I right to say ΔH=Q=ΔU+pΔV=m(c_p)ΔT for constant pressure and Q=ΔU=m(c_v)ΔT for constant volume?

So if my textbook says "ΔU=n(3/2R)ΔT for any processes of monoatomic ideal gas" its wrong because for constant pressure processes you need to add work? Or am i getting something wrong.

Edit:
Answer is here : http://postimage.org/image/4f4wxp6b1/

What I really want to know is if I should use Q=nCt instead of U=nCt[\b] as the book did and why not(I think the book should be right...)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Strictly speaking you should always start with ΔQ = ΔU + ΔW.
It applies to solids and liquids as well as gases.
ΔW (external work) is only zero if there is no expansion. For a gas this means keeping the volume constant.
For solids and liquids any expansion is usually negligible and it is safe to ignore any energy needed to do work ΔW against the atmosphere.
It is not too difficult to look up coefficients of expansion to get an estimate of how much energy is needed to do external work ΔW
It means that for gases there are 2 principal specific heats. SHC at constant pressure and SHC at constant volume. The SHC at constant pressure is greater than the SHC at constant volume

hqjb said:
for gases am I right to say ΔH=Q=ΔU+pΔV=m(c_p)ΔT for constant pressure and Q=ΔU=m(c_v)ΔT for constant volume?

No. The specific heat you are taking into consideration while calculating for gases is molar specific heat at constant pressure and volume respectively. So there would be a term of number of moles (n) rather than mass (m).

So if my textbook says "ΔU=n(3/2R)ΔT for any processes of monoatomic ideal gas" its wrong because for constant pressure processes you need to add work? Or am i getting something wrong.

No, the textbook is correct. Can you try explain that based on the correction above?

Infinitum said:
No. The specific heat you are taking into consideration while calculating for gases is molar specific heat at constant pressure and volume respectively. So there would be a term of number of moles (n) rather than mass (m).

No, the textbook is correct. Can you try explain that based on the correction above?

a)So for gases there's no specific heat only molar specific heats?

b)But according to the post by truesearch for gases work done is not negligible and
Q=U+W=nCt but in the question the gas expands so work done should not be negligible why did the answer use U=nCt.
I understand 3/2R is the approximation for SHC at constant volume(so shouldn't it not be used since volume is not constant?)

It is possible to switch between SHC and molar SHC quite easily...does not affect the physical explanation.

hqjb said:
a)So for gases there's no specific heat only molar specific heats?

The specific heat of gases is generally measured as molar specific heat. You can still say they have specific heat, because by definition, specific heat is the is the amount of heat per unit mass required to raise the temperature by one degree Celsius. Its only convenient and more informative to use the molar specific heat, since it considers the two important factors for gases, i.e pressure and volume.

b)But according to the post by truesearch for gases work done is not negligible and
Q=U+W=nCt but in the question the gas expands so work done should not be negligible why did the answer use U=nCt.
I understand 3/2R is the approximation for SHC at constant volume(so shouldn't it not be used since volume is not constant?)

Which C is that? Cp or Cv? Then think of the relation between them...

Infinitum said:
The specific heat of gases is generally measured as molar specific heat. You can still say they have specific heat, because by definition, specific heat is the is the amount of heat per unit mass required to raise the temperature by one degree Celsius. Its only convenient and more informative to use the molar specific heat, since it considers the two important factors for gases, i.e pressure and volume.
Which C is that? Cp or Cv? Then think of the relation between them...

Yes! I think I've got it.
Since Cp = Cv + R
if I use Cv which is Cp - R when I do Q=nCvt=n(Cp-R)t=nCpt - nRt, the nRt portion already takes into account work done? So its really not Q=nCvt but U=nCvt but for constant pressure Q=nCpt=U
Thanks both for helping btw.

hqjb said:
but for constant pressure Q=nCpt=U

Uhh nope. For constant pressure, its [itex]\Delta U + W = nC_p \Delta T = \Delta Q[/itex]

The change in internal energy still remains

[itex]\Delta U = nC_v \Delta T[/itex]

The work is included in the constant pressure equation since [itex]C_p[/itex] is involved.

Another way to understand this :- http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/shegas.html#c1

The internal energy change is expressed by the kinetic theory of gases :

[itex]\Delta U = nN_A\Delta KE_{avg} = \frac{3}{2}nN_Ak\Delta T = \frac{3}{2}nR\Delta T[/itex]

Sorry brainfart ignore that. I meant I could use Q=nCvt for constant pressure processes but in that case its not Q=nCvt but U=nCvt but if its for constant volume processes than its Q=nCvt=U.

hqjb said:
Sorry brainfart ignore that. I meant I could use Q=nCvt for constant pressure processes but in that case its not Q=nCvt but U=nCvt but if its for constant volume processes than its Q=nCvt=U.

Yup! dU for an ideal gas is always equal to nCvdT :smile:

Related to Understanding Q=mcΔT and ΔH for Gases: Constant Pressure and Volume Concepts

1. What does the equation Q=mcΔT represent?

The equation Q=mcΔT is known as the heat equation, and it represents the relationship between heat (Q), mass (m), specific heat capacity (c), and change in temperature (ΔT) of a substance.

2. How is the equation Q=mcΔT used in science?

This equation is used to calculate the amount of heat energy (in joules) required to change the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. It is commonly used in thermodynamics and heat transfer calculations.

3. What are the units for each variable in Q=mcΔT?

The units for Q are joules (J), for m are kilograms (kg), for c are joules per kilogram per degree Celsius (J/kg°C), and for ΔT are degrees Celsius (°C).

4. How does the specific heat capacity (c) affect the amount of heat energy (Q) in the equation Q=mcΔT?

The specific heat capacity (c) is a measure of how much heat energy is required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. The higher the specific heat capacity, the more heat energy is needed to raise the temperature of the substance, resulting in a larger value for Q.

5. What does a positive or negative value for Q in the equation Q=mcΔT indicate?

A positive value for Q indicates that heat energy is being added to the substance, resulting in an increase in temperature. A negative value for Q indicates that heat energy is being removed from the substance, resulting in a decrease in temperature.