Thermodynamic problem and formula homework help

In summary: The ideal gas law is strictly applicable only to reversible processes, and should not be used in this case.
dUDEonAfORUM
Moved from technical forums, no template
An ideal gas at initial state has temperature 300 K has been compressed under constant pressure of 30 Pa from volume 3 cubic meters to 1.8 cubic meters. In the process 75 J of heat was lost.
A. Find the change in internal energy
B. Find the final temperature

I tried two methods in A and they give out different answers
Method I

formula: ΔU = Q- W = Q - PΔV
answer -39 J

Method II
formula: ΔU = 3/2 nRΔT = 3/2 PΔV
since this is an isobaric process PΔV=nRΔT
But the answer from this is -54 Jwhich method is wrong? If Method II is wrong, but then when can I use ΔU=3/2 PΔV
I think Method II is wrong as P in PΔV=nRΔT refers to the pressure of the ideal gas, but the pressure given is the external pressure acting on the gas...is this true?

As for B, I don't know whether to use PΔV=nRΔT or ΔU = 3/2 nRΔT

Physics news on Phys.org
dUDEonAfORUM said:
An ideal gas at initial state has temperature 300 K has been compressed under constant pressure of 30 Pa from volume 3 cubic meters to 1.8 cubic meters. In the process 75 J of heat was lost.
A. Find the change in internal energy
B. Find the final temperature

I tried two methods in A and they give out different answers
Method I

formula: ΔU = Q- W = Q - PΔV
answer -39 J

Method II
formula: ΔU = 3/2 nRΔT = 3/2 PΔV
since this is an isobaric process PΔV=nRΔT
But the answer from this is -54 Jwhich method is wrong? If Method II is wrong, but then when can I use ΔU=3/2 PΔV
I think Method II is wrong as P in PΔV=nRΔT refers to the pressure of the ideal gas, but the pressure given is the external pressure acting on the gas...is this true?

As for B, I don't know whether to use PΔV=nRΔT or ΔU = 3/2 nRΔT

If the question didn't specified if the gas is monoatomic, diatomic or so, you probably should stay safe and use method I.

EDIT: Also, I don't think you are accounting for the 75 J of energy lost due to heat transfer during the process when you use the second method.

Last edited:
Method 2 is wrong for the very reason you gave. In an irreversible compression like this, you can't use the ideal gas law because (1) the gas pressure isn't even uniform within the cylinder during the deformation and (2) viscous stresses in the gas (due to the rapid deformation) contribute to the force per unit area that the gas exerts on the piston face.

Related to Thermodynamic problem and formula homework help

1. What is thermodynamics and why is it important?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations. It is important because it helps us understand how energy is used and transferred in various processes, such as in engines and power plants.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern energy and its transformations. They include the first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted, and the second law, which states that the entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

3. How do I solve thermodynamic problems?

To solve thermodynamic problems, you need to apply the laws of thermodynamics and use relevant formulas and equations. It is important to clearly define the system and its boundaries, and carefully consider all the given information before attempting to solve the problem.

4. What are some common thermodynamics formulas?

Some common thermodynamics formulas include the ideal gas law (PV = nRT), the first law of thermodynamics (ΔU = Q - W), and the second law of thermodynamics (ΔS = Qrev/T), among others. It is important to understand how and when to apply these formulas in different scenarios.

5. Why do I need to understand thermodynamics?

Understanding thermodynamics is essential for various fields such as physics, chemistry, engineering, and environmental science. It helps us understand the behavior of matter and energy, and how they interact with each other. Additionally, many real-world applications rely on thermodynamics, such as energy production, refrigeration, and climate change.