Understanding Properties of Integrals: How to Simplify an Integral

In summary, the speaker is studying for a multivariable calculus course and is having trouble simplifying an integral. They seek help to continue or determine what property was used in the simplification shown in the book. The expert suggests using substitution and converting the integral to sqrt(1+z^2) dz, then applying substitution. The speaker also asks about the appearance of 1/d outside of the integral and the expert advises to integrate over x. The speaker then asks for further guidance on how to proceed with the integral and the expert suggests using a standard form and referencing a table of integrals. Finally, the speaker realizes that they need to add the fraction (x/2p)^2 to 1 before simplifying the integral
Mrencko

Homework Statement

i am studyng, for my multivariable calculus course, and i get this integral, the problem is, i don't know how the simplify the integral that way.

Homework Equations

i will put the integral in a very HD screen shoot, yes a litle one not the entire screen
calculo.png
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the symetrical property of definite integrals, and get stuck when i check the simplification they did in the book, i need help to know how to continue, or what property they used. i got the second line OK, then to the thirth line i got stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
Mrencko said:
i used the symetrical property of definite integrals, and get stuck when i check the simplification they did in the book, i need help to know how to continue, or what property they used. i got the second line OK, then to the thirth line i got stuck

you can try substitution method.
hint convert it to sqrt(1+z^2) dz and then apply substitution.

hi tanks for the answer, but if i do the sustitution how the 1/d ends out of the integral?

sorry 1/p

Mrencko said:
hi tanks for the answer, but if i do the sustitution how the 1/d ends out of the integral?
do not worry as you are integrating over x.

forgot it i have done z=x/2p
dz=1/2p
then... 2(1/2p)=1/p outside
now my doubt is how to make squart 4p2 + x2?

ok now i got 1/p∫√(1+z2)dz how i should proceed to make that into this 1/p∫√(4p2+x2)dx
its like somehow, they put the (x/2p)2=x2/4p2 into a sum, but only happens in logaritm properties

Mrencko said:
ok now i got 1/p∫√(1+z2)dz how i should proceed to make that into this 1/p∫√(4p2+x2)dx

actually the idea is to get a standard form and then use the results from table of integrals

Mrencko said:

Homework Statement

i am studyng, for my multivariable calculus course, and i get this integral, the problem is, i don't know how the simplify the integral that way.

Homework Equations

i will put the integral in a very HD screen shoot, yes a litle one not the entire screenView attachment 98661 [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

What happens when you put ##1 + (\frac{x}{2p})^2## over a common denominator? That's the step you're missing: how to add a fraction to a whole number.

Likes Mrencko
Hi, so you mean 2p/2p +(x/2p)^2??

SteamKing said:
What happens when you put ##1 + (\frac{x}{2p})^2## over a common denominator? That's the step you're missing: how to add a fraction to a whole number.
thanks for reply

Mrencko said:
Hi, so you mean 2p/2p +(x/2p)^2??
Close, but you want to get the quantity ##(\frac{x}{2p})^2## added to 1.

Likes Mrencko
Well, following your previous hint, a way to add a fraction number, to a whole y should do the following: 1 + x^2/4p^2=(4p^2+x^2)/4p^2
It's ok?

Mrencko said:
Well, following your previous hint, a way to add a fraction number, to a whole y should do the following: 1 + x^2/4p^2=(4p^2+x^2)/4p^2
It's ok?
That looks OK. You should be able to simplify the original integral as shown.

Oh my god it was so obvious, many thanks now looks like squareroot((1/4p^2)(4p^2 +x^)

Related to Understanding Properties of Integrals: How to Simplify an Integral

1. What is the definition of the integral?

The integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulated area under a curve in a given interval. It is also known as the inverse operation of the derivative.

2. What are the properties of the integral?

The properties of the integral include linearity, additivity, and the fundamental theorem of calculus. These properties allow for the manipulation and evaluation of integrals in various ways.

3. How is the integral related to the limit of a Riemann sum?

The integral can be defined as the limit of a Riemann sum, which is a sum of areas under a curve as the width of the intervals approaches zero. This relationship is important in understanding the concept of the integral.

4. Can the integral be used to find the area of a region?

Yes, the integral can be used to find the area of a region bounded by a curve and the x-axis. This is known as a definite integral and is represented by a specific interval of integration.

5. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and represents a single value, while an indefinite integral has no limits and represents a family of functions that differ by a constant value.