Understanding Modes in Fibre: Equations for Allowed Angles of Propagation

This equation helps determine the allowed angles of propagation for a given fibre. In summary, the equation SinΘp = pλ / 2πdnf can be used to calculate the maximum angle of propagation in a fibre based on the number of modes and width of the fibre.
Jon.G
So I've got the equation for 'allowed angles of propagation':
SinΘp = pλ / 2πdnf
With p is the mode, λ the wavelength, d the width and n the refractive index.

I'm just not sure what to do with this equation, and my lecture notes don't go into any more detail.
For example, if I knew the the max number of modes (p) and I put this into the equation, would the value I get for the angle be the maximum value for propagation in this fibre?
I know this is probably something simple I should be able to figure out, but my mind is all over the place atm and I seem to be struggling to think things through and make simple connections :P

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for any help!Yes, the value you get for the angle is the maximum value for propagation in this fibre. If the refractive index and wavelength are fixed, then the angle of propagation is determined by the number of modes (p) and the width of the fibre (d). The more modes allowed, the larger the angle of propagation, and vice versa.

Related to Understanding Modes in Fibre: Equations for Allowed Angles of Propagation

1. What are modes in fibre?

Modes in fibre refer to the different paths that light can take as it travels through a fibre optic cable. These modes can be described by the angles at which the light enters and propagates through the fibre.

2. Why is it important to understand modes in fibre?

Understanding modes in fibre is crucial for designing and optimizing fibre optic systems. Different modes have different propagation characteristics, which can affect the efficiency and speed of data transmission. By understanding modes, scientists and engineers can create more efficient and reliable fibre optic systems.

3. What are the equations for allowed angles of propagation?

The equations for allowed angles of propagation are the critical angle equation and the acceptance angle equation. The critical angle equation calculates the maximum angle at which light can enter the fibre and still be transmitted. The acceptance angle equation calculates the range of angles at which light can enter the fibre and still be transmitted.

4. How do the equations for allowed angles of propagation affect fibre optic systems?

The equations for allowed angles of propagation determine the range of angles at which light can enter and propagate through a fibre optic cable. This affects the efficiency and speed of data transmission, as well as the amount of data that can be transmitted through the cable. Properly understanding and utilizing these equations is crucial for optimizing fibre optic systems.

5. What other factors should be considered in understanding modes in fibre?

In addition to the equations for allowed angles of propagation, scientists must also consider the material and design of the fibre optic cable, as well as the type of light being transmitted. These factors can also affect the modes and their propagation characteristics, and must be taken into account when designing and analyzing fibre optic systems.