What is the internal radius of the optical fibre

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the minimum internal radius of a capillary tube made of glass with refractive index n1, filled with a liquid of refractive index n2<n1. The question is how small the inner radius can be so that all rays incident on the outside enter the inner tube. The conversation also suggests drawing a diagram and considering the possibility that it is not related to an optical fiber.
Ajaroy

Homework Statement

A Capillary tube is made of glass of refractive index n1 . The outer radius of the tube is R.The tube is filled with a liquid of refractive index n2 < n1 .what should be the minimum internal radius of the tube so that any ray that hits the tube would enter the liquid

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in an optical fibre they are core and cladding.it operates by principle of total internal reflection.i have calculated maximum incident angle possible
As i = arcsin √n12
-n22

How to get terms in terms of R and should we consider any size approximations as it is a capillary tube is what I can't understand.
If we should consider approximations then how?Please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think this question is related to an optical fiber with cladding. Consider the drawing that shows a ray coming in from the outside. A typical ray is shown incident on the capillary. The question is how small the inner radius can be so that all the rays incident on the outside enter the inner tube. Draw a neat ray diagram of the path that the ray shown follows and write some equations down. Hint: A useful parameter is the vertical distance between the ray and the dotted line.

Capillary.png

Attachments

• Capillary.png
    Capillary.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 502
Ajaroy said:
A Capillary tube is made of glass of refractive index n1 . The outer radius of the tube is R.The tube is filled with a liquid of refractive index n2 < n1 .
what should be the minimum internal radius of the tube so that any ray that hits the tube would enter the liquid
Have you considered the possibility that this is not about an optic fibre? It sounds to me as if the light might be striking perpendicular to the axis of the tube. Otherwise I can't see any reason why a paraxial ray should ever enter the liquid.

Try drawing a diagram.

Related to What is the internal radius of the optical fibre

What is the internal radius of the optical fibre?

The internal radius of an optical fibre refers to the distance from the center of the fibre to the inner edge of the cladding, typically measured in micrometers (μm). This radius is important because it affects the amount of light that can be transmitted through the fibre.

How is the internal radius of an optical fibre measured?

The internal radius of an optical fibre is typically measured using specialized equipment such as an optical microscope or a laser scanning confocal microscope. These instruments use light to measure the diameter of the fibre and can provide highly accurate results.

What factors can affect the internal radius of an optical fibre?

The internal radius of an optical fibre can be affected by various factors such as manufacturing processes, temperature, and stress. For example, during the fabrication process, the internal radius can be affected by the stretching and heating of the fibre. Changes in temperature and stress can also cause the fibre to expand or contract, altering its internal radius.

Why is the internal radius of an optical fibre important?

The internal radius of an optical fibre plays a crucial role in determining the amount of light that can be transmitted through the fibre. A smaller internal radius allows for more efficient transmission of light, while a larger radius can lead to loss of light and decreased signal quality. Therefore, precise control of the internal radius is essential for optimizing optical fibre performance.

Can the internal radius of an optical fibre be changed?

Yes, the internal radius of an optical fibre can be changed through various processes such as stretching, heating, or coating with different materials. These methods are often used in the manufacturing process to achieve specific internal radius values for different applications.