Understanding Flux of Vector Fields: Equations, Solutions, and Common Mistakes

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating flux using a formula from a book. The main issue is that the normal vector is in the wrong direction, and it is suggested to parameterize the surface and use the cross product to obtain the correct normal vector.
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Example 2:[/B]
image.jpg
image.jpg

Homework Equations

Flux=integrate -Pgx-Qgy+R of the proj. area on xy plane for z=g(x,y)

The Attempt at a Solution

Why do my attempt is wrong? The example is using the foundational formula while I use the stock formula from the book, why is there a negative sign difference between the answers? Or is that my formula used inappropiately?

Thanks![/B]
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 789
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 784
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
One reason PF discourages the use of images is that they are difficult to edit. On your first line you have the equation ##g = y = x^2##, whatever that means. You are likely using the formula for a surface of the form ##z = g(x,y)##. The surface ##y = x^2## is not that kind of surface because ##y## and ##x## are not independent. The easiest way to represent the surface is ##y = g(x,z)##. In any case, however you did it, your normal vector is in the wrong direction. The ##y## component of your normal vector must be negative.

Last edited:
Likes yecko
LCKurtz said:
The y coordinate of your normal vector must be negative.
Thanks for pointing out the problem...
yecko said:
Flux=integrate -Pgx-Qgy+R of the proj. area on xy plane for z=g(x,y)
but how can we see the direction of normal vector in this formula?
and how to correct it? (simply by adding a negative sign?)

yecko said:
Thanks for pointing out the problem...

but how can we see the direction of normal vector in this formula?
and how to correct it? (simply by adding a negative sign?)

I can't tell how you got your normal or what formula you used because you didn't show your work. What I would do is parameterize the surface like this$$
\vec R(x,z) = \langle x, x^2, z\rangle$$and get a normal by ##\vec R_x\times \vec R_z## and take it or its opposite, whichever has a negative ##y## component.

Alright! I believe I've got it! thanks!

Attachments

• 001.png
    001.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 457

Related to Understanding Flux of Vector Fields: Equations, Solutions, and Common Mistakes

1. What is flux of a vector field?

The flux of a vector field is a measure of the flow of a vector field through a given surface. It represents the amount of "flow" of a vector field passing through a certain area. It is also known as the flow rate or flow of a vector field.

2. How is flux of a vector field calculated?

The flux of a vector field is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with the unit normal vector to the surface it is passing through. This value is then multiplied by the area of the surface. The resulting value is the flux of the vector field through that surface.

3. What is the significance of flux of a vector field?

The flux of a vector field is an important concept in physics and mathematics, as it helps us understand the flow of various physical quantities such as fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and gravitational fields. It also plays a crucial role in the study of differential equations and vector calculus.

4. How is flux related to divergence and curl?

The flux of a vector field is related to its divergence and curl through the Divergence Theorem and Stokes' Theorem, respectively. These theorems provide a way to calculate the flux of a vector field through a closed surface or a surface with a boundary in terms of the divergence and curl of the vector field. This relationship is fundamental in understanding the behavior of vector fields.

5. Can flux be negative?

Yes, flux can be negative. This occurs when the vector field is flowing in the opposite direction of the surface's unit normal vector. In this case, the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector will result in a negative value, indicating a negative flux through the surface.