Line integral of a vector field

In summary: I am wrong at the second term! Thanks for pointing it out!In summary, the conversation discussed the solution to a question involving the line integrals of three gradient vector fields, F, G, and H. The solution involved parameterizing a unit circle and evaluating the line integrals using the dot product formula. The numerical answer for G was found to be -2pi, while the answers for F and H were both 0. The use of Green's Theorem and the gradient theorem were also discussed in the context of the solution.
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
I would like to ask for Q5b function G & H
螢幕快照 2017-11-29 下午10.38.37.png

Homework Equations

answer: G: -2pi H: 0
by drawing the vector field

The Attempt at a Solution

the solution is like: by drawing the vector field, vector field of function G is always tangential to the circle in clockwise direction, so line integral is -2pi; vector field of function H is always perpendicular to the circle, so line integral is 0.

the definition of flux is the vector field crosses the designated area, "perpendicular" should be crosses while "tangential" is just touching the circle, isn't it?

I am now really confused with how can we visualize the equations with their physical meaning behind in order to obtain the answer... can anyone help me in clarifying the concept?

thank you so much!

Attachments

• 螢幕快照 2017-11-29 下午10.38.37.png
    螢幕快照 2017-11-29 下午10.38.37.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 802
Physics news on Phys.org
Answer for G must be wrong, Curl(G)=0 everywhere in the x-y plane, hence by stokes theorem the line integral around any curve in the x-y plane is zero.

If you haven't been taught stokes theorem yet, then there is another way to see it. If from the answer in 5(a) the potential function for G is well defined in the unit circle of the xy-plane then by using the gradient theorem you can easily see that the answer will be zero. I think all the 3 answers for 5(b) should be zero.

to be honest, the solution is below, yet I am not good at reading html codes...
Code:
Context()->texStrings;
SOLUTION(EV3(<<'END_SOLUTION'));
$PAR SOLUTION $PAR

$BBOLD(a)$EBOLD
We see that \(\vec F,\vec G,\vec H\) are all gradient vector fields, since
\[
\nabla ($f) = \vec F\quad\mbox{for all }x,y,
\]
\[
\nabla ($g) = \vec G\quad\mbox{except where }y=0,
\]
and
\[
\nabla ($h) = \vec H\quad\mbox{except at }(0,0).
\]
Other answers are possible.

$PAR
$BBOLD(b)$EBOLD
Parameterizing the unit circle, \(C\), by \(x=\cos t\), \(y=\sin t\),
\(0\le t\le 2\pi\), we have \(\vec r'(t) =-\sin t\,\vec i+ \cos t\,\vec j\), so
\[
\int_C\vec F\cdot d\vec r = $a1d\int_0^{2\pi}((\sin t)\vec i+(\cos t)\vec
j)\cdot ((-\sin t)\vec i+(\cos t)\vec j)\,dt = $a1d\int_0^{2\pi}\cos (2t)\,dt
= 0.
\]
The vector field \(\vec G\) is tangent to the circle, pointing in the
opposite direction to the parameterization, and of length $a2
everywhere.  Thus
\[
\int_C\vec G\cdot d\vec r= -$a2\cdot\hbox{ Length of circle }=-$twoa2\pi.
\]
The vector field \(\vec H\) points radially outward, so it is
perpendicular to the circle everywhere.  Thus
\[
\int_C\vec H\cdot d\vec r = 0.
\]

$PAR
${BBOLD}(c)$EBOLD
Green's Theorem does not apply to the computation of the line
integrals for \(\vec G\) and \(\vec H\) because their domains do not
include the origin, which is in the interior, \(R\), of the circle.
Green's Theorem does apply to \(\vec F=$fx\vec i+$fy\vec j\).
\[
\int_C\vec F\cdot d\vec r =
\int_R\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x} F_2 -
  \frac{\partial}{\partial y} F_1\right)\,dx\,dy = \int 0\,dx\,dy=0.
\]

END_SOLUTION

from my notes, the numerical answer have got the similar answer, but I am not sure the reason why...
(i have not learned stroke theorem as it is out of our syllabus, and I have learned till divergence theorem right now)

Ok well, seems I am wrong, it says that the line integral of G is as you said 2pi. And it also says that Green's Theorem (which is special case of Stoke's Theorem in 2 dimensions) doesn't apply for G and H (because G and H are not defined at (0,0)).

I guess gradient theorem also doesn't hold for G because it says the gradient of g with ##\nabla{g}=G## isn't defined for y=0.

I have tried to evaluate it once more, yet the answer is still wrong... how should i deal with it?
DFE0D62A-CCDC-4A6E-AD5B-3F938F24C981.jpeg

Attachments

• DFE0D62A-CCDC-4A6E-AD5B-3F938F24C981.jpeg
    DFE0D62A-CCDC-4A6E-AD5B-3F938F24C981.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Likes yecko
O thanks

Likes Delta2

What is a line integral of a vector field?

A line integral of a vector field is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total value of a vector field along a given path or curve.

How is the line integral of a vector field calculated?

The line integral of a vector field is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and a differential element along the given path or curve, and then integrating this product over the entire path or curve.

What is the significance of the line integral of a vector field?

The line integral of a vector field has many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating work done by a force field or the circulation of a fluid.

What are the differences between a line integral and a surface integral?

A line integral is used to calculate the total value of a vector field along a curve, while a surface integral is used to calculate the total value of a vector field over a surface. Additionally, the mathematical formulas for calculating these integrals are different.

What are some real-world examples of line integrals of vector fields?

Line integrals of vector fields can be used to calculate the work done by a force field on a moving object, the flux of a fluid through a surface, or the path taken by a particle in a magnetic field.