Understanding ds in Advanced Calculus

In summary, the notation ds often appears in advanced calculus for line integrals, surface integrals, and arc length. It represents the infinitesimal length of a curve or surface and is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. When using ds for arc length, it is divided by the change in x to simplify calculations. For surface integrals, it is divided by dA, the infinitesimal area element.
Trapezoid

Homework Statement

My question is not specific to any particular problem but is rather of a conceptual nature. In my advanced calculus class this semester, the notation ds appears often, for line integrals, surface integrals, and arc length. In all honestly, I don't really understand what ds is and, as such, have had a lot of trouble solving problems involving it. Furthermore, while I know all of the formulas, I don't really understand how or why they work. Could somebody help me out on this one?

Homework Equations

arc length:
[tex]ds = \sqrt{ \left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right) ^2 + 1} [/tex]

surface integral: [tex]\int \int f(x, y, z) dS = \int \int f(x, y, g(x, y)) \sqrt{\left( \frac{\partial g}{\partial x} \right) ^2 + \left( \frac{\partial g}{\partial y} \right) ^2 + 1} \: dA[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I can tell, the element ds seems always to reduce the dimension of the function by 1. Perhaps it represents a projection onto that dimension? Obviously, if it's used to calculate surface area of solids and arc length of 2D functions, something like that must be going on, right? Am I on the right track?

Thanks,
Trapezoid

Physics news on Phys.org
As Dustinsfl said, it's just arc length

What does this mean you might ask?

Take some curve and then zoom into the infinitesimal level, how long is each little infinitesimal length of curve?
Through pythagoras we see that the length of the little segment should be
[itex]ds=\sqrt{dx^2 + dy^2}[/itex]
This is a bit awkward to work with however, so let us divide through by [itex]dx[/itex] to get
[itex]ds=\sqrt{1+\frac{dy}{dx}^2}dx[/itex]
Adding up the length of all these little segments, which is just the integral over ds, will then give you the arc length

genericusrnme said:
As Dustinsfl said, it's just arc length

What does this mean you might ask?

Take some curve and then zoom into the infinitesimal level, how long is each little infinitesimal length of curve?
Through pythagoras we see that the length of the little segment should be
[itex]ds=\sqrt{dx^2 + dy^2}[/itex]
This is a bit awkward to work with however, so let us divide through by [itex]dx[/itex] to get
[itex]ds=\sqrt{1+\frac{dy}{dx}^2}dx[/itex]
To be clearer, I would write the above as
$$ds=\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2}dx $$
genericusrnme said:
Adding up the length of all these little segments, which is just the integral over ds, will then give you the arc length

To find the arc length of the curve C:
[tex]\int_C \,ds[/tex]

Thanks to everyone for your quick replies and kudoes to genericusrname - that explanation really helped. I still, however, have a bit of trouble seeing how it relates to surface integrals.

An infinitesimally small portion of the surface of a solid is represented by [itex]ds = \sqrt{dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2}[/itex] but dividing by dz looks like [itex]ds = \sqrt{\left( \frac{\partial x}{\partial z} \right) ^2 + \left( \frac{\partial y}{\partial z} \right) ^2 + 1} \: dz[/itex] which doesn't look right. If z is a function of x and y, then perhaps we need to divide by the element dA but, again, I don't see how that would work.

Any tips? Have I completely misunderstood? :-p

Trapezoid said:
Thanks to everyone for your quick replies and kudoes to genericusrname - that explanation really helped. I still, however, have a bit of trouble seeing how it relates to surface integrals.

An infinitesimally small portion of the surface of a solid is represented by [itex]ds = \sqrt{dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2}[/itex] but dividing by dz looks like [itex]ds = \sqrt{\left( \frac{\partial x}{\partial z} \right) ^2 + \left( \frac{\partial y}{\partial z} \right) ^2 + 1} \: dz[/itex] which doesn't look right. If z is a function of x and y, then perhaps we need to divide by the element dA but, again, I don't see how that would work.

Try to multiply the dz into the square root sign and you'll see. :smile:

Trapezoid said:

An infinitesimally small portion of the surface of a solid is represented by [itex]ds = \sqrt{dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2}[/itex] but dividing by dz looks like [itex]ds = \sqrt{\left( \frac{\partial x}{\partial z} \right) ^2 + \left( \frac{\partial y}{\partial z} \right) ^2 + 1} \: dz[/itex] which doesn't look right.
I'm guessing that x, y, and z are independent variables of, say, t. If so, then the above should look like
[tex] ds = \sqrt{\left( \frac{dx}{dt} \right) ^2 + \left( \frac{dy}{dt} \right) ^2 + \left( \frac{dz}{dt} \right) ^2} dt[/tex]
Trapezoid said:
If z is a function of x and y, then perhaps we need to divide by the element dA but, again, I don't see how that would work.

Related to Understanding ds in Advanced Calculus

1. What is the purpose of understanding ds in Advanced Calculus?

The purpose of understanding ds in Advanced Calculus is to gain a deeper understanding of the concept of integration and to apply it to more complex problems in mathematics and science. It also helps in developing critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.

2. How is ds related to the concept of infinitesimal?

In Advanced Calculus, ds is often used to represent an infinitesimal element or a small change in a variable. It can also be thought of as a way to measure small changes in a function or curve. Understanding ds allows for a more precise and rigorous approach to integration.

3. What are some real-world applications of understanding ds in Advanced Calculus?

Understanding ds in Advanced Calculus has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and finance. It is used to calculate areas and volumes of irregular shapes, finding the center of mass of an object, and even in optimization problems in business and economics.

4. Is understanding ds essential for mastering Advanced Calculus?

While it is not the only important concept in Advanced Calculus, understanding ds is crucial for mastering the subject. It is the foundation for many advanced topics in mathematics and is necessary for solving complex problems in calculus and other branches of math.

5. Are there any practical tips for understanding ds in Advanced Calculus?

Some practical tips for understanding ds in Advanced Calculus include practicing with various types of integrals, paying attention to the notation used for ds, and visualizing the concept through graphs and diagrams. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and to seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.