.Understanding DBI & DBD: Antennas & Gain

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between dBi and dBd, which are both measurements of antenna gain. dBi represents gain over an isotropic antenna, while dBd represents gain relative to a 1/2-wave dipole antenna. The conversation also mentions using an array of antennas to increase gain and provides a link for further information on antenna array patterns.
dervast
Hi i need information about th dbi and dbd... I know what db is but i am trying to understand dbi and dbd...

Also i want to know what if the antennas or the tvs antennas has some gain.. I know that the gain refers to the antennas surface... that's why the satellite antennas have a big surface for reception... The radio or tv antenna have very small surface so i think they don't have any gain

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe that dBi is gain over an isotropic antenna. I don't know what dBd is.

A half-wave dipole is an example of an isotropic radiator. When seen from above, the radiation pattern is circular. That is, it doesn't matter at what angle theta the receiving antenna is located around the radiating antenna, it will have the same receive strength at a given radius from the dipole.

Yes, you can get a huge amount of gain with a large parabolic antenna feeding a waveguide, as long as the frequencies are compatible with the waveguide, of course. At lower frequencies, you can still have some modest dBi gain over an isotropic receive antenna like a dipole. One way to do it is to use an array of antennas, which will give you more gain in some theta angles and corresponding less in other angles. Look up the subject of antenna arrays for more info and some illustrations of antenna gain patterns.

Thx a lot man do u have anyurl in mind.. I think that if i try google i will lose time tryint to figure out what is valuable and what is not

As I understand it, dBi is the gain over an isotropic antenna. An isotropic radiator is a lossless dimensionless point in free space that radiates equally http://www.hp.com/rnd/images/pdf_html/antennas_figure6.jpg

A reasonable example of isotropic radiator is a vertical 1/4-wave antenna. From above this will radiate iso (same) in all directions.

Whereas dBd is the gain relative to a 1/2-wave dipole antenna. The radiation of a dipole (typically mounted with horizontal polarization), is http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~dorsey/phys6347/worksheets/images/radiation6.gif shaped.

One relationship, comparing the two terms I've seen is
dBi = dBd + 2.15 (http://www.softwright.com/faq/engineering/FIELD%20INTENSITY%20UNITS.html)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to .Understanding DBI & DBD: Antennas & Gain

What is DBI and DBD in relation to antennas?

DBI (Decibels Isotropic) and DBD (Decibels Dipole) are units of measurement used to quantify the gain of an antenna. DBI is measured relative to an isotropic radiator (a theoretical antenna with a perfectly spherical radiation pattern), while DBD is measured relative to a half-wave dipole antenna.

What is antenna gain?

Antenna gain is a measure of how much power an antenna can focus in a particular direction compared to a reference antenna, such as an isotropic radiator or a half-wave dipole antenna. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and higher gain antennas are able to transmit and receive signals more efficiently over longer distances.

How is antenna gain calculated?

Antenna gain is calculated by comparing the power in a particular direction of the antenna in question to the power that would be transmitted by an isotropic radiator or a half-wave dipole antenna. The resulting value is then expressed in decibels (dB) to represent the gain of the antenna.

What factors affect antenna gain?

There are several factors that can affect antenna gain, including the design and size of the antenna, the materials used, and the frequency at which it operates. Additionally, the environment in which the antenna is installed can also impact its gain, as obstacles and interference can affect the strength of the signal being transmitted and received.

Why is understanding antenna gain important?

Understanding antenna gain is important because it allows us to compare the performance of different antennas and choose the most suitable one for a particular application. Higher gain antennas are generally better for long-range communication, while lower gain antennas may be more suitable for shorter distances or in environments with a lot of obstacles. Additionally, understanding antenna gain can help us optimize the performance of our antenna systems and improve overall communication efficiency.