Does the size of an antenna matter?

In summary, a small antenna can be a reasonable receive (Rx) antenna, but will not be able to transmit (Tx) high power efficiently. To transmit with a small antenna, you'll need to use a larger antenna.
Miss Amy
Hello. I have a very small antenna and I was wondering if it can receive and/or transmit low frequency signals (or if it can only receive/transmit high frequencies). Likewise, do I need a very large antenna to receive/transmit low frequencies? I've read somewhere on the internet that the antenna's size scales up the lower down the frequency you go so I wanted to double check what you folks know. I've used a spectrum analyzer with ~8in antennas and they were able to pick up a band between 15MHz-2.7GHz, so that's where my confusion starts with the size. Thanks for reading.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The antenna length tells you the frequency at which the antenna will resonate, and thus be most efficient. Antennas used for frequencies other than their resonant frequency will often use a matching network of some kind to get better efficiency.

The Wikipedia article on dipole antennas does a pretty good job of covering this:

Dipole antenna - Wikipedia

Likes osilmag, Asymptotic, berkeman and 1 other person
Yes size matters, if you want a good antenna, that is. The study of antenna design is complicated and is mostly about dealing with how to make a good antenna when making a great antenna is too hard or impossible.
As gneill suggested, start with understanding the dipole antenna.

Miss Amy said:
a very small antenna and I was wondering if it can receive and/or transmit low frequency signals
A small antenna can be a reasonable receive (Rx) antenna, but will not be able to transmit (Tx) high power efficiently. See the pictures below for an AM radio Rx (ferrite rod) antenna from a portable radio, and the corresponding AM radio Tx antenna...
Miss Amy said:
I've used a spectrum analyzer with ~8in antennas and they were able to pick up a band between 15MHz-2.7GHz,
Do you have access to a Vector Network Analyzer (VNA) and two of your 8" antennas? If so, scan S11 first on one antenna to see what its input impedance looks like. Then scan S21 with antennas on each of the two VNA ports to see how the transfer from one to the other works. You will see the resonances that work well around the resonant lengths of the two antennas.

Rx AM Ferrite Rod Antenna:

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/el...e-am-antenna-readers-digest-stereo-800-xr.jpg

ferrite-am-antenna-readers-digest-stereo-800-xr.jpg
Tx AM Antenna:

http://blogs.dailybreeze.com/history/files/import/33838-P1000132.JPG

33838-P1000132.jpg

Attachments

• ferrite-am-antenna-readers-digest-stereo-800-xr.jpg
    ferrite-am-antenna-readers-digest-stereo-800-xr.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 33838-P1000132.jpg
    33838-P1000132.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 982
Likes NTL2009, dlgoff, Asymptotic and 1 other person

Related to Does the size of an antenna matter?

What is an antenna?

An antenna is a device used to transmit and receive radio waves. It converts electrical signals into electromagnetic waves and vice versa.

Why is the size of an antenna important?

The size of an antenna is important because it affects its efficiency. A larger antenna can capture and transmit more radio waves, making it more effective at communication.

Does the size of an antenna affect its range?

Yes, the size of an antenna does affect its range. A larger antenna can transmit and receive signals over a longer distance compared to a smaller antenna.

Is a bigger antenna always better?

Not necessarily. While a larger antenna may have a longer range and better efficiency, it may not be practical for certain applications. Factors such as cost, space limitations, and specific frequency requirements also play a role in determining the best antenna size.

What other factors besides size affect antenna performance?

Besides size, the design and placement of the antenna, as well as the frequency and power of the signal being transmitted, can also impact antenna performance. Environmental factors such as interference and obstructions can also affect the effectiveness of an antenna.