Calculate IC equalizer frequencies and gain

tritonas00
Homework Statement: Calculate frequencies/gain in an AC circuit given capacitance and resistance
Relevant Equations: Looking for them :P

Hi! I have this diagram:

eq.png

BA3823LS monolithic, five-point stereo graphic equalizer IC is used. Is there any way to calculate the frequencies (hz) that are defined and how much boost/cut gain (db) is applied in each frequency? If i'm reading this correctly the capacitors (C56, C55, ...) are used for setting the frequencies and the resistances on the side are used to cut/boost those frequencies?

I don't know anything about electronics and all the info i have is https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/233435/Rohm/BA3823LS/1 where application examples of the BA3823LS are shown with the 5 center frequencies and some min/typ/max gain values.

This is not a homework, just trying to figure out what the above equalizer actually does. Thanks for your time and sorry if i'm posting this in wrong section.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok, about the frequencies i just noticed that the capacitors used in the example application (pdf) are the same as the diagram shown. Show they would probably be the same:

fre.png

So what remains is the gain (db), how much they boost or cut those frequencies. For example those, if i'm reading this correctly:

res.png

Is there an equation to find the db based on those two values?

What is an IC equalizer and what does it do?

An IC equalizer, or integrated circuit equalizer, is a device used in audio processing to adjust the balance between frequency components within an electronic signal. It manipulates the amplitude of signals at different frequencies, enhancing or diminishing specific frequency bands, thus allowing for customized audio outputs tailored to specific listening environments or preferences.

How do you calculate the frequencies for an IC equalizer?

The frequencies for an IC equalizer are typically calculated based on the audio spectrum you wish to manage. These are often divided into bands (like bass, midrange, and treble), and the specific frequencies are chosen to best represent these ranges. For example, bass might be set from 20 Hz to 200 Hz, midrange from 200 Hz to 2 kHz, and treble from 2 kHz to 20 kHz. The exact frequencies can be adjusted based on the specific application or the acoustical properties of the listening environment.

What is gain in the context of IC equalizers?

In the context of IC equalizers, gain refers to the level of amplification or attenuation applied to a specific frequency band. Adjusting the gain allows the user to increase or decrease the volume of sounds within a particular frequency range, thereby shaping the overall sound output to better suit the listener's preferences or to compensate for acoustical anomalies in the environment.

How is the gain for each frequency band determined?

The gain for each frequency band in an IC equalizer is determined based on the desired sound output and the characteristics of the audio content. This can be influenced by subjective listening tests or by using objective measurements such as spectral analysis to identify frequencies that are too prominent or too subdued. The gains are then adjusted accordingly to achieve a balanced or desired sound profile.

What are some common challenges when setting frequencies and gain in IC equalizers?

Some common challenges include finding the right balance that suits all types of audio content, dealing with the acoustical properties of different spaces, and managing user preferences that can vary widely. Additionally, excessive boosting of gain in certain frequency bands can lead to distortion or can mask other important sounds in the audio mix. It requires careful tuning and sometimes compromises to achieve the best overall result.