Potential energy in a mouse trap

In summary, the conversation is about a student building a mouse trap car for a school project and needing to hand in a report on it the next day. The student is trying to calculate the amount of energy lost to friction, warmth, and sound by dividing the total kinetic energy by the potential energy. They discuss various equations including potential energy in a torsion spring, Hooke's law, work, and torque. They also mention using fish scales to measure the force and using degrees instead of radians. The final solution involves measuring force in Newtons and using degrees for the calculations. The student clarifies that they do not need precise measurements for their project.
Eirik

Homework Statement

So I have been building a mouse trap car at my school, and I need to hand in a report on it tomorrow. :biggrin: I don't have all of the measurments at the moment, but the only thing I want to know is how to calculate this. I want to see how much energy is lost to friction/warmth/sound by dividing the total kinetic energy(I have figured that out!) by the potential energy.

The mouse trap is 180° or π rad from the closed position when it's set.
So
228647b7d4a18b6c8c0c390b439a61da8fafec76
=π rad
I only have the average speed.

Homework Equations

Potential energy in a torsion spring:
968f9659ad623d75a57358af25da79e7353c59a9

Hooke's law:
542d71db0e7fac8be72bc0651ed2734e4edf90fb

Work: W=F*s
Torque:
91e737c6cd7e5dcff24bfcc3344de3188185e7a3

426652ff2894f2a5d673257e24d4d537f76d0e64

The Attempt at a Solution

So at first I was thinking that that k must be equal to T /
, and that T must be equal to the arm length times the average force used to set the mouse trap. k should therefore be k=T/π=(r*π*F)/π. Using the torsion spring equation, I then get U=(r*F*π)/2.

I then thought that the work in order to set the mouse trap should be equal to the potential energy. I used the circumference of a semicircle as the stretch. I then got W=F*π*r, but this is twice as much as I got with my other ""solution"".

I then thought that I might be able to just use that the X in Hooke's law is equal to the circumference of the semicircle. k should therefore be F/(π*r). Using the first equation, I then get U=(1/2) * (F/(π*r)) * π^2= (F*π)/(r*2)

I'm also not sure about how F should be measured. Should I take the force used when you're barely lifting the mouse trap + the force used when it's fully set and divide that by 2?

Sorry if anything was unclear!:confused: What do you reckon I should do?

Physics news on Phys.org
The (1/2)*k*theta2 comes from integrating k*
*d
. Note that the force necessary to hold the spring at
is k*
. Since you probably don't know what k is, replace k
with (force), and integrate (force)d
. Approximate this integral with a summation. If you have some fish scales (the kind which you hang the fish), then hook that onto the arm of the trap, and take some force measurements at equal angles. Try at least 8 to get decent accuracy - more if you can. You'll need a protractor. Use the midpoint or trapezoidal rule of sums. And you should pull at right angles to the moment arm (mousetrap arm). If not, then you are going to need to do some trig. Hopefully that should be pretty close to the amount of energy put into the spring.
As far as taking the average of the two extremes, that would be what I would do if no other options are available.

Likes Eirik
You should measure the force, as you described, at the point where you barely lift it and then where it is fully cocked, then subtract the first force from the second one and divide that value by the number of degrees between those two points, that will give you the correct units for the spring factor κ in lbs/degree; and, multiply that by the square of number of degrees you measured between the two load points to get the potential energy U of the trap in its cocked position.

Likes Eirik
Please note that I edited my initial post to read: "then subtract the first force from the second one" if you opened that post before I made my correction.

JBA said:
You should measure the force, as you described, at the point where you barely lift it and then where it is fully cocked, then subtract the first force from the second one and divide that value by the number of degrees between those two points, that will give you the correct units for the spring factor κ in lbs/degree; and, multiply that by the square of number of degrees you measured between the two load points to get the potential energy U of the trap in its cocked position.
Thank you! This was extremely helpful! However, won't pounds not being an SI unit affect the results? Souldn't I measure it in Newtons (or kilograms)? Same question for using degrees instead of radians.

I should also probably mention that I don't need this to be extremely precise by the way! :) We haven't really learned a lot about energy in school yet, so sorry if I seem extremely stupid haha.

Sorry about the units confusion, I am one of those USA people who has used imperial units all my life and still do. You should use the equivalent SI unit for force.

And for degrees as well

Eirik said:
Thank you! This was extremely helpful! However, won't pounds not being an SI unit affect the results? Souldn't I measure it in Newtons (or kilograms)? Same question for using degrees instead of radians.

I should also probably mention that I don't need this to be extremely precise by the way! :) We haven't really learned a lot about energy in school yet, so sorry if I seem extremely stupid haha.

Good point about the units. And looking back at your formulas, the spring constant (small kappa) for rotational spring has the dimension of Energy / angle, rather than force/angle as I originally thought.

Related to Potential energy in a mouse trap

What is potential energy in a mouse trap?

Potential energy in a mouse trap refers to the energy that is stored in the trap when it is set and ready to be triggered. This energy is typically in the form of tension or compression in the trap's spring.

How is potential energy stored in a mouse trap?

Potential energy in a mouse trap is stored through the mechanical work done in setting the trap. As the spring is compressed, potential energy is stored in the form of elastic potential energy. When the trap is triggered, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the trap to snap shut.

What factors affect the potential energy in a mouse trap?

There are several factors that can affect the potential energy in a mouse trap. These include the type and strength of the spring, the distance the spring is compressed, and the weight of the trigger mechanism.

How does potential energy in a mouse trap relate to its effectiveness?

Potential energy in a mouse trap is directly related to its effectiveness. The more potential energy that is stored in the trap, the faster and more forcefully it will snap shut when triggered. This can increase the likelihood of catching a mouse or other small animal.

Can potential energy in a mouse trap be changed or increased?

Yes, potential energy in a mouse trap can be changed or increased by adjusting the tension in the spring. This can be done by either using a stronger spring or compressing the spring further. However, it is important to note that increasing the potential energy in a mouse trap can also make it more dangerous and should be done with caution.