Electric Field from Long Hollow Cylinder

In summary, using Gauss's Law, it can be shown that the electric field inside a hollow cylinder is zero. Additionally, the field outside is the same as if the charge were all on the axis. However, this is not necessarily true for a pipe of square cross section with a uniform surface charge density. To solve this problem, one must understand the definition of Q in Gauss's Law and use suitable Gaussian surfaces to evaluate the integral easily.
FS98

Homework Statement

Consider the hollow cylinder from Exercise 1.59. Use Gauss’s law to show that the field inside the pipe is zero. Also show that the field outside is the same as if the charge were all on the axis. Is either statement true for a pipe of square cross section on which the charge is distributed with uniform surface density?

The cylinder is long.

Homework Equations

292a4114ec9c495a97f151c19fbcf4cf3f533194

9810529d253a8cc85469e17185424ea235655087
25px-OiintLaTeX.svg.png
3b570ea85ff659c8b20a3b538b0000c21c530162
6725e7a0cdea9f4dd1d9cd9ccf6df16e23164ba2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have no idea how to do this problem. Can somebody walk me through it? I’m assuming I have to use the second equation here, but I’m not quite sure what some of it means or how to apply it.

Attachments

• 25px-OiintLaTeX.svg.png
    25px-OiintLaTeX.svg.png
    522 bytes · Views: 1,050
Physics news on Phys.org
If you take a moment to reflect on what exactly Gauss' Law says, and in particular what Q is defined to be, then you should be able to make a good attempt at solution, if not solve the problem entirely.

Likes FS98
gneill said:
If you take a moment to reflect on what exactly Gauss' Law says, and in particular what Q is defined to be, then you should be able to make a good attempt at solution, if not solve the problem entirely.

Can I get phi by multiplying the volume of the cylinder by ρ then dividing by e0 to get pi(r^2)(h)(ρ)/e0?

Then do I plug that into the other formula? If so how? I don’t know what the double integral is and I’m unsure what to do with the da. Is that a dot product or is the da just letting you know what to integrate with respect to?

Last edited:
The double integral represents a surface integral, that is, over the Gaussian Surface. As such it's an integration over an area, hence the dA represents a differential "patch" of that surface area.

Take a look at the following PDF to review: http://bolvan.ph.utexas.edu/~vadim/classes/15s/GaussLaw.pdf
In one section it considers a hollow cylinder.

You need to choose suitable Gaussian surfaces (presumably taking advantage of the symmetry inherent in the scenario) that will allow you to evaluate the integral easily (essentially by inspection).

Related to Electric Field from Long Hollow Cylinder

1. What is an electric field from a long hollow cylinder?

The electric field from a long hollow cylinder is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric force experienced by a charge placed at any point in the space surrounding the cylinder. It is created by the distribution of electric charges on the surface of the cylinder.

2. How is the electric field calculated from a long hollow cylinder?

The electric field from a long hollow cylinder can be calculated using the equation E = λ/2πεr, where λ is the linear charge density of the cylinder, ε is the permittivity of the surrounding medium, and r is the distance from the cylinder's axis.

3. What is the direction of the electric field from a long hollow cylinder?

The electric field from a long hollow cylinder is directed radially outward from the cylinder's axis. This means that the electric field lines are perpendicular to the surface of the cylinder at every point.

4. How does the electric field from a long hollow cylinder differ from that of a solid cylinder?

The electric field from a long hollow cylinder and a solid cylinder are similar in that they both have a radial direction. However, in a long hollow cylinder, the electric field is zero inside the cylinder and increases as the distance from the axis increases, while in a solid cylinder, the electric field is constant throughout the cylinder.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electric field from a long hollow cylinder?

The electric field from a long hollow cylinder is used in various devices and technologies, such as in capacitors, particle accelerators, and in some medical imaging techniques. It is also used in the study of electromagnetism and the behavior of electric fields in different scenarios.