Understanding 3D Doppler Shift with Satellites

In summary, to calculate the Doppler shift between two satellites orbiting the Earth at different velocities and altitudes, one must first work out the velocity of one satellite with respect to the other. Then, the Doppler factor can be calculated from the speed and multiplied by the gravitational redshift factor. It is important to also consider the relative angle between the velocity and displacement vectors to accurately account for the Doppler effect.
Alia_3
TL;DR Summary
Two satellite circling the earth with different velocities
I am trying to understand a case of doppler shift if I have two satellite circling the earth with different velocities but the same direction and with different altitudes as well. How I will be able to figure out the doppler shift in three dimension between the two satellite if one of the satellites is sending a signal to the other.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Work out the velocity of one satellite with respect to the other, calculate the Doppler factor from the speed velocity (edit: corrected, with thanks to Orodruin) and multiply by the gravitational redshift factor.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
If you provide more detail about what you know already, it might be easier to provide more helpful answers

Ibix said:
Work out the velocity of one satellite with respect to the other, calculate the Doppler factor from the speed, and multiply by the gravitational redshift factor.
It is not sufficient to know the relative speed. The Doppler factor also depends on the relative angle between the velocity vector and displacement vector. For example, the transversal Doppler effect is just a gamma factor.

Likes vanhees71
I was going to say "yes, that's why I wrote velocity" but I see I didn't the second time. Will correct that.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the 3D Doppler Shift?

The 3D Doppler Shift is a phenomenon that occurs when the frequency of a wave changes due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. It is commonly observed in sound waves, but can also occur in light waves.

2. How does the 3D Doppler Shift work with satellites?

Satellites use the 3D Doppler Shift to accurately measure the speed and direction of their movement in space. By measuring the change in frequency of the signals transmitted by the satellite, ground stations can determine the satellite's speed and direction with great precision.

3. What are the applications of understanding 3D Doppler Shift with satellites?

Understanding the 3D Doppler Shift with satellites has many practical applications, including tracking the movement of satellites, monitoring weather patterns, and studying the Earth's gravitational field. It is also used in navigation systems, such as GPS, to determine the position of objects on Earth.

4. How is the 3D Doppler Shift affected by the distance between the satellite and the observer?

The 3D Doppler Shift is directly proportional to the distance between the satellite and the observer. This means that the farther away the satellite is, the larger the change in frequency will be. This is why satellites in geostationary orbit, which are farther away from Earth, have a larger Doppler Shift compared to satellites in low Earth orbit.

5. Can the 3D Doppler Shift be used to measure the speed of objects on Earth?

Yes, the 3D Doppler Shift can be used to measure the speed of objects on Earth. This is commonly seen in police radar guns, which use the Doppler Shift to measure the speed of moving vehicles. However, the accuracy of this method can be affected by factors such as the angle of the object's movement and the presence of other objects in the surrounding environment.