Undergraduate research in computer science

In summary, the conversation discusses the interest of an undergraduate student in conducting research in discrete mathematics or theoretical computer science. The individual asks for suggestions on interesting research topics and open problems, and is advised to seek guidance from experienced professors and start with smaller projects. The conversation also mentions the importance of attending seminars and talking to professors about their own research.
NJOsment
I'm an undergraduate student studying computer science.I am interested in doing some research in discrete mathematics or theoretical computer science.Can anyone tell some interesting research topics or open problems on which i can work on?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is this blog of a theoretical computer scientist, http://weblog.fortnow.com/, which has some interesting information and also links to other resources in theoretical computer science.

P vs. NP.

Barring that, ask a professor! There's plenty of things that a reasonably bright undergraduate can solve but you're going to want someone with experience and a big-picture knowledge of the field to guide you, and you won't find that online.

Start small.
ask around your dept. if anyone has projects they could use some help with, whatever help that may be. From there you can work your way up
Don't expect to delve right into solving open problems.
As Will said, find an adviser, make friends with one of your professors and see if they could use your help on their research.

You may also consider attending some seminar devoted to the subject, and even prepare a talk! For example I, despite being only 2nd year, attended a seminar about Logic and Computation Theory aimed at people doing their M.Sc. and was even allowed to make a talk about tree automata. If there are research seminars or something like that available, talk to the professors and ask if they will let you attend. Another good idea is to visit a prof during his office hours and simply ask him about his own reasearch.

Related to Undergraduate research in computer science

1. What is undergraduate research in computer science?

Undergraduate research in computer science involves conducting original research on a specific topic or problem within the field of computer science. This research is typically conducted by undergraduate students, under the guidance of a faculty member or mentor.

2. Why is undergraduate research important in computer science?

Undergraduate research allows students to gain hands-on experience in the field of computer science, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the field. It also provides opportunities for students to network with professionals and explore potential career paths.

3. How can I get involved in undergraduate research in computer science?

There are several ways to get involved in undergraduate research in computer science. You can reach out to faculty members or research labs at your university to inquire about opportunities, join a research group or club, or participate in research programs or internships.

4. What are the benefits of participating in undergraduate research in computer science?

Participating in undergraduate research in computer science can have numerous benefits, including enhancing your resume and graduate school applications, developing valuable skills and knowledge, building relationships with faculty and professionals in the field, and potentially being published in academic journals.

5. What type of projects can I work on during undergraduate research in computer science?

The projects you can work on during undergraduate research in computer science vary depending on your interests and the research opportunities available. Some common areas of research in computer science include artificial intelligence, human-computer interaction, data science, and software engineering. You can also work on projects related to specific applications of computer science, such as healthcare, finance, or education.