Undergraduate programs in Europe (physics)

In summary, You might struggle to find somewhere taught in English in continental Europe, since I think the majority of undergraduate degrees are taught in the national language. The fees in England are high, but if you avoid certain places the living costs can be very cheap compared to some continental cities. If you want to study physics in England, you may struggle to find a program that is taught in English. The fees are high, but the living costs can be very cheap. Some universities in England, such as Glasgow and Strathclyde, are cheaper than others. You may be able to take a year out in the UK to save money. It may be better to aim for a Master's degree if you
Sirium
Hi guys, i hope I'm noth bothering you.
I was wondering if you can suggest me some good undergraduate course in physics in Europe. Something taught in English and not too expensive (lowest possible fees and living cost). I know i ask too much but I'd like to do my undergraduate deegre in Europe (in English) and the problem is i don't have much money. The biggest possible money (without schoolarship) i could get is about 700 euros a mounth. I searched whole internet and i couldn't find anything so please sugest me something.
Ps. I'm from Croatia.
Thank you very much!

Likes brady maxwell
Physics news on Phys.org
You might struggle to find somewhere taught in English in continental Europe, since I think the majority of undergraduate degrees are taught in the national language. The fees in England are high, but if you avoid certain places the living costs can be very cheap compared to some continental cities.

I must admit that I don't know off the top of my head how much Scottish and Irish universities charge for EU students, but you may find the fees are cheaper than England. I would suggest maybe looking at Glasgow or Strathclyde, which are both Scottish (in Glasgow), and I would imagine you can get cheap housing in Glasgow.

May I ask why you want an undergrad degree taught in English? It may make more sense (financially at least) to take your degree in Croatian (I assume you get loans if you study in Croatia) and learn English on the side, then apply to an English speaking graduate programme.

Well I think the problem with UK is that he is not in fact an EU citizen. And I really don't know of any other places that offer undergraduate degrees taught in English, other than perhaps Malta, but that's probably not what you're looking for. Maybe some big-name continental universities offer them, though, so I'm actually interested in hearing the answer to that question, too.

Oh, and Sirium, if you don't want to study in Croatia, there's always Ljubljana :wink:

Last edited:
Ty all for your respones.
To answer your questions:
Studying in Croatia is of course an option, but the best university program in Croatia is not 3+2, so I'd have to finish all 5 years here (you don't get bachelor degre after 3 years, you only get master degre after 5).
I also considered Ljubljana and I'd like to hear your oppinion about it.

Stay away from Ireland. The cost of living is going way up and so are college fees.
Although to be honest Trinity College Dublin does have quite a good physics course.

Sirium said:
Ty all for your respones.
To answer your questions:
Studying in Croatia is of course an option, but the best university program in Croatia is not 3+2, so I'd have to finish all 5 years here (you don't get bachelor degre after 3 years, you only get master degre after 5).

What's wrong with that? So many people get a BSc these days that it's surely better to aim for the MSc, if you want a good job. Does the Croatian MSc provide you with sufficient research training to do a PhD in the UK? That is, is it up to the standards of something like:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/physics/admissions/pg/msc/mscphysics

Do you have the option of taking a year out in the UK within those five years? I know German physics students who have done that...

Maybe, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sirium said:
I also considered Ljubljana and I'd like to hear your oppinion about it.
I can't say much about the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, apart from that I'm pretty sure you can get involved in undergrad research at the http://www.ijs.si/" . I also think you've got all of your options open as far as postgrad studies are concerned if you do your undergrad there (ie. attending it in and of itself won't bar you from studying at any university), as the university is making its way up the rankings, and I think it's more about the rankings following the quality of education there rather than the opposite. It's not a prestigious or elite university by any means, but if you're worried about studying in Croatia, and can't afford the UK, then the University of Ljubljana would be a good alternative (best buy if you will). Living costs shouldn't be much higher than in Zagreb, and I assume the language wouldn't present additional barriers, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Langauge is going to be a barreir, but i can solve it in a year.
Ty for your reply, and I'd like to hear a comparation betwen Zagreb and Ljubljana

A comparison in terms of what? Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the university in Zagreb, and as far as towns are concerned, I've only been to Zagreb twice. Ljubljana is a lively city, there's lots going on and the city centre is really nice. But seeing as it is smaller than Zagreb, the latter might offer more, and I know a couple of people that moved there because they loved it so much. So I guess if you're new to both Zagreb and Ljubljana, the former might have more variety and opportunities, but, again, you won't be bored and there's not going to be lack of events anywhere you'll go. But if you live in Zagreb, maybe you'll want a change of scenery, plus studying in the EU might open more doors than studying outside of Croatia would close.

I tought comparation of universities. Atm i live in Split. Ty for your responses. I'll check my other options and then i'll decide.

You may want to have a look at:

http://www.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/international-programmes/07535.en.html?iplevel=1&ipterm=&ipfield=04&ipsubject=360&iptypehei=&iptownhei=&iphei=&iplangdistribution=&iptuitionfees=&ipduration=&ipenter.x=131&ipenter.y=7

Those listed in that page are either totally in English or partially in English, if its partial then the offering school often have intensive German courses during the first year where the lectures are held in English.
Jacobs's university (its a private school) programme is completely in English, but do consider that the university is relatively small and very expensive unless you have a scholarship or they offer you one.

If you don't mind spending a year leaning German, then you would have access to some very well known universities across Germany, Austria & Switzerland.

In Germany, depending on where you live,, you need roughly 600eur a month as expenses (assuming 300eur a month for rent in a big city, smaller places cost less, and even in big cities you can find cheap places but you have to look well). You can also work part time if you like, the pay is reasonable.

Ty for that list but that is irresonably expensive...

Following Physiker_192's line, I would suggest you to check the programs offered in Germany, and if you are looking for a 'cheap' place, maybe you are interested in the eastern part of Germany better (like Leipzig: http://www.uni-leipzig.de/~intphys/ ). However, if you can get about 700 euros/month, I don't think you should have any problem with the list above.

You may want to consider xGame-Overx's suggestion about the UK too. Also, note that UK universities are probably the ones who offer more funding to undergraduates (even though it may be really hard to get scholarships).

Ty for that info! Sounds great. I'll consider it :D

Sirium said:
Ty for that list but that is irresonably expensive...

yeah, Jacobs is indeed expensive.

The others, FH Aachen & uni. of oldenburg are reasonable and cost 1000eur/year. The nice thing about those courses that are only in English during the first year, is that the German language courses are free !,,, if you were to pay for those then they can be really expensive, so what you can do is enroll, spend the first year there and learn German then transfer to another university.

BTW, the name of the degrees is something like Physical Engineering or so,, it looks to me like Technical/Engineering/Applied physics degrees.

Related to Undergraduate programs in Europe (physics)

1. What are the top universities in Europe for undergraduate programs in physics?

Some of the top universities in Europe for undergraduate programs in physics include ETH Zurich (Switzerland), University of Cambridge (United Kingdom), Technical University of Munich (Germany), and École Polytechnique (France). However, the top universities may vary depending on different rankings and individual preferences.

2. Are undergraduate programs in Europe taught in English?

Yes, many universities in Europe offer undergraduate programs in physics that are taught in English. This is especially common in countries like the Netherlands, Germany, and Switzerland.

3. What is the duration of an undergraduate program in Europe?

The duration of an undergraduate program in Europe can vary from 3 to 4 years. In some countries, such as the UK and Ireland, undergraduate programs may also offer the option to take a year-long placement or study abroad, which can extend the program to 4 years.

4. Are there any scholarships available for international students studying undergraduate programs in Europe?

Yes, there are scholarships available for international students studying undergraduate programs in Europe. Some scholarships are offered by individual universities, while others are offered by external organizations or government agencies. It is important to research and apply for scholarships early in the application process.

5. Can I transfer credits from my undergraduate program in Europe to a university in the US or Canada?

It is possible to transfer credits from an undergraduate program in Europe to a university in the US or Canada, but it ultimately depends on the policies of the specific universities. It is important to research and confirm transfer credit policies before enrolling in a program.