Uncertainty -- particle through single slit

In summary, the problem is asking to find the minimum range of angles for particles passing through a single slit of width 0.17 mm with a de Broglie wavelength of 561 nm using the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. Two methods were attempted, one using the normal diffraction formula and the other using the uncertainty relation. Both methods yielded the same result of 0.0033 rad or 0.0066 rad for the entire range. However, the homework software is rejecting both answers and it is suggested to take the uncertainty of the order of h rather than the minimum of h/4π for the product.
limper

Homework Statement

Some particles pass through a single slit of width W = 0.17 mm. After the particles pass through the slit they spread out over a range of angles. The de Broglie wavelength of each particle is λ = 561 nm. Use the Heisenberg uncertainty principle to determine the minimum range of angles.

θ = (the diagram shows theta as the entire area between the first two minima, not just from the center to one side)

Homework Equations

It seems like this would just be normal diffraction with sin()=λ/d.

The problem asks for it to be done via the uncertainty principle so:
ΔyΔpy>=h/4π
Δpy=psin()
p=h/λ

The Attempt at a Solution

sin()=λ/d yields (561*10^-9)/(.17*10^-3)=.0033 rad, or .0066 rad for the entire range.

The other method gives the same result if you use just h, without the 1/4π, for the uncertainty equation. Is there a reason for that? I know h/4π is the lower bound, is there something inherent to the problem that limits it to h?

otherwise:
ΔyΔpy>=h/4π
Δpy>=h/(4πΔy)
Δpy>=3.1*10^-31

p=h/λ
p=(6.626*10^-34)/(561*10^-9)
p=1.2*10^-27

sin()=Δpy/p
sin()=(3.1*10^-31)/(1.2*10^-27)
=2.6*10^-4 rad or 5.2*10^-4 rad for the entire range

This seems to make sense to me, but the homework software is rejecting both answers. I've tried it with answers past the significant digits and no dice, so I'm wondering if I've misunderstood something or made a silly mistake somewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
limper said:
sin()=λ/d yields (561*10^-9)/(.17*10^-3)=.0033 rad, or .0066 rad for the entire range.

The other method gives the same result if you use just h, without the 1/4π,

i do not know /can not guess about the software you are using but the angular spread comes out to be wavelength /slit width using uncertainty relation.
i think the uncertainty be taken of the order of h rather than minimum of the product h/4pi. as the wave packet is not being defined for exact measurement of the product.

Related to Uncertainty -- particle through single slit

1. What is the concept of uncertainty in particles passing through a single slit?

The concept of uncertainty in particles passing through a single slit refers to the inherent unpredictability of a particle's position and momentum when it is observed or measured. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level, where their exact location and momentum cannot be simultaneously known with absolute certainty.

2. How is uncertainty related to the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. It involves firing particles, such as electrons, through two parallel slits onto a screen and observing the resulting interference pattern. The uncertainty in the particles' position and momentum is a key factor in producing this interference pattern.

3. Can the uncertainty principle be applied to macroscopic objects?

No, the uncertainty principle only applies to particles at the quantum level. Macroscopic objects, such as a baseball or a car, behave according to classical physics and do not exhibit the same wave-like properties as particles at the quantum level.

4. How does the width of a single slit affect the uncertainty of a particle passing through it?

The width of a single slit is directly related to the uncertainty of a particle passing through it. A narrower slit will result in a larger uncertainty in the particle's position and momentum, while a wider slit will result in a smaller uncertainty. This is due to the fact that a narrower slit forces the particle to pass through a smaller space, increasing the likelihood of it being detected in a specific location.

5. How does measuring the position of a particle affect its momentum?

According to the uncertainty principle, the act of measuring the position of a particle will inevitably affect its momentum. This is because the act of measurement requires interacting with the particle, which can alter its momentum. The more precisely we measure the position, the greater the uncertainty in the particle's momentum becomes.