Single Slit / Wavelength / Central Maximum

In summary: And so on, until for the central maximum all rays contribute constructively. For the single slit diffraction pattern you can do the same thing. But instead of discrete point sources you need to look at the wavefronts of the slit opening. The wavefronts are half circles. So in the drawing below, the wave from the lower end of the slit has to travel a distance $d \sin\theta$ further than the wave from the upper end of the slit to get to the same position at the screen. That means that the phase difference between the two is $\lambda/2$. So you get the same sine equation, but now for the single slit diffraction pattern. In summary, In summary, when a laser
julianwitkowski

Homework Statement

A laser emitting light with a wavelength of 560 nm is directed at a single slit, producing an interference pattern on a screen that is 3.0 m away. The central maximum is 5.0 cm wide. Determine the width of the slit.

I have two ideas of the answer but I'm not sure which is right... Please help me understand which one and why.

Homework Equations

[/B]
d = λ / sin(Θ)
tan(Θ) = x / L

or...

w = λL / y

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Attempt #1

d = slit width
λ = wavelength (560nm = 5.6· 10⁻⁷m)
Θ = angle

If the central maximum is 5.0cm wide, then is the distance from the center to the first minimum always half of that or 2.5cm?

tan(Θ) = 0.025m / 3m
Θ = tan⁻¹ (0.025m / 3m) = 0.477°
d · sin(Θ) = λ

d = λ / sin(Θ) = 560nm /sin(0.477°) = 5.6· 10⁻⁷m / sin(0.477°) = 6.72 · 10⁻⁵ m = 67200 nm

Attempt #2

d = slit width
L = distance to screen.
y = central maximum.

w = λL / y = 5.6 ·10⁻⁷m · 3m / 0.05m = 3.36 · 10⁻⁵ m = 33600nm

Physics news on Phys.org
julianwitkowski said:

Homework Statement

A laser emitting light with a wavelength of 560 nm is directed at a single slit, producing an interference pattern on a screen that is 3.0 m away. The central maximum is 5.0 cm wide. Determine the width of the slit.

I have two ideas of the answer but I'm not sure which is right... Please help me understand which one and why.

Homework Equations

[/B]
d = λ / sin(Θ)
tan(Θ) = x / L

or...

w = λL / y

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Attempt #1
d = slit width
Θ = angle
If the central maximum is 5.0cm wide, then is the distance from the center to the first minimum always half of that or 2.5cm?
Yes. the pattern is symmetrical about θ. sinθ is an odd function. So is tanθ.
tan(Θ) = 0.025m / 3m
Θ = tan⁻¹ (0.025m / 3m) = 0.477°
d · sin(Θ) = λ
d = λ / sin(Θ) = 560nm /sin(0.477°) = 5.6· 10⁻⁷m / sin(0.477°) = 6.72 · 10⁻⁵ m = 67200 nm
Stop right there!
Attempt #2
d = slit width
L = distance to screen.
y = central maximum.
w = λL / y = 5.6 ·10⁻⁷m · 3m / 0.05m = 3.36 · 10⁻⁵ m = 33600nm
Not sure what your y is. Is it the total width of the central maximum? If so the formula is incorrect.
Your 1st formula derivation is not trivial so you should just accept it unless you're afraid you'll have to derive it in a test someday.

Likes julianwitkowski
rude man said:
Stop right there!

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to cut the central maximum in half or not.
Thank you for your time, this has helped me :)

Hello Julian,

As Rudy indicates, the formal derivation of the single slit diffraction pattern isn't trivial. And personally I don't like the little arrows addition approach (matter of taste, I suppose). Better to study that using Fourier transformation.
Since I think you are a curious person (and also because you ask for understanding in post #1), this is how they taught me before I knew about Fourier transforms:

According to the Huygens principle, all points in the slit opening function as point sources for the emanating wave.

If you divide the opening in two halves , then for rays that go in the direction of the first minimum from the top half (#3 is shown in the drawing), there is a corresponding ray in the lower half with which it interferes destructively (#4 for #3 and then stepping down until the top one is in the center and the corresponding lower one at the lower end of the slit), i.e. a ray that has a phase difference of ##\lambda/2##. So you get ##d/2 \; \sin\theta = \lambda/2\;## for the first minimum.

You can do the same thing for subdividing in four quarters to get ##d/4 \; \sin\theta = \lambda/2 \; ## for the second minimum.

In between is a (relative) maximum, because if you divide in three parts, two of those will interfere destructively and that leaves the contribution of the remaining third

Likes julianwitkowski

Related to Single Slit / Wavelength / Central Maximum

What is the single slit experiment?

The single slit experiment is a classic optics experiment used to demonstrate the wave nature of light. It involves a single narrow slit being illuminated by a laser or other light source, and the resulting pattern of light and dark bands that are produced on a screen behind the slit.

What is the relationship between wavelength and the central maximum?

The central maximum is the brightest and widest band of light in the single slit experiment. The relationship between wavelength and the central maximum is that the width of the central maximum is directly proportional to the wavelength of the light being used. This means that as the wavelength increases, the central maximum becomes wider.

How does the width of the slit affect the central maximum?

The width of the slit directly affects the width of the central maximum. A wider slit will produce a narrower central maximum, while a narrower slit will produce a wider central maximum. This is because the narrower the slit, the more diffraction occurs, resulting in a wider central maximum.

What is diffraction and how does it relate to the single slit experiment?

Diffraction is the bending and spreading of waves as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle. In the single slit experiment, diffraction occurs as the light waves pass through the narrow slit and spread out, creating the pattern of light and dark bands on the screen.

Why is the central maximum always the brightest band in the single slit experiment?

The central maximum is always the brightest band because it is where the waves from all parts of the slit arrive in phase, meaning they are all at the same point in their cycle. This results in constructive interference, where the waves amplify each other and create a bright band of light.