Double-slit experiment: What is the speed of the neutrons?

In summary, an experiment was performed using neutrons shot through two slits spaced 0.10 mm apart and detected 3.5 m behind the slits. The detector output showed a spacing between maxima of 100*10^-6 m. To find the speed of the neutrons, the equations Δy = λL/d (spacing between maxima) and λ = h/mv (de Broglie λ) were used, where m=1.67*10^-27 Kg. After correcting a small error, the speed of the neutrons was found to be 2.1*10^2 m/s.
kamhogo

Homework Statement

An experiment was performed in which neutrons were shot through two slits spaced 0.10 mm apart and detected 3.5 m behind the slits. The following figure shows the detector output. Notice the 100 μm scale on the figure. To two significant figures, what was the speed of the neutrons?
38_49.jpg

Homework Equations

Δy = λL/d (spacing between maxima)
λ = h/mv (de Broglie λ)
m= 1.67*10^-27 Kg

The Attempt at a Solution

The spacing between the maxima appears to be 100*10^-6 m in the figure, so:
(Δy*d)/L = λ = ((100*10^-6 m)*(0.1*10^-3 m))/3.5 m = 2.85714*10^-9 m = de Broglie λ

v = h/(mλ) = (6.626*10^-34 J.s)/((1.67*10^-27 Kg)*(2.85714*10^-9 m) = 138.9 m/s

This answer is incorrect. Can someone please give me a hint as to what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
kamhogo said:
spacing between the maxima appears to be 100*10^-6 m in the figure
Could you check that once more for me ?

(oh, and 138.9 is not what I would call 'to two significant figures' ! )

BvU said:
Could you check that once more for me ?

(oh, and 138.9 is not what I would call 'to two significant figures' ! )

Hum, on second look it looks more like (2/3)(100*10^-6m).

Which gives Vneutron = 2.1*10^2 m/s; which is the correct answer! Thanks a lot!

well done!

Related to Double-slit experiment: What is the speed of the neutrons?

1. What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. It involves passing a beam of particles, such as electrons or photons, through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How does the double-slit experiment work?

In the double-slit experiment, a beam of particles is directed towards two parallel slits in a barrier. On the other side of the barrier, a screen is placed to record the pattern of particles that pass through the slits. When the particles pass through the slits, they interfere with each other, creating an interference pattern on the screen. This pattern is characteristic of waves and demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles.

3. How does the speed of neutrons affect the double-slit experiment?

The speed of neutrons does not have a significant impact on the results of the double-slit experiment. The experiment is typically conducted with particles of similar speeds, so the interference pattern remains the same regardless of the speed of the particles.

4. Is the speed of neutrons constant in the double-slit experiment?

No, the speed of neutrons may vary in the double-slit experiment depending on the conditions in which the experiment is conducted. However, this variation does not affect the overall results of the experiment.

5. Can the double-slit experiment be used to measure the speed of neutrons?

No, the double-slit experiment is not designed to measure the speed of neutrons. The experiment is used to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of matter, not to measure the speed of particles. Other experiments, such as time-of-flight measurements, are typically used to determine the speed of neutrons.