U Chicago, Cornell or UIUC for experimental condensed matter physics?

In summary, the individual is deciding between three top institutions - UIUC, Cornell, and U Chicago - for their graduate studies in CME. They have received research fellowships from two of the schools and are still waiting for financial details from the third. They plan to visit UC and Cornell during spring break, but location is not a major factor in their decision. They are seeking opinions on the three places and considering factors such as the strength of their condensed matter programs and the professors they would work with. Ultimately, they believe any of these institutions would be a good choice and are open to personal preferences.
Isaiah Gray
Hello,

Grad school admissions are about over, and it looks like I will be choosing between UIUC, Cornell, or U Chicago for CME. I have research fellowships from Cornell and U Chicago, still waiting for financial details from UIUC. I'll visit UC and Cornell over spring break, but location isn't too important (big city vs farmlands).

Does anyone have an opinion on these three places? I think they're all good in condensed matter but how else would you pick?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isaiah Gray said:
Does anyone have an opinion on these three places? I think they're all good in condensed matter but how else would you pick?
Your personal preference of where you want to live for more than half a decade and who and what you want to work by looking at professor bios and sending emails to see how many students they will take in.

Isaiah Gray said:
Hello,

Grad school admissions are about over, and it looks like I will be choosing between UIUC, Cornell, or U Chicago for CME. I have research fellowships from Cornell and U Chicago, still waiting for financial details from UIUC. I'll visit UC and Cornell over spring break, but location isn't too important (big city vs farmlands).

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of those institutions. They are top-notch in condensed matter, with UIUC and Cornell may be a nose ahead of UC on my personal preference. Whatever you will choose, you should have no regrets here.

Zz.

Related to U Chicago, Cornell or UIUC for experimental condensed matter physics?

1. What are the research specialties in experimental condensed matter physics at U Chicago, Cornell, and UIUC?

At U Chicago, the research specialties in experimental condensed matter physics include quantum materials, complex systems, and nanoscience. Cornell's research specialties include strongly correlated systems, topological phases of matter, and materials for energy applications. UIUC's research specialties include superconductivity, nanophysics, and low-dimensional systems.

2. What opportunities are available for undergraduate students to participate in research in experimental condensed matter physics at these universities?

All three universities offer opportunities for undergraduate students to participate in research in experimental condensed matter physics. U Chicago has a Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship program, Cornell has the Research Experience for Undergraduates program, and UIUC has the Illinois Scholars Undergraduate Research (ISUR) program.

3. How do these universities support graduate students in experimental condensed matter physics?

All three universities have strong graduate programs in experimental condensed matter physics and offer funding opportunities, such as fellowships and teaching assistantships, to support graduate students. They also have state-of-the-art research facilities and resources for graduate students to conduct their research.

4. Are there any notable faculty members in experimental condensed matter physics at U Chicago, Cornell, and UIUC?

Yes, all three universities have notable faculty members in experimental condensed matter physics. U Chicago's faculty includes Nobel laureate James Cronin, Cornell's faculty includes Nobel laureate Robert Richardson, and UIUC's faculty includes MacArthur Fellow Nadya Mason.

5. Can you provide examples of recent groundbreaking research in experimental condensed matter physics at these universities?

At U Chicago, researchers have developed a new method for controlling the properties of quantum materials, which could lead to advances in quantum computing. At Cornell, researchers have discovered a new type of superconductor that could have potential applications in energy storage. At UIUC, researchers have created a new type of graphene-based quantum dot that could be used in next-generation electronics.