Graduate schools for Condensed Matter Physics

In summary, if you have good grades, research experience, and good recommendation letters, you have a reasonable chance of getting into a good program. However, you may not want to narrow your list down to just a few programs because the level of competition can be overwhelming.
dipole
Hi, I am planning on applying to graduate school for condensed matter physics. I'm not entirely sure how I should narrow down my choices though.

I have a good GPA, three summers of research experience in different areas (though no publications as of yet, but hoping to have one possibly before the end of the year) and I believe I can get good recommendation letters from Professors.

SO I think I have at least a *reasonable* chance of getting into a decent program, but how does one know which programs are good or not? One idea I had was to just apply at schools where I see authors of good or influential papers in the field are located, but I'm not sure how smart that is.

Is there rankings based on specific sub-fields that in *your* opinion are reliable? Maybe there exists websites where grad students can pitch or warn against their school of choice?

Any tips appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is always a tough decision to make. Looking at authors of papers is a good way to decide, but unless you're an exception to the rule, you probably won't have enough background in the field to really know which papers really interest you when you're deciding on grad school. There are rankings, e.g. US News, but I don't put very much stock in them. I find that they're more a ranking of the program's reputation rather than the actual program, and they tell you more about how impressed people will be by your degree than the education you'll receive.

My advice would be to NOT narrow down your list (lol). Just apply to a ton of schools. 10 is pretty much a lower limit. Grad school apps aren't that tough to churn out, so why not? Then once you see where you've been accepted, your list will be automatically narrowed. Then you can look into each department more in-depth and you can visit/call individual professors and they'll be much more willing to talk to you once you've been admitted.

Maybe you have SUPER good grades and you'll get accepted to Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Princeton, Berzerkeley, and the handfull of other top-notch schools. They are all stellar so you'd be happy anywhere. Just look at them individually: the faculty, the program, where you'd be living, etc. But most of us don't get that privilege.

Thanks for the advice, I like your idea of applying to a lot and letting the graduate committee take a lot of the decision out of my hands. I don't know if that's feasible or not though if most schools require an expensive application fee.

I don't think I'll bother applying to a top 5 program, not because I don't think I can get in but because I just don't think I want to deal with the hyper-competitive atmosphere and the enormous pressure those places put on their students. I want to go to a good school, but not someplace I'm expected to work 80 hours a week just to survive.

Related to Graduate schools for Condensed Matter Physics

1. What is Condensed Matter Physics?

Condensed Matter Physics is a branch of physics that studies the physical properties of condensed phases of matter, such as solids and liquids. It explores the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other particles in these phases, and how they interact with each other.

2. What are some common research topics in Graduate schools for Condensed Matter Physics?

Some common research topics in Graduate schools for Condensed Matter Physics include quantum materials, superconductivity, magnetism, topological phases, and soft matter physics. These topics involve studying the properties and behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level.

3. What are the career opportunities for graduates with a degree in Condensed Matter Physics?

Graduates with a degree in Condensed Matter Physics have a wide range of career opportunities, including working as research scientists in academia, national laboratories, or industry. They can also pursue careers in fields such as materials science, engineering, and technology development.

4. What are some top Graduate schools for Condensed Matter Physics?

Some top Graduate schools for Condensed Matter Physics include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California Berkeley, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, and Cornell University. These schools have renowned faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities.

5. What should I consider when choosing a Graduate school for Condensed Matter Physics?

When choosing a Graduate school for Condensed Matter Physics, it is important to consider the research opportunities available, the faculty expertise, and the resources and facilities for conducting research. It is also important to look at the curriculum, funding opportunities, and the reputation and ranking of the program.