Two Functional Analysis Questions

In summary: As ||R_n - R|| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}, we can choose a large enough n such that ||I + \lambda_n|| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}.Step 8: Combining steps 6 and 7, we get ||R_n - R|| ||I + \lambda_n|| < \frac{\epsilon}{2} \times \frac{\epsilon}{2} = \frac{\epsilon^2}{4}.Step 9: Therefore, for large enough n, we have ||R_n - R|| < \frac{\epsilon^2}{4}. As \epsilon is an arbitrary small positive number, we can conclude that ||R_n - R|| \to 0,
Combinatorics

Homework Statement

1. Given an operator [tex]H[/tex] , and a sequence [tex]\{ H_n \} _{n\geq 1 } [/tex] in an arbitrary Hilbert Space , such that both [tex]H[/tex] and [tex] H_n [/tex] are self-adjoint .

How can I prove that if [tex]||(H_n+i)^{-1} - (H+i) ^ {-1} || \to 0 [/tex] and if [tex]H[/tex] has an isolated eigenvalue [tex]\lambda[/tex] of multiplicity one, then for large enough [tex]n[/tex], [tex]H_n[/tex] also have isolated eigenvalues [tex]\lambda _ n[/tex] of multiplicty one that converge to [tex]\lambda[/tex].

2. Given an operator [tex]H[/tex] , and a sequence [tex]\{ H_n \} _{n\geq 1 } [/tex] in an arbitrary Hilbert Space , such that both [tex]H[/tex] and [tex] H_n [/tex] are self-adjoint and non-negative.

How can I prove that [tex]||(H_n+1)^{-1} - (H+1) ^ {-1} || \to 0 [/tex] is equivalent to
[tex]||(H_n+i)^{-1} - (H+i) ^ {-1} || \to 0 [/tex] ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea about it... I assume it has something to do with the self-adjointness...maybe some estimations on the inner-product...but can't figure out what

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
for any help!

Thank you for your interesting question. I am always happy to help others understand complex concepts and solve challenging problems. Here is my attempt at a solution to your questions:

1. To prove that H_n has isolated eigenvalues \lambda_n of multiplicity one that converge to \lambda, we can use the following steps:

Step 1: First, let us consider the resolvent operator R_n = (H_n + i)^{-1}. As both H_n and H are self-adjoint, their resolvent operators are also self-adjoint. Therefore, we can write R_n = (H_n + i)^{-1} = (H_n - i)^{*} = (H_n^{*} - i)^{-1}.

Step 2: Now, let us consider the difference between the resolvent operators of H and H_n, i.e., ||R_n - R|| = ||(H_n + i)^{-1} - (H + i)^{-1}||.

Step 3: Using the triangle inequality, we can write ||R_n - R|| \leq ||R_n - R + \lambda_n R_n - \lambda_n R|| + ||\lambda_n R_n - \lambda_n R||.

Step 4: Since ||R_n - R|| \to 0, we can choose a large enough n such that ||R_n - R|| < \frac{\epsilon}{2}, where \epsilon is a small positive number.

Step 5: Now, using the fact that H has an isolated eigenvalue \lambda of multiplicity one, we can write ||\lambda_n R_n - \lambda_n R|| < \frac{\epsilon}{2} for large enough n.

Step 6: Combining steps 4 and 5, we get ||R_n - R + \lambda_n R_n - \lambda_n R|| < \frac{\epsilon}{2} + \frac{\epsilon}{2} = \epsilon.

Step 7: Finally, using the fact that R_n and R are self-adjoint, we can write ||R_n - R + \lambda_n R_n - \lambda_n R|| = ||(R_n - R)(I + \lambda_n)|| = ||R_n - R|| ||I + \lambda_n||, where I is the identity operator.

Related to Two Functional Analysis Questions

1. What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and behavior of mathematical functions. It involves the use of abstract concepts and techniques to analyze the structure and behavior of functions in various mathematical contexts.

2. Why is functional analysis important?

Functional analysis is important because it has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It provides a powerful framework for understanding the behavior of complex systems and finding solutions to real-world problems.

3. What are the key concepts in functional analysis?

The key concepts in functional analysis include topological spaces, normed vector spaces, linear operators, and spectral theory. Other important concepts include Hilbert spaces, Banach spaces, and functional calculus.

4. How is functional analysis used in research and development?

Functional analysis is used in research and development to study and solve problems related to optimization, control theory, signal processing, and data analysis. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new mathematical models and algorithms for various applications.

5. How can I learn more about functional analysis?

You can learn more about functional analysis by studying textbooks, attending lectures and seminars, and taking courses in mathematics or related fields. There are also many online resources available, such as video lectures, tutorials, and research papers, that can help you deepen your understanding of this subject.