Turbine Efficiency: Calculating Power & Combined Efficiency

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the turbine efficiency and combined turbine-generator efficiency. The formula for power is mentioned and the process of finding the turbine efficiency is explained. The conversation also delves into finding the electrical power generation and the combined turbine-generator efficiency using the efficiency of the turbine.
TyErd

Homework Statement

I have attached the question. I'm not really sure how to do this one

Homework Equations

power = work done/time

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the turbine efficiency simply the power generation (750kW) divided by the mechanical output (800kW) which is so 750/800 x 100 = 93.75% efficiency?

and then there's the combined turbine generator efficiency. How do you do that?

Attachments

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb.png
    bbbbbbbbbbbbbb.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org

No it's not what you think.

You have been given rate of mass flow, height of water(70m). Calculate gravitational energy being converted (mgh).It gives potential energy converted per second.

so i simply do 1500(9.81)(70) = 1030050 J/s ? then what

Then you know the mechanical power output of turbine.Remember the power from potential energy can only be used by turbine and not by generator.
((800kW)/(1030050))*100
Is efficiency of turbine.

I think answer's coming out to be 77.66% for turbine efficiency if you do the calculations.

ohh I get it, because j/s is watts - power. okay so then what is the electric power generation and the combined turbine-generator efficiency. is it simply (750000/1030050) x 100?

No.Just apply unitary method.
800kW of mechanical output gives 750kW of electrical output.
1W of mechanical output gives (750/800)W. ---equation (1)
(kW get cancelled.You can Multiply 1W to both sides)
We know efficiency of turbine as 77.66%.
This means that when 100W of energy is inputted to turbine 77.66W of energy is it's mechanical output.
Now multiply 77.6 to equation (1). answer is on right hand side-((750/800)*77.6).It comes around 72.81%

Ahh okkay thank you i get it now

Related to Turbine Efficiency: Calculating Power & Combined Efficiency

What is turbine efficiency?

Turbine efficiency is a measure of how well a turbine converts the energy of a working fluid (such as steam or gas) into mechanical energy. It is expressed as a percentage and can range from 0% (totally inefficient) to 100% (perfect efficiency).

How is turbine efficiency calculated?

Turbine efficiency is calculated by dividing the actual power output of the turbine by the theoretical maximum power output. This theoretical maximum is based on the energy of the working fluid entering the turbine and the energy of the fluid leaving the turbine. The difference between these two energies is known as the "available energy" which is what the turbine is able to convert into work.

What factors affect turbine efficiency?

There are several factors that can affect turbine efficiency, including the design of the turbine, the type of working fluid used, the temperature and pressure of the fluid, and the condition of the turbine components. Additionally, the efficiency of a turbine can also be affected by external factors such as weather conditions and maintenance practices.

What is combined efficiency?

Combined efficiency refers to the overall efficiency of a system that includes multiple turbines or other energy conversion devices. It takes into account the efficiencies of each individual component and calculates the overall efficiency of the entire system. This is important in power plants where multiple turbines are often used to generate electricity.

How can turbine efficiency be improved?

Turbine efficiency can be improved through various methods such as optimizing the design of the turbine, using more efficient materials, and implementing regular maintenance and cleaning practices. Additionally, advancements in technology and research can also contribute to improving turbine efficiency over time.