Open Gas Turbine - calculate T2, T3, T4, efficiency

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem with an open gas turbine and the given information includes the mass flow rate (m), specific heat (cp), initial temperature (T1), and constant kL. The air flow is heated by natural gas and the pressure ratio is 10. The exhaust gas is brought to ambient pressure and for simplification, the medium is assumed to be an ideal gas with negligible mass flow of natural gas. The heat capacity of the exhaust gas is equivalent to that of the air and the isentropic exponent is the same for all states. The goal is to calculate the temperatures (T2, T3, T4) and efficiency, but the individual is stuck on the temperature calculations. They know T
Waits
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Hello,

I am trying to solve a problem about an open Gas Turbine. The given information would be:

- An open gas turbine draws in air from the surroundings having the m, cp, T1 and constant kL with the next values:
1656942189944.png
1656942208959.png
- The air flow is heat over natural gas supplied:
1656942331209.png
- The pressure ratio is πœ‹ = 10.
- In the turbine, the exhaust gas is brought to ambient pressure relaxed.
- For simplification it is assumed:
ο‚· Medium is an ideal gas.
ο‚· The mass flow of the supplied natural gas can be neglected
become: π‘šΜ‡ 𝑧𝑒 = π‘šΜ‡ π‘Žπ‘ = π‘šΜ‡ 𝐿𝑒𝑓𝑑
ο‚· The heat capacity of the exhaust gas corresponds to the heat capacity
of the air: 𝑐𝑝,π‘Žπ‘–π‘Ÿ β‰ˆ 𝑐𝑝,π‘Žπ‘π‘”π‘Žπ‘ 
ο‚· The isentropic exponent is the same for all states valid.​

I should calculate T2, T3, T4 and efficiency.

But I am stuck at the temperatures calculation.

- I know T1=20ΒΊ+273=293K.
- I know the relation:
1656942732284.png
With this I can calculate T2=T1*(πœ‹)^(k-1/k)=293K*(10)^(0.4/1.4)=565.783K

- But now, how can I calculate the p1 or p2, the pressures from T1/T2. If I get p1 or p2, then I can calculate through their relationships with πœ‹, the other pressure and go further to p3. I also been given the mair and cp, but not sure how I can relate this to the pressures.

Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Waits said:
Hello,

I am trying to solve a problem about an open Gas Turbine. The given information would be:

- An open gas turbine draws in air from the surroundings having the m, cp, T1 and constant kL with the next values:
- The air flow is heat over natural gas supplied:
- The pressure ratio is πœ‹ = 10.
- In the turbine, the exhaust gas is brought to ambient pressure relaxed.
- For simplification it is assumed:
ο‚· Medium is an ideal gas.
ο‚· The mass flow of the supplied natural gas can be neglected
become: π‘šΜ‡ 𝑧𝑒 = π‘šΜ‡ π‘Žπ‘ = π‘šΜ‡ 𝐿𝑒𝑓𝑑
ο‚· The heat capacity of the exhaust gas corresponds to the heat capacity
of the air: 𝑐𝑝,π‘Žπ‘–π‘Ÿ β‰ˆ 𝑐𝑝,π‘Žπ‘π‘”π‘Žπ‘ 
ο‚· The isentropic exponent is the same for all states valid.​

I should calculate T2, T3, T4 and efficiency.

But I am stuck at the temperatures calculation.

- I know T1=20ΒΊ+273=293K.
- I know the relation:
View attachment 303733 With this I can calculate T2=T1*(πœ‹)^(k-1/k)=293K*(10)^(0.4/1.4)=565.783K

- But now, how can I calculate the p1 or p2, the pressures from T1/T2. If I get p1 or p2, then I can calculate through their relationships with πœ‹, the other pressure and go further to p3. I also been given the mair and cp, but not sure how I can relate this to the pressures.

Thank you very much in advance.
Can you please provide the exact word-for-word statement of this problem?

1. How do I calculate T2, T3, and T4 in an open gas turbine?

In order to calculate T2, T3, and T4 in an open gas turbine, you will need to use the following equations:

T2 = T1 * (P2/P1)^((k-1)/k)

T3 = T2 * (P3/P2)^((k-1)/k)

T4 = T3 * (P4/P3)^((k-1)/k)

Where T1 is the temperature at the inlet, P1 is the pressure at the inlet, P2, P3, and P4 are the pressures at various points in the turbine, and k is the specific heat ratio of the gas.

2. What is the efficiency of an open gas turbine?

The efficiency of an open gas turbine is calculated using the following equation:

Efficiency = (T3 - T2) / (T3 - T4)

Where T2 is the temperature at the inlet and T3 and T4 are the temperatures at various points in the turbine.

3. How does changing the inlet temperature affect T2, T3, T4, and efficiency in an open gas turbine?

Changing the inlet temperature in an open gas turbine will affect T2, T3, T4, and efficiency in the following ways:

- T2 will increase or decrease depending on the direction of the change in inlet temperature.

- T3 will increase or decrease in proportion to the change in inlet temperature.

- T4 will increase or decrease in proportion to the change in inlet temperature.

- Efficiency will increase or decrease depending on the direction of the change in inlet temperature.

4. What is the significance of T2, T3, and T4 in an open gas turbine?

T2, T3, and T4 are important parameters in an open gas turbine because they represent the temperatures at various points in the turbine. These temperatures are used to calculate the efficiency of the turbine and to determine the performance of the turbine.

5. How can I improve the efficiency of an open gas turbine?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of an open gas turbine, including:

- Increasing the inlet temperature

- Increasing the pressure ratio

- Using more efficient turbine blades

- Implementing regenerative cooling techniques

- Improving the combustion process

- Reducing the losses in the turbine