Trying to identify stone material from an archaeological dig

• Thread starter wilhen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    israel
In summary, identifying stone material from an archaeological dig is a complex process that involves analyzing various factors such as color, texture, weight, and composition. It also requires comparing the stone to known geological formations and utilizing specialized tools such as microscopes and spectrometers. Additionally, researchers must consider the context of the dig site and any cultural or historical information that may provide clues to the origin and purpose of the stone. Overall, accurately identifying stone material from an archaeological dig is essential for understanding the past and gaining insights into ancient civilizations.
wilhen
Hi,

my name is Charles. I am a first-year PhD student trying to identify the raw material of a few stone artifacts from an excavation in Israel. As my experience with geology and Earth sciences are limited, I thought I would seek out the expertize of forum members here, if they are willing. I have about 10 objects for which I'm trying to identify the raw material.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Charles. :smile:

I'm not sure which forum here is the best place to put your pictures and questions. Maybe the Earth forum?

Likes wilhen
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, Charles. :smile:

I'm not sure which forum here is the best place to put your pictures and questions. Maybe the Earth forum?
Thanks for the welcome, berkeman. That's where I posted my question.

Likes berkeman