Truth Table, Canonical Sum and Minimizing the Canonical Sum

In summary,The correct answer is x!yz + xy!z! + xyz! which is a sum of products. To minimize it, use distributivity of addition over multiplication: (a + c)(b + c) = ab + c.
shamieh
Also would someone mind checking my work on these problems too? My answers are in BOLD

2a)Draw the truth table corresponding to $f$(X,Y,Z) = \(\displaystyle \pi\)M(2,4,6)

ANSWER:
  • x y z | f
  • 0 0 0| 1
  • 0 0 1| 1
  • 0 1 0| 0
  • 0 1 1| 1
  • 1 0 0| 0
  • 1 0 1| 1
  • 1 1 0| 0
  • 1 1 1| 1

2b) Write out the canonical product of sums (POS) expression for $f$(X,Y,Z) of 2a.

ANSWER:

x!yz + xy!z! + xyz!

2c) Minimize the expression of 2b.

ANSWER:
= x!yz + xy!z! + xyz!
= x(x!yz + y!z! + yz!)
= xy(x!z + y!z! + z!)

Yea okay I'm lost now. Help on this one please?

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Re: Drawing Truth Tables etc. Some clarification please?

shamieh said:
2a)Draw the truth table corresponding to $f$(X,Y,Z) = \(\displaystyle \pi\)M(2,4,6)

ANSWER:
  • x y z | f
  • 0 0 0| 1
  • 0 0 1| 1
  • 0 1 0| 0
  • 0 1 1| 1
  • 1 0 0| 0
  • 1 0 1| 1
  • 1 1 0| 0
  • 1 1 1| 1
Correct.

shamieh said:
2b) Write out the canonical product of sums (POS) expression for $f$(X,Y,Z) of 2a.

ANSWER:

x!yz + xy!z! + xyz!
What you wrote is a sum of products, not a product of sums. Also, see this info about indexing maxterms (i.e., the correspondence between maxterms and binary numbers).

Evgeny.Makarov said:
What you wrote is a sum of products, not a product of sums.

So what is the correct answer then? And what is the answer for minimizing it? Because I can't figure out how to do it...if you don't mind me asking(Wait)

shamieh said:
So what is the correct answer then? And what is the answer for minimizing it? Because I can't figure out how to do it...if you don't mind me asking(Wait)

Nevermind I figured it out. so I got xy!z + x!yz + x!y!z

but how do i Minimize that expression?

shamieh said:
Nevermind I figured it out. so I got xy!z + x!yz + x!y!z
You negated variables correctly this time, but don't you see that this is still a sum of products? Multiplication has a priority of addition, just as in ordinary arithmetic, so in your expression you first multiply x, y, !z and the other two triples and then you add the results: sum of products. In contrast, ΠM (capital M) means a product of sums (Greek Π stands for product and Greek Σ stands for sum in many areas of mathematics, and the capital M stands for maxterms, which are sums). The expression should be \[(x + y! + z)(x! + y + z)(x! + y! + z)\tag{1}\]

Minimizing it involves distributivity of addition over multiplication: \[(a + c)(b + c) = ab + c\tag{2}\] This law is less intuitive than distributivity of multiplication over addition because the former is not true in arithmetic, unlike the latter. Nevertheless, it is true in Boolean algebra. There are two ways to apply it to (1). The first one is to use the first and third sums of (1) and set $a=x$, $b=x!$ and $c=y!+z$ in (2). The right-hand side of (2) becomes $xx! + y! + z$, which equals $y!+z$ since $xx!=0$ and $0+d=d$ for any $d$. Thus, the whole (1) equals $(y!+z)(x! + y + z)$. The second way is to use the second and third sums of (1) and set $a=y$, $b=y!$ and $c=x!+z$ in (2). The right-hand side of (2) becomes $yy!+x!+z$, which equals $x!+z$. Thus, the whole (1) equals $(x+y!+z)(x!+z)$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Thus, the whole (1) equals $(x+y!+z)(x!+z)$.
Are you 100% positive that is the right answer? Looks like my teacher got it wrong then. He has (y! + z)(x! + z) for the final answer.

shamieh said:
Are you 100% positive that is the right answer?
Why don't you check it using truth tables or another method?

My derivation to your teacher's answer seems a bit long, and I am not sure it's useful to post it. If you covered some methods for simplifying POS'es, you could post them and we can discuss how to apply them to this formula.

Related to Truth Table, Canonical Sum and Minimizing the Canonical Sum

1. What is a truth table?

A truth table is a logical table that displays all possible combinations of inputs and their corresponding outputs in a logical expression. It is used to determine the truth value of a logical expression.

2. What is a canonical sum?

A canonical sum, also known as a sum-of-products form, is a logical expression in which the input combinations that result in a true output are represented as the sum of their corresponding product terms. It is used to simplify logical expressions and make them easier to analyze.

3. How do you minimize a canonical sum?

To minimize a canonical sum, the expression can be simplified by combining terms with common factors and eliminating redundant terms. This can be done using Boolean algebra rules and laws such as the distributive and associative properties.

4. What is the significance of minimizing a canonical sum?

Minimizing a canonical sum is important because it reduces the complexity of logical expressions and makes them easier to understand and analyze. It also helps in reducing the number of logic gates needed to implement the expression, which can save time and resources.

5. Can all logical expressions be represented using a truth table and minimized canonical sum?

Yes, all logical expressions can be represented using a truth table and minimized canonical sum. This is because a truth table can display all possible input combinations and their corresponding outputs, and a canonical sum can represent the expression in a simplified form. However, some expressions may be too complex to be easily minimized and may require more advanced techniques.