Drawing Truth Tables etc. Some clarification please?

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drawing
In summary: If you're being asked to write an SOP for a given function, all you have to do is read out the row numbers. For each row with a $1$ in the $f$ column, add a term that represents the values of $x$, $y$, and $z$ for that row. If the $x$-value is a $0$, then put in $\bar{x}$. If it is a $1$, then put in an $x$. So, your next problem here will have to have$$f=\underbrace{\bar{x} \bar{y} \bar{z}}_{\text{Row 2}}+ \underbrace{\bar{x} \
shamieh
1a)Draw a truth table corresponding to f(X,Y,Z) = \(\displaystyle \sum\)m(0,2,5,7)

Apparently since I know that \(\displaystyle \sum\)m(0,2,5,7), I also intuitively know that\(\displaystyle \pi\)m(1,3,4,6) NOTE: I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANSso I know that I have 3 inputs. So I know I have 2^3 rows, starting at 0. So this part is easy, I know I have

1. x y z| f
  2. 0 0 0|1 <--- How do they get a 1 here? Isn't 0 AND 0 AND 0 = 0??
  3. 0 0 1|0 <- How do they get a 0 here?Isn't 0 and 0 = 1. Then 1 AND 0 =0 ??]
  4. 0 1 0|
  5. 0 1 1|
  6. 1 0 0|
  7. 1 0 1|
  8. 1 1 0|
  9. 1 1 1|

BUT, I'm not sure how they are getting the F column!

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
$f(x,y,z)=\sum m(0,2,5,7)$ is the definition of the function $f$. It means that those rows of the truth table get 1's, and the other rows get 0's. You could also write the function $f$ as follows:
$$f(x,y,z)= \bar{x} \bar{y} \bar{z}+ \bar{x}y \bar{z}+x \bar{y}z+xyz.$$

Ackbach said:
$f(x,y,z)=\sum m(0,2,5,7)$ is the definition of the function $f$. It means that those rows of the truth table get 1's, and the other rows get 0's. You could also write the function $f$ as follows:
$$f(x,y,z)= \bar{x} \bar{y} \bar{z}+ \bar{x}y \bar{z}+x \bar{y}z+xyz.$$

That makes complete sense! so $f$ would be 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1.

So now when it asks me - for the next question to -- Write out the canonical sum of products (SOP) expression for $$f(X,Y,Z,)$$" I would write:

$$ \bar{x} \bar{y} \bar{z} + \bar{x}y \bar{z} + x \bar{y}z + xyz$$

correct? So, my next question Ach.. Is when it says Minimize the expression of what I just got above, how do I go about minimizing that expression? What is the simplest way?

shamieh said:
That makes complete sense! so $f$ would be 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1.

So now when it asks me - for the next question to -- Write out the canonical sum of products (SOP) expression for $$f(X,Y,Z,)$$" I would write:

$$ \bar{x} \bar{y} \bar{z} + \bar{x}y \bar{z} + x \bar{y}z + xyz$$

correct? So, my next question Ach.. Is when it says Minimize the expression of what I just got above, how do I go about minimizing that expression? What is the simplest way?

Well, my favorite way is Karnaugh Maps, but I don't know if you've learned that, yet. I'd probably go this route:
\begin{align*}
f&=\bar{x} \bar{y} \bar{z} + \bar{x}y \bar{z} + x \bar{y}z + xyz \\
&= \bar{x} \bar{z}(y+ \bar{y})+xz(y+ \bar{y}).
\end{align*}
Can you continue?

Ackbach said:
Well, my favorite way is Karnaugh Maps, but I don't know if you've learned that, yet. I'd probably go this route:
\begin{align*}
f&=\bar{x} \bar{y} \bar{z} + \bar{x}y \bar{z} + x \bar{y}z + xyz \\
&= \bar{x} \bar{z}(y+ \bar{y})+xz(y+ \bar{y}).
\end{align*}
Can you continue?

We haven't learned Karnaugh Maps yet. Ahh I see! Factor by grouping and then y + y! = 1 right? so you're just left with \(\displaystyle \bar{x} \bar{z} + xz\) correct?

shamieh said:
We haven't learned Karnaugh Maps yet. Ahh I see! Factor by grouping and then y + y! = 1 right? so you're just left with \(\displaystyle \bar{x} \bar{z} + xz\) correct?

Right. I don't think there's anything else you can do with that.

Okay awesome, but now it says: 1b)Write out the canonical sum of products (SOP) expression for $f$(X,Y,Z) of 1a. (This was the truth table we just drew and solved above). So for this one my teacher had something like this in the $f$ column...so what would be going on here?

1. x y z | f
  2. 0 0 0| 1 <--- how are these numbers being implemented? this must be different from
  3. 0 0 1| 1 what we just did right?
  4. 0 1 0| 0
  5. 0 1 1| 1
  6. 1 0 0| 0
  7. 1 0 1| 1
  8. 1 1 0| 0
  9. 1 1 1| 1

Last edited:
shamieh said:
Okay awesome, but now it says: Write out the canonical sum of products (SOP) expression for $f$(X,Y,Z) of 1a. (This was the truth table we just drew and solved above). So for this one my teacher had something like this in the $f$ column...so what would be going on here?

1. x y z | f
  2. 0 0 0| 1 <--- how are these numbers being implemented? this must be different from
  3. 0 0 1| 1 what we just did right?
  4. 0 1 0| 0
  5. 0 1 1| 1
  6. 1 0 0| 0
  7. 1 0 1| 1
  8. 1 1 0| 0
  9. 1 1 1| 1

If you're being asked to write an SOP for a given function, all you have to do is read out the row numbers. For each row with a $1$ in the $f$ column, add a term that represents the values of $x$, $y$, and $z$ for that row. If the $x$-value is a $0$, then put in $\bar{x}$. If it is a $1$, then put in an $x$. So, your next problem here will have to have
$$f=\underbrace{\bar{x} \bar{y} \bar{z}}_{\text{Row 2}}+ \underbrace{\bar{x} \bar{y} z}_{\text{Row 3}}+\dots.$$
Can you finish?

So is this correct? Can someone check my work? That's essentially what I am asking.

1a) Draw the truth table corresponding to $f$((X,Y,Z,) = \(\displaystyle \sum\)m(0,2,5,7)
ANSWER:
x y z| f
0 0 0|1
0 0 1|0
0 1 0|1
0 1 1|0
1 0 0|0
1 0 1|1
1 1 0|0
1 1 1|1

1b)Write the canonical sum of products (SOP) expression for $f$(X,Y,Z,) of 1a.
ANSWER:
x!y!z! + x!yz! + xy!z + xyz

1c) Minimize the expression of 1b.
ANSWER:
x!z!(y! +y) + xz(y! + y) = x!z! + xz.

Last edited:
Yes, this is correct.

Can you check out my other Thread? I'm having a problem minimizing on one problem. http://mathhelpboards.com/discrete-mathematics-set-theory-logic-15/truth-table-canonical-sum-minimizing-canonical-sum-6492.html

Related to Drawing Truth Tables etc. Some clarification please?

1. What is a truth table?

A truth table is a visual representation of the logical relationships between propositions. It displays all possible combinations of truth values for a set of propositions and shows the resulting truth value for a compound proposition that combines the propositions using logical operators.

2. How do I create a truth table?

To create a truth table, first list all the propositions involved, then list all possible combinations of truth values for those propositions. Next, use logical operators (such as "and", "or", and "not") to combine the propositions and determine the resulting truth value for each combination. Finally, organize the truth values in a table with the propositions as columns and the combinations as rows.

3. What is the purpose of a truth table?

The main purpose of a truth table is to determine the logical validity or invalidity of a compound proposition. It can also be used to test the equivalence of two propositions, identify contradictions, and simplify complex logical expressions.

4. What is a tautology?

A tautology is a compound proposition that is always true, regardless of the truth values of its component propositions. In other words, it is a proposition that is true in all possible cases. This can be represented in a truth table by a column with all "T" values.

5. What is a contradiction?

A contradiction is a compound proposition that is always false, regardless of the truth values of its component propositions. In other words, it is a proposition that is false in all possible cases. This can be represented in a truth table by a column with all "F" values.