Truth Tables/Minimizing/SOP/POS Part 2

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
In summary, a truth table is a table used to determine the truth values of a logical statement by displaying all possible combinations of inputs and outputs. To minimize a logical expression, one can apply the rules of Boolean algebra to simplify the expression. SOP form is a way of representing a logical expression as a sum of products of its literals, while POS form represents the expression as a product of sums. The main difference between the two forms is the way the expression is represented, with SOP form being the simplest and POS form being the most complex.
shamieh
Need someone to check my answers once more. (Promise this is the last time lol)(Wasntme)

Draw the truth table corresponding to $f$(X,Y,Z) = \(\displaystyle \sum\)m(0,1,2,6,7)

Answer:
  1. x y z | f
  2. 0 0 0 |1
  3. 0 0 1 |1
  4. 0 1 0 |1
  5. 0 1 1 |0
  6. 1 0 0 |0
  7. 1 0 1 |0
  8. 1 1 0 |1
  9. 1 1 1 |1

Write out the canonical sum of products SOP expression for $f$(X,Y,Z) of problem above.

ANSWER:
x!y!z! + x!y!z + x!yz! + xyz! + xyz

Minimize the expression above.

x!y!z!+x!y!z+x!yz!+xyz!+xyz = x!y!(z! + z) + y(x!z! + xz! + xz) --->
= y[z!(x! + x) + xz] = (x! + x) + xz = 1 + xz = x!y! + xz?

Draw the truth table corresponding to $f$(X,Y,Z)= POSM(1,2,3) (product of sums symbol M)

ANSWER:
  • x y z | f
  • 0 0 0 |1
  • 0 0 1 |0
  • 0 1 0 |0
  • 0 1 1 |0
  • 1 0 0 |1
  • 1 0 1 |1
  • 1 1 0 |1
  • 1 1 1 |1

write out the canonical sums POS expression for $f(x,y,z) of the prob above.

ANSWER:
(x + y + z!)(x + y! + z)(x + y! + z!)

minimize the expression...

Just need someone to check my answers and help me solve the last problem.

Don't know how to minimize it when I can't factor it out. I also have 9 terms.. So I need to distribute it?

HELP

thank you.
Sham

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
Draw the truth table corresponding to $f$(X,Y,Z) = \(\displaystyle \sum\)m(0,1,2,6,7)

Answer:
  1. x y z | f
  2. 0 0 0 |1
  3. 0 0 1 |1
  4. 0 1 0 |1
  5. 0 1 1 |0
  6. 1 0 0 |0
  7. 1 0 1 |0
  8. 1 1 0 |1
  9. 1 1 1 |1
Correct.

shamieh said:
Write out the canonical sum of products SOP expression for $f$(X,Y,Z) of problem above.

ANSWER:
x!y!z! + x!y!z + x!yz! + xyz! + xyz
Correct.

shamieh said:
Minimize the expression above.

x!y!z!+x!y!z+x!yz!+xyz!+xyz = x!y!(z! + z) + y(x!z! + xz! + xz) --->
= y[z!(x! + x) + xz] = (x! + x) + xz = 1 + xz = x!y! + xz?
The first equality is correct. But what does ---> mean? Does it mean that you are dropping the first term x!y!(z! + z)? Next I don't understand where y from y[z!(x! + x) + xz] and z! from z!(x! + x) disappeared. If you do it correctly, you'll get x!y! + yz! + xyz. It's possible to turn it into x!y! + yz! + xy using some additional transformations, but I believe minimal POS will have three minterms.

shamieh said:
Draw the truth table corresponding to $f$(X,Y,Z)= POSM(1,2,3) (product of sums symbol M)

ANSWER:
  • x y z | f
  • 0 0 0 |1
  • 0 0 1 |0
  • 0 1 0 |0
  • 0 1 1 |0
  • 1 0 0 |1
  • 1 0 1 |1
  • 1 1 0 |1
  • 1 1 1 |1
Correct.

shamieh said:
write out the canonical sums POS expression for $f(x,y,z) of the prob above.

ANSWER:
(x + y + z!)(x + y! + z)(x + y! + z!)
Correct.

shamieh said:
minimize the expression...
I believe the answer is (x + y!)(x + z!). Instead of minimizing POS, you can take the dual expression x!y!z + x!yz! + x!yz, minimize it and take the dual again.

Related to Truth Tables/Minimizing/SOP/POS Part 2

1. What is a truth table?

A truth table is a table that displays all possible combinations of inputs and outputs for a logical expression. It is used to determine the truth values of a logical statement and can be used to simplify and analyze complex logical expressions.

2. How do you minimize a logical expression?

To minimize a logical expression, you can use the rules of Boolean algebra to simplify the expression. This involves using the laws of commutativity, associativity, and distribution, as well as the properties of identity, complement, and absorption. By applying these rules, you can reduce a logical expression to its simplest form.

3. What is SOP form?

SOP (Sum of Products) form is a way of representing a logical expression as a sum of products of its literals. It is commonly used in digital circuit design and is useful for simplifying and analyzing complex logical expressions. The SOP form is also known as the canonical form.

4. What is POS form?

POS (Product of Sums) form is another way of representing a logical expression, in which the expression is written as a product of sums of its literals. This form is also commonly used in digital circuit design and can be helpful in simplifying and analyzing logical expressions.

5. How is SOP form different from POS form?

The main difference between SOP and POS form is the way the logical expression is represented. In SOP form, the expression is written as a sum of products, while in POS form, it is written as a product of sums. This means that the terms in the expressions are joined by AND and OR operators, respectively. Additionally, the SOP form is the simplest form of a logical expression, while the POS form is the most complex.