Truss - ned someone to look through my calculations.

In summary, you can solve a 2x2 system for each joint to determine the forces and moments in a cantilever truss.
kaffekjele

Homework Statement

Original figure is here: http://tinypic.com/r/svrm39/6. The task is to calculate forces in N1, N2 and N5 with the correct sign.(+ or -)

The Attempt at a Solution

Figures and calculations attached. I fear it might be messy - especially when it comes to use of angles, but I'm hoping at least some of it is correct.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 300
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not see how you account for the reaction force of the wall at A and C.

Note you can determine these forces by assuming the truss is one rigid body in equilibrium with the wall.

Yes, I was thinking about that.But if I did add x and y force in C and D I assume the correct thing to do would be to start by looking at the truss as a whole and do moment and force calculations around one of the joints? Should I start in A or C?

Last edited:
You can choose any point, including A and C, about which to compute moments. It does not matter which one to choose. I would suggest D, because the sum of the moments of active forces about D is zero - can you see why?

I am not disagreeing with voko but in this case (a cantlilever truss) you can start the analysis at any joint such as E where there are not more than two unknowns. Then D, B, A, C in that order. It is then worth checking the result by looking at overall equilibrium. kaffekjele, these problems are all self-checking. You don't need us to do it for you.

pongo38 said:
kaffekjele, these problems are all self-checking.

Perhaps a stupid question, but is that based on the fact that sum of forces and moment should always be 0? (I'm doing physics for the first time in 14 years, so I fear a lot of what I learned in high school might have been forgotten.)

Last edited:
pongo38 said:
I am not disagreeing with voko but in this case (a cantlilever truss) you can start the analysis at any joint such as E where there are not more than two unknowns.

Indeed. The power of this approach is that you never have to compute any moments at all, you just solve a 2x2 system for each joint. So you end up solving 4 2x2 systems.

Yet, in the approach I suggested, one first solves a 3x3 system, then the reactions sought are obtained by a simple projection, so it may be quicker for this particular problem.

I think it will be instructive for kaffekjele to solve the problem using both methods.

voko said:
I would suggest D, because the sum of the moments of active forces about D is zero - can you see why?

The two F/2 cancel each other out regardless of whether you do the moment calculations clockwise or counter clockwise?

kaffekjele said:
The two F/2 cancel each other out regardless of whether you do the moment calculations clockwise or counter clockwise?

Correct!

quote "is that based on the fact that sum of forces and moment should always be 0?"
Yes. Introductory courses generally only use statically determinate examples, and there is always a spare equation to use for checking, whichever way you chose to do it. The ability to check is useful in exams to find silly mistakes, and it is useful in practical cases where there is no 'answer in the book'.

Related to Truss - ned someone to look through my calculations.

1. What is a truss and how is it used in engineering?

A truss is a structural element that is used to support a load. It is made up of interconnected triangles which distribute the load evenly across the structure. Trusses are commonly used in engineering for bridges, roofs, and other structures that need to support heavy loads.

2. What are the different types of trusses?

There are several different types of trusses, including the Pratt, Warren, Howe, and K truss. Each type has a unique design and is used for different purposes depending on the load it needs to support and the span of the structure.

3. How are truss calculations performed?

Truss calculations involve using principles of mechanics and structural analysis to determine the forces acting on each member of the truss. This is done by considering the external loads on the structure and applying equations and formulas to determine the internal forces and stresses.

4. What factors are considered in truss design?

When designing a truss, several factors need to be taken into account, including the type of load the truss will be supporting, the span of the structure, the materials used, and the desired aesthetic appearance. Each of these factors can impact the design and calculations of the truss.

5. Can a computer program be used to perform truss calculations?

Yes, there are several computer programs available that can perform truss calculations. These programs use complex algorithms and structural analysis methods to accurately determine the forces and stresses on each truss member. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of truss design and calculations before relying solely on a computer program.