Troubles learning Quantum field theory.

In summary, learning QFT can be challenging, especially when faced with a difficult accent and being a non-native English speaker. While lectures may seem understandable, it can be difficult when it comes to doing homework and calculations. Personal experiences vary, with some finding the lectures challenging and others finding them easier with good note-taking. Having access to various learning materials, such as textbooks and online resources, can greatly aid in understanding QFT.
Casco
Hi everyone, I'm having a lot of troubles learning QFT, personally I find it very challenging, besides that my professor has a very difficult accent and given that I'm not an English native speaker it is really hard for me to follow him. I would like to hear your experience learning QFT, Was it hard? I just want to hear your experience when you first encounter with this wonderful branch of physics.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
From my experience, lectures on QFT seem easy and understandable... because everything appears so normal and beautiful let us say...
The problem is when you have to do homeworks- then you understand that nothing is so obvious and a lot of calculations are tedious... eg several times I find myself saying "well at this point, if I've done one mistake it's over, I'll never find where"

I'm not so sure that this topic belongs here (??)

Last edited:
I found QFT lectures to be challenging at times. This is mainly because I didn't have time to review the notes or read the textbook before the next class. If I forgot what was discussed in the last class I usually found the current lecture hard to follow. I took good notes though so when I finally got around to catching up on the material I was able to make sense of it all.

This is just my personal experience. Is your professor following a book or is it his own notes?

Someone1987 said:
This is just my personal experience. Is your professor following a book or is it his own notes?

My professor is following Srednicki's Quantum Field Theory. I find it very nice nevertheless sometimes is not so great. I think that nowadays we are very lucky to have so many sources of books and learning material in the internet. For instance, I think that Peskin (Introduction to QFT) thogether with Srednicki make a awesame combination to learn QFT.

Hello there, learning Quantum Field Theory can definitely be a challenging task. It is a complex and abstract concept that requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. It is completely understandable that you are struggling, especially with the added difficulty of having a professor with a difficult accent and being a non-native English speaker. My advice would be to try and find additional resources, such as textbooks or online lectures, that may be easier for you to understand. It is also important to not get discouraged and to keep practicing and seeking clarification when needed. Every person's experience with learning QFT may be different, but it is a common struggle for many. Keep at it and don't hesitate to reach out for help or additional resources. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Troubles learning Quantum field theory.

1. What is Quantum Field Theory?

Quantum Field Theory is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles and fields at a subatomic level. It combines principles from quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain the interactions between particles and their associated fields.

2. Why is Quantum Field Theory difficult to learn?

Quantum Field Theory involves complex mathematical concepts such as Hilbert spaces, tensor fields, and Feynman diagrams. It also requires a strong understanding of quantum mechanics and special relativity, making it challenging for many individuals to grasp.

3. What are some common misconceptions about Quantum Field Theory?

Some common misconceptions about Quantum Field Theory include the idea that it is a complete and final theory of physics, when in reality it is still a work in progress. Additionally, many people believe that it only applies to subatomic particles, when in fact it can also describe macroscopic objects such as superconductors.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Quantum Field Theory?

To improve your understanding of Quantum Field Theory, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra. It is also helpful to study the history and development of the theory, as well as to practice solving problems and working through examples.

5. What are some real-world applications of Quantum Field Theory?

Quantum Field Theory has many applications in modern physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It is also used in the development of technologies such as superconductors and quantum computers.