Triple integral forming a solid region

In summary, the homework equation states that for a given point, there are six different ways to calculate the distance. The first equation is simpler, but it requires the distance to be known at the beginning.
nysnacc

Homework Statement

upload_2016-9-14_21-8-49.png

Homework Equations

Fubini's theorum

The Attempt at a Solution

I drawn the diagram with the limits (for x, y, and z)
and come up with something with 4 faces, 5 corners, 8 edges

is that something you guys got? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The number of corners and edges are correct. I don't think the number of faces is.

I also come up with a different number of faces

BvU said:
I also come up with a different number of faces
Like how many as what am I doing wrong??

upload_2016-9-15_8-50-27.png
The x limit is 0 and z, so for z, it is between y and 1, so I put 1 as upper limit for x.

upload_2016-9-15_8-53-51.png

nysnacc said:
Like how many as what am I doing wrong??The x limit is 0 and z, so for z, it is between y and 1, so I put 1 as upper limit for x.
One of the faces is part of the plane ##x=z##. You don't have that in your picture.

I count five faces on your drawings too...
z = 1 is one plane, a square face
x = 0 is a triangular face
y = 0 is a triangular face, not a square face: x runs from 0 to z, not from 0 to 1.
the other two triangular faces have x=y=z as edge in common

so it's like a square on top with the edges pointering to a single point on bottom?

nysnacc said:
so it's like a square on top with the edges pointering to a single point on bottom?
That's right - like the Great Pyramid (disregarding the references to 'top' and 'bottom'). This shape is known as a 'square pyramid'. The word 'square' is included to distinguish it from a tetrahedron or triangular pyramid. But in common language, the word 'pyramid' usually implies a square base.

nysnacc said:

Now that you have it, here's a nice picture:
upload_2016-9-15_16-38-50.png

Now the trick for you is to set up the six integrals. Do you see why when you do ##dz## first something is a bit more complicated?

Likes BvU

Related to Triple integral forming a solid region

What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is an integral that involves integrating over a three-dimensional region. It is used to calculate the volume of a solid region in space.

How is a triple integral calculated?

A triple integral is calculated by breaking down the region into smaller, simpler shapes such as rectangular prisms or cylinders. The integral is then evaluated over each of these smaller shapes and added together to find the total volume.

What is the difference between a double integral and a triple integral?

A double integral is used to calculate the area under a two-dimensional curve, while a triple integral is used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region. A triple integral involves integrating over three variables, while a double integral involves integrating over two variables.

What is the significance of a triple integral in physics and engineering?

Triple integrals are used in physics and engineering to calculate important quantities such as mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia for three-dimensional objects. They are also used to solve problems involving fluid flow, electric fields, and heat transfer.

Are there any applications of triple integrals in real life?

Yes, triple integrals have many real-life applications such as calculating the volume of a water tank, finding the center of mass of a car, and determining the amount of material needed for a 3D printing project. They are also used in fields such as architecture, astronomy, and computer graphics.