Bounded regions and triple integrals

What trig substitution can you use?In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a solid bounded by an elliptic cylinder and a plane in the first octant. The conversation covers different approaches to setting up the triple integral, including transformations and substitutions. The final suggested approach involves using a trigonometric substitution to solve the integral.
tix24

Homework Statement

a) sketch the region in the first octant bounded by the elliptic cylinder 2x^2+y^2=1 and the plane y+z=1.
b) find the volume of this solid by triple integration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already sketched the elliptic cylinder and the plane. my problem arises with the triple integration.
I do not understand if i have to find the volume of the entire solid or the volume of the solid in the first quadrant.
also i am having trouble setting up the integrals because of the ellipse. i tried both cylindrical coordinates and spherical but i get stuck because of the 2.

for spherical coordinates i get stuck at the following: rho^2sin^2(phi)(2cos^2(theta)+sin^2(theta))=1
for cylindrical i get stuck here: 2r^2cos^2(theta)+r^2sin^2(theta)=1

Physics news on Phys.org
i have also figuired the following integral out but I am not sure if it correct. i did this one in rectangular coordinates.

4(∫dx∫dy∫dz)

where the limits of integration for x are 0 to 1/√2
for y are 0 to √(1-2x^2)
for z are 0 to 1-y

can anybody comment on this?

You want to find the volume of the solid under ##z = 1 - y## and above the elliptic cylinder ##2x^2 + y^2 = 1## in the first octant, i.e ##x, y, z \geq 0##.

$$\iiint_V \space dV = \iint_R \int_0^{1-y} \space dzdA = \iint_R 1 - y \space dA$$

Now project the elliptic cylinder onto the x-y plane, this will allow you to obtain limits for ##x## and ##y##. To obtain these limits, I would suggest creating an invertible transformation between the ##(x,y)## and ##(u,v)## space and then finding the corresponding Jacobian.

i don't know how to do the transformations; owever, i have come up with the integral, the problem is i don't know how to compute it. i came up with the integral in rectangular form and it goes as follows
∫dx∫dy∫dz

for y are 0 to √(1-2x^2)
for z are 0 to 1-y

also i tried to convert cylindrical and spherical coordinates but was then stuck becasue of the two, any help on how to compute this integral would be greatly appreciated.

tix24 said:
i don't know how to do the transformations; owever, i have come up with the integral, the problem is i don't know how to compute it. i came up with the integral in rectangular form and it goes as follows
∫dx∫dy∫dz

for y are 0 to √(1-2x^2)
for z are 0 to 1-y

also i tried to convert cylindrical and spherical coordinates but was then stuck becasue of the two, any help on how to compute this integral would be greatly appreciated.

Your Cartesian integral looks fine, and can be handled with simple substitutions.

The reason I suggested the ##(u,v)## co-ordinate transform though is it will allow you to map the elliptic cylinder in ##(x,y)## space to a circle of radius 1 in the ##(u,v)## space. Now that you have a ##(u,v)## integral, you can apply polar co-ordinates to the circle and basically read limits off without thinking.

In case you want to try it, let ##x = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} u## and ##y = v##, the elliptic cylinder then maps to ##u^2 + v^2 = 1##.

Zondrina said:
Your Cartesian integral looks fine, and can be handled with simple substitutions.

The reason I suggested the ##(u,v)## co-ordinate transform though is it will allow you to map the elliptic cylinder in ##(x,y)## space to a circle of radius 1 in the ##(u,v)## space. Now that you have a ##(u,v)## integral, you can apply polar co-ordinates to the circle and basically read limits off without thinking.

In case you want to try it, let ##x = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} u## and ##y = v##, the elliptic cylinder then maps to ##u^2 + v^2 = 1##.
how can i solve the integral with simple subsittution? if i break the integral up into 2 diferent integrals and use the sum rule, in one integral i have a square root and u substituion does not hold for this case as far as i can tell, so how would i go about solving this problem?

tix24 said:
how can i solve the integral with simple subsittution? if i break the integral up into 2 diferent integrals and use the sum rule, in one integral i have a square root and u substituion does not hold for this case as far as i can tell, so how would i go about solving this problem?

You have the integral:

$$\iint_R 1 - y \space dA = \int_0^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}} \int_0^{\sqrt{1 - 2x^2}} 1 - y \space dydx = \int_0^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}} \sqrt{1 - 2x^2} - \frac{1 - 2x^2}{2} \space dx$$

The integral of ##\sqrt{1 - 2x^2}## should remind you of a first year integral. It is of the form ##\sqrt{a^2 - y^2}## and should ring bells about trig substitutions.

Related to Bounded regions and triple integrals

1. What is a bounded region in triple integrals?

A bounded region in triple integrals is a three-dimensional volume or space that is confined by specific boundaries or limits. These boundaries can be defined by equations, curves, or surfaces. In order to calculate the volume of a bounded region, a triple integral is used.

2. How do you set up a triple integral for a bounded region?

To set up a triple integral for a bounded region, you first need to determine the limits of integration for each variable. This can be done by looking at the equations or boundaries that define the region. Once the limits are determined, the triple integral is set up by integrating the function over each variable with its corresponding limits.

3. What is the purpose of using a triple integral for a bounded region?

The purpose of using a triple integral for a bounded region is to calculate the volume of the region. It is also useful in finding other properties of the region, such as center of mass or moments of inertia, by integrating functions over the region.

4. Can a bounded region have a non-constant density?

Yes, a bounded region can have a non-constant density. In this case, the triple integral would involve integrating the density function along with the other variables. This would give the mass or other property of the region.

5. How is a triple integral evaluated for a bounded region?

A triple integral for a bounded region is evaluated using integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts. The limits of integration should also be carefully considered and may require multiple integrals to fully evaluate the triple integral.