Trigonometry problem-belt driven pulley

In summary: So, the angle of the smaller pulley will be greater than $\displaystyle \theta_{2}$ which is the angle through which the larger pulley moves.
paulmdrdo1
A pulley with a radius of 10 inches uses a belt to drive a pulley with a
radius of 6 inches. Find the angle through which the smaller pulley turns
as the 10-inch pulley makes one revolution. State your answer in radians
and also in degrees.

can you rephrase the question for me. thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Trigonometry problem.

Through what angle must a point on the circumference of a circle having a radius of 6 units travel, to equal the distance traveled by a point on the circumference of a circle having a radius of 10 units which makes one complete circuit?

Can you set up an appropriate proportion, or use the arc-length formula?

i would use this,

$\displaystyle \frac{10}{\theta_{1}}=\frac{6}{\theta_{2}}$

then,

$\displaystyle \theta_{2}=\frac{6\theta_{1}}{10}$

but i don't know what $\theta_{1}$ is.

The ratio of the radius of the larger pulley to the angle through which the smaller pulley turns is equal to the ratio of the radius of the smaller pulley to the angle through which the larger pulley moves.

If this seems counter-intuitive, look at the arc-length formula:

\(\displaystyle s=r\theta\)

Since $s$ is the same for both pulleys, you may write:

\(\displaystyle s=r_1\theta_1=r_2\theta_2\)

If $r_1=10$, then what is $\theta_1$, recalling that this pulley moves through one complete revolution?

do you mean this ratio

$\displaystyle \frac{10}{\theta_{2}}=\frac{6}{\theta_{1}}$?

paulmdrdo said:
do you mean this ratio

$\displaystyle \frac{10}{\theta_{2}}=\frac{6}{\theta_{1}}$?

Yes, what is $\theta_1$, since it represents one complete revolution?

it would be $2\pi$

but why do we compare the radius of the larger pulley to the angle of the smaller?

i calculated the final answer to be $\displaystyle \frac{10}{3}\pi$

but I'm still confused. how do you know that ratio?

I find the arc-length method much more intuitive. We know the belt will cause the smaller pulley to turn more rapidly than the larger one since the circumference of the larger pulley is greater than that of the smaller pulley.

Related to Trigonometry problem-belt driven pulley

1. What is a trigonometry problem involving a belt driven pulley?

A trigonometry problem involving a belt driven pulley is one that requires the use of trigonometric functions and formulas to solve for unknown values related to the motion of a belt and pulley system.

2. How do I solve a trigonometry problem involving a belt driven pulley?

To solve a trigonometry problem involving a belt driven pulley, you will need to use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to calculate angles and sides of triangles. You will also need to use formulas such as the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric ratios to find unknown values.

3. What information is needed to solve a trigonometry problem involving a belt driven pulley?

The information needed to solve a trigonometry problem involving a belt driven pulley typically includes the radius of the pulley, the length of the belt, and the velocity or angular speed of the pulley. Additional information, such as the number of revolutions or time elapsed, may also be required.

4. What are some common applications of trigonometry in belt driven pulley systems?

Trigonometry is commonly used in designing and analyzing belt driven pulley systems in various industries, such as manufacturing, transportation, and robotics. It is used to calculate the speed, tension, and torque of the belt, as well as the size and placement of pulleys in the system.

5. Are there any tips for solving trigonometry problems involving belt driven pulleys?

Some tips for solving trigonometry problems involving belt driven pulleys include drawing a diagram of the system, labeling all known and unknown values, and using the appropriate trigonometric functions and formulas. It is also helpful to double check your work and make sure your answers make sense in the context of the problem.