What is the formula for calculating pulley diameters and rates of revolution?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Eabzolid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary: This is just a simplified version of the Laplace Transformation which is a bit more complex, but will still give you the same answer.
Eabzolid
I got a couple of questions to ask. And if you can just tell me how you would solve these like how would you setup the equation:

1. A bronze casting is made up of six parts copper, five parts tin, and one part antimony. The casting has a mass of 60KG. Find the mass of each component in Kg.

2. A 220 mm diameter pulley turning at 160 r/min drives another pulley at 450 r/min. What is the diameter of the driven pulley (to the nearest millimetre)?

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Eabzolid said:
I got a couple of questions to ask. And if you can just tell me how you would solve these like how would you setup the equation:

1. A bronze casting is made up of six parts copper, five parts tin, and one part antimony. The casting has a mass of 60KG. Find the mass of each component in Kg.

Thank you

If there are six parts copper, five parts tin and one part antimony, then how many parts are there in total? What proportion of the total is each ingredient?

Eabzolid said:

If we add all the parts given in the ratio, we see there are 6 + 5 + 1 = 12 parts. We find 60/12 = 5, so we can multiply the given ratio 6:5:1 by 5 to equivalently state the ratio of copper to tin to antimony as what?

Eabzolid said:
2. A 220 mm diameter pulley turning at 160 r/min drives another pulley at 450 r/min. What is the diameter of the driven pulley (to the nearest millimetre)?

Thank you

In one minute, the driving pulley rotates 160 times, and so (assuming no slipping between this pulley and the belt) a point on the belt will move 160 times the circumference of the driving pulley. Given that the driven pulley rotates 450 times during this same minute, and the linear relationship between diameter and circumference, then we know 160 times the diameter of the driving pulley has to be the same as 450 times the diameter $D$ of the driven pulley:

\(\displaystyle 160\cdot220=450D\)

So, solve for $D$, what do you find?

I put 160x220/450=78.22. Basically 78mm

Thanks a lot.

How would you approach a question or any questionn like that ??

Eabzolid said:
I put 160x220/450=78.22. Basically 78mm

Thanks a lot.

How would you approach a question or any questionn like that ??

I would approach it just like I posted, but another approach would be to use the arc-length formula:

\(\displaystyle s=r\theta\)

In terms of the diameter $D$, this would be:

\(\displaystyle s=\frac{D}{2}\theta\)

Since there are $2\pi$ radians per revolution, we could then state:

\(\displaystyle s=\frac{220}{2}\cdot2\pi\cdot160=\frac{D}{2}\cdot2\pi\cdot450\)

This reduces to:

\(\displaystyle 160\cdot220=450D\)

which matches my previous approach. Solving for $D$, we find:

\(\displaystyle D=\frac{160\cdot220}{450}\approx78\)

Oh wow. That formula is a bit complex, isn't there a different formula that can be used?

Eabzolid said:
Oh wow. That formula is a bit complex, isn't there a different formula that can be used?

Well, you could reason the the linear velocity $v$ of two given points, one on the edge of the driving pulley, and one on the edge of the driven pulley, must be the same:

\(\displaystyle v=r_1\omega_1=r_2\omega_2\implies r_2=\frac{\omega_1}{\omega_2}r_1\)

where $r_i$ are the radii and $\omega_i$ are the angular velocities. Since the angular velocity varies directly as the rate of revolution $R_i$, and the constant of proportionality must be the same for similar geometries, we can then state:

\(\displaystyle r_2=\frac{R_1}{R_2}r_1\)

And, since the diameter varies directly as the radius (again with identical constants of proportionalities), we have:

\(\displaystyle D_2=\frac{R_1}{R_2}D_1\)

The basic idea here is that the rate of revolution of a pulley varies inversely as its diameter (for some fixed belt speed):

\(\displaystyle R=\frac{k}{D}\)

Since the constant of proportionality $k$ will be the same for both pulleys (similar shapes), then we may state:

\(\displaystyle k=R_1D_1=R_2D_2\implies D_2=\frac{R_1}{R_2}D_1\)

Related to What is the formula for calculating pulley diameters and rates of revolution?

1. What is a ratio?

A ratio is a comparison of two quantities or numbers. It is typically written in the form of a fraction or with a colon (:).

2. How do I simplify a ratio?

To simplify a ratio, you need to find the greatest common factor (GCF) of both numbers in the ratio. Then, divide both numbers by the GCF to get the simplified ratio.

3. What are proportions?

Proportions are mathematical statements that show that two ratios are equal. They can be solved using cross-multiplication or by setting up equivalent fractions.

4. How do I solve word problems involving ratios and proportions?

To solve word problems involving ratios and proportions, you first need to identify the given information and what information you need to find. Then, set up a proportion using the given information and solve for the missing value.

5. How are ratios and proportions used in real life?

Ratios and proportions are used in many real-life situations, such as cooking, calculating discounts and sales, and scaling drawings or maps. They are also used in financial planning, engineering, and scientific experiments.

Back