Trigonometry Obscurity: Solving Triangle ABC

In summary, the conversation is about a confusing trigonometry question involving a triangle with given side lengths and an angle. The question asks for the length of the third side and the other two angles. The person is familiar with the sine and cosine rules but is having trouble applying them to this particular triangle. Another person suggests using the law of sines and law of cosines, which can be used for any triangle. They also mention that the law of cosines becomes Pythagoras' theorem when applied to a right triangle.
xenogizmo
Hey everyone,
I was looking over some old pre-calculus exams and I found this rather obscure looking question.. It's about trigonometry.

You're given a triangle ABC, and the legs are a (BC),b (AC), c (AB).
You're given the lenghts of a=5, b-8, and the angle C between them is 140.

The question is, what's the length of the leg "c" and what are the other 2 degrees?

Is that even possible?? :bugeye:
Thx,
--Xeno

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the sine and cosine rules?

Of course I am!
But they can only be applied to a triangle with a right angle, and I tried to divide this triangle to 2 with right angles but it just didnt seem to work out.. Any ideas?

devious is referring to the law of sines and the law of cosines...

Given any triangle with sides A, B, and C with angles [itex]\alpha, \beta, \gamma[/itex] (with A opposite [itex]\alpha[/itex], etc):

The law of sines:
[tex]
\frac{\sin \alpha}{A} = \frac{\sin \beta}{B} = \frac{\sin \gamma}{C}
[/tex]

The law of cosines:
[tex]
C^2 = A^2 + B^2 - 2AB\cos \gamma
[/tex]

(and, of course, similar formulae for the other choices of angle)

Last edited:
Notice that since cos(90) = 0, the law of cosine turns into pythagoras' (sp?) theorem with right triangles. That's the rule I assume you were talking about.

Related to Trigonometry Obscurity: Solving Triangle ABC

1. What is Trigonometry Obscurity?

Trigonometry Obscurity is a mathematical concept that deals with solving triangles using trigonometric functions.

2. How do I solve a triangle using Trigonometry Obscurity?

To solve a triangle using Trigonometry Obscurity, you will use the trigonometric ratios of sine, cosine, and tangent, along with the Pythagorean Theorem, to find the missing sides and angles of the triangle.

3. What is the importance of Trigonometry Obscurity?

Trigonometry Obscurity is important because it allows us to find missing sides and angles of triangles, which is useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation.

4. What are the key concepts to understand in Trigonometry Obscurity?

The key concepts in Trigonometry Obscurity include understanding the trigonometric ratios, the Pythagorean Theorem, and the relationships between sides and angles in a triangle.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Trigonometry Obscurity?

You can improve your understanding of Trigonometry Obscurity by practicing solving different types of triangles using trigonometric functions, and by familiarizing yourself with the properties and formulas associated with this concept.