Could you help me set up these geometric problems?

• MHB
  • Thread starter xyz_1965
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac
In summary, the conversation discusses the set up for finding sides AC and BC in a right triangle with given values for angles A and C and side AB. The participants also mention the use of cosine and sine ratios to find the sides and encourage the question-asker to gain confidence in their abilities. They also mention the possibility of providing a visual aid to help with understanding the problem.
xyz_1965
Right triangle ABC is given with angles A, B, and C, where angle C is 90 degrees. Angle A is 60° and side AB = 12 cm. Find sides AC and BC.

Here is the set up.

To find AC:

cos (60°) = AC/12

To find BC:

sin (60°) = BC/12

Is this correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes. With the usual notation, AB is the side opposite C, the right angle, so is the hypotenuse. Since you are given angle A, AC is the "near side" and BC is the "opposite side". cos(A) is "near side over hypotenuse" and sin(A) is "opposite side over hypotenuse".

Hopefully, you will soon have enough confidence in yourself that you won't need to ask questions like these!

Country Boy said:
Yes. With the usual notation, AB is the side opposite C, the right angle, so is the hypotenuse. Since you are given angle A, AC is the "near side" and BC is the "opposite side". cos(A) is "near side over hypotenuse" and sin(A) is "opposite side over hypotenuse".

Hopefully, you will soon have enough confidence in yourself that you won't need to ask questions like these!

I hope to get there soon. I found a few questions that I am stuck with in terms of a geometric figure. I will post each question later. I simply need help setting it up. If you can provide me with a picture, a visual of the situation, that would be so cool and helpful.

Related to Could you help me set up these geometric problems?

1. What is the purpose of setting up geometric problems?

The purpose of setting up geometric problems is to practice and improve problem-solving skills, as well as to deepen understanding of geometric concepts and principles.

2. How do I know which geometric principles to apply when setting up a problem?

When setting up a geometric problem, it is important to carefully read and analyze the given information and identify the relevant geometric principles that can be applied to solve the problem. These principles may include properties of angles, triangles, circles, or other geometric shapes.

3. Can you provide some tips for setting up geometric problems?

Some tips for setting up geometric problems include drawing accurate diagrams, labeling all given information and unknowns, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. It is also helpful to review and practice different problem-solving strategies, such as using the Pythagorean theorem or setting up proportions.

4. How can I check if my set-up for a geometric problem is correct?

To check if your set-up for a geometric problem is correct, you can use a variety of methods such as solving the problem using different approaches, plugging in values to see if the equations hold true, or using online tools or calculators to verify your solution.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when setting up geometric problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when setting up geometric problems include misinterpreting the given information, using incorrect formulas or theorems, and making arithmetic errors. It is important to double-check your work and be mindful of units and accuracy when solving geometric problems.